Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3977 posts
708 upvotes
Windsor
hagbard wrote: Glad this thread is still up. I'm feed up with Cogeco's crappy service and I'm considering this. Thought I'd try it out by getting a number, but the number they gave me is for London not Windsor!
I presume you're wanting a (519) number? It's in there in the list but under Waterloo I believe....
Apr 30, 2009
99 posts
6 upvotes
Windsor
G77 wrote: I presume you're wanting a (519) number? It's in there in the list but under Waterloo I believe....
Windsor numbers are 226, not 519. Who cares what the area code is, as long as it's local? I'd rather have a Windsor number than a 519 number that's long distance. So that's what I signed up for.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
champlinD wrote: as you said "you're a f*cking a$$clown"...you cant read.
Why don't you read Freephoneline forums and check...Oh wait...you can't read...

If you dont know how it works just move your mouse over above line and you will find the link...As you said you are " crappy a$$"
go troll somewhere else dumba$$. I asked a question, and you chose to open your fat pie hole and spew your half-a$$ed poor english all over this thread. That last sentence doesn't even make sense and you're making fun of MY understanding?!

Take your Ritalin and get the $%&^ outta here.
adamm
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30811 posts
1682 upvotes
Fernando Poo
PaulieG wrote: Windsor numbers are 226, not 519. Who cares what the area code is, as long as it's local? I'd rather have a Windsor number than a 519 number that's long distance. So that's what I signed up for.
I checked with Freephone, they said the number I got WAS Windsor...when I looked it up online it said it was a London number. I suppose I can look at it as a $150 gamble. I just don't want to be spending a lot of time dicking around trying to get things to work.

When I did try the service through my computer, the incoming call keep braking up, and she reported a echo on her end.
Apr 30, 2009
99 posts
6 upvotes
Windsor
hagbard wrote: I checked with Freephone, they said the number I got WAS Windsor...when I looked it up online it said it was a London number. I suppose I can look at it as a $150 gamble. I just don't want to be spending a lot of time dicking around trying to get things to work.

When I did try the service through my computer, the incoming call keep braking up, and she reported a echo on her end.
When I was getting my number, the only Windsor numbers available were 226. Perhaps things have changed in the 6 months or so.

I never use the softphone. The ATA works great, but I reported before that I had problems with LD calls. I've been too lazy to try to troubleshoot and fix them. I just dial again until I get a good connection.
May 8, 2004
988 posts
4 upvotes
ahh, thanks a lot, that really does help clarify a lot of things. i actually already have my security console + system installed in my house - it's using my rogers home phone line to dialout (which i believe is VOIP for rogers anyways).

do you recommend me getting adt to come look at it when i switch over to FPL to make sure everything is working properly (probably would be a service call... ) or can i just unplug it from my rogers line and put it in the ATA device - would that work by itself?

thanks again for all your help so far. much appreciated.
ShinNoodles wrote: No, the ATA does not have to be connected to the modem directly. I have my ATA adapter sitting behind a separate router. (You can use the built-in router feature of the ATA adapter if you wish.)

So you can choose between using a wireless bridge or powerline adapter in the basement where you can hookup your ATA adapter and your home phone base station close to the security console. Depending on the security system install tech, they will probably route the phone line from your ATA adapter directly to the security console first (security system always gets priority of the phone line), then hookup an external phone jack from the security console for you to connect your home phone base station.
May 8, 2004
988 posts
4 upvotes
so what's the best ata adapter to use? what features should i be looking for?

i'd need one that supports two analog phones (one for my security system, one for my phones). i'm a complete newb to this stuff :)

i'll be using freephoneline for my VOIP. i use an apple airport extreme base station as my router. and my internet is with rogers.

i was thinking about the linksys pap2t-na - roughly $50ish + tax...

but then saw a guy selling his dlink vta-cv for $30 - i was just gonna pick that up cuz it's cheaper. haha.

anyways, i just want something reliable and that will work well for a good price, like all RFDers!
Apr 30, 2009
99 posts
6 upvotes
Windsor
Col127 wrote: so what's the best ata adapter to use? what features should i be looking for?

i'd need one that supports two analog phones (one for my security system, one for my phones). i'm a complete newb to this stuff :)
AFAIK, you don't need a special ATA for this, unless you're planning to have two separate VoIP lines. Just plug in the security system into the ATA and then the phones into the line out jack on the security system. If not, then you can use a simple phone splitter. Well, that's unless you really want two separate VoIP lines.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30811 posts
1682 upvotes
Fernando Poo
One more thing, I read the first few pages of this thread and don't have a clue what anyone is talking about. So...is it going to be easy for ME to set this thing up?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
1377 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Col127 wrote: so what's the best ata adapter to use? what features should i be looking for?

Honestly, save your money. It does not matter what adapter you get. Just make sure that it:
1. is SIP compatible (VERY IMPORTANT); and
2. that it is unlocked (be careful with Vonage adapters)

The only other feature that I'd suggest going for is a dual line adapter. This way you can have two separate lines running off the same unit (even if they are from separate VOIP providers).

Two other features that only a handful of adpater have are and that are nice (wish list like):

1. Some adapters have is a POTS line port. Essentially, when the VOIP goes done (internet outage, VOIP server down, etc), the adapter switches over to a POTS line which guarantees that you always have an outgoing line. Unfortuantely this means that you have to keep an active POTS line with Bell, etc. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a VOIP line, but a must for businesses or telephony critical applications.

2. Also, some adapters have POTS gateway features which allow incoming callers to call on the POTS line, enter a long distance number, and have the call redirected via the VOIP line. Most Skype adapters tend to have this feature, but only a few VOIP units have it. Great for cell users since you can call your local home line (POTS based) and then make long distance calls via the VOIP line - hence no long distance costs on your cell bill. In fact, if you have a free call number on your cell plan, you can call your POTS line for every call and have the VOIP line redirect your call to other numbers (local or long distance).
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1610 posts
443 upvotes
Col127 wrote: ahh, thanks a lot, that really does help clarify a lot of things. i actually already have my security console + system installed in my house - it's using my rogers home phone line to dialout (which i believe is VOIP for rogers anyways).

do you recommend me getting adt to come look at it when i switch over to FPL to make sure everything is working properly (probably would be a service call... ) or can i just unplug it from my rogers line and put it in the ATA device - would that work by itself?

thanks again for all your help so far. much appreciated.
No problem. Glad I could help out. I don't think you need ADT to come look at it once you've switched over to FPL. Depending on the keypad that is installed for your security system, it will likely indicate to you if the phone line is not detected.

Now assuming that you get the ATA adapter all setup and you're able to make and receive regular phone calls, this is what you'll want to do to ensure that the security system is working as well. Call up ADT monitoring and tell them that you want to run a system test (so there are no false alarms), then arm your system and trigger one of your security zones. Let the siren go for a bit before you disarm it. This will ensure that the system actually dials out to the monitoring centre. To check that the system is dialing out, you can pick up your phone and see if you get a dial-tone. If there is no tone, then it is dialing out. Once you get a dial-tone back, call up the ADT monitoring centre and check that they received the signal. Make sure that they are able to see your number on the call-id and the zone that was triggered. If they can verify all this, then everything is working as it should!

i'll be using freephoneline for my VOIP. i use an apple airport extreme base station as my router. and my internet is with rogers.

i was thinking about the linksys pap2t-na - roughly $50ish + tax...

but then saw a guy selling his dlink vta-cv for $30 - i was just gonna pick that up cuz it's cheaper. haha.

anyways, i just want something reliable and that will work well for a good price, like all RFDers!
The Linksys PAP2T-NA is probably sufficient if you plan on using only VoIP as your phone provider and have no need for another router/switch. It will allow you to configure up to 2 different SIP services. If you need the router feature, then consider the SPA-2102. If you plan on ever needing to go back to POTS in combination with VoIP, then get the SPA-3102 which allows you to switch between regular POTS and VoIP service on the same handset.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you really only need 1 phone port on the ATA adapter because your security system gets the phone line first and then your handset is daisy-chained to your security console. I'm pretty sure that's how your system is setup now anyway with Rogers Home Phone.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
988 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
So, will this work with SIPdroid for android devices? If so, will it work for incoming AND outgoing? If so, sweet =)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2577 posts
502 upvotes
Just waiting for my config file now, and then a couple weeks for my number to be ported I guess.

Like others have said the softphone is garbage, people on the other end report reverb and echo, and yes, I have the correct ports opened/forwarded and I don't have this problem with Skype Out.

I'm wondering if the softphone sucking is semi-intentional to get people to splurge for the ATA & config file or just indicative of the quality of their servers (hopefully not after spending $130 + tax to get this going)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
988 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
DFS 360 wrote: Just waiting for my config file now, and then a couple weeks for my number to be ported I guess.

Like others have said the softphone is garbage, people on the other end report reverb and echo, and yes, I have the correct ports opened/forwarded and I don't have this problem with Skype Out.

I'm wondering if the softphone sucking is semi-intentional to get people to splurge for the ATA & config file or just indicative of the quality of their servers (hopefully not after spending $130 + tax to get this going)
I actually had/have no problems with the softphone. I have never been on the receiving end though but I have asked and from what I am told I sounded normal.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2577 posts
502 upvotes
EmperorOfCanada wrote: So, will this work with SIPdroid for android devices? If so, will it work for incoming AND outgoing? If so, sweet =)
I have heard Fring for iPhone works, so I think it is just a matter of inputting the SIP settings.
EmperorOfCanada wrote: I actually had/have no problems with the softphone. I have never been on the receiving end though but I have asked and from what I am told I sounded normal.
Could have been the fact that I was using the built in mic & speakers on a netbook for FPL and a new iMac w/ external sound card and semi-pro vocal mic for Skype, unfortunately there is no SPL softphone for OS X.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1179 posts
38 upvotes
Anyone use SPA1001? Is it Ok for freephoneline?
Dec 26, 2007
433 posts
36 upvotes
if it's free, who pays the service? if no one pays the service, then you can't expect any quality of service.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1693 posts
267 upvotes
Brampton
vostro wrote: if it's free, who pays the service? if no one pays the service, then you can't expect any quality of service.
they get money from people buying the config file and also their pay service from 295.ca. FPL also has long distance plans for anywhere in canada, anywhere in north america, and anywhere in the world. FPL's basic service is free, and it may be enough for a lot of users, but they obviously have a lot of monthly paying customers or they wouldn't have lasted this long.
adamm
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30811 posts
1682 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Guess if they go out of business, so does the service. Something to think about before forking over 150 clams.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1060 posts
147 upvotes
If they go out of business in case, what happened to my phone number?
I no longer own it? Lost in space? :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

electricianvince