Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6942 posts
2686 upvotes
GTA
quanta wrote: No problem. Yes, the release notes indicates it will fix a bunch of crash bugs. I just installed it. It retained all my configuration settings too - great!

One point of warning - when I logged back in, I noticed the clock was reading Greenwich time (i.e. 5 hours ahead of EST). Navigating to Network Settings, Time Settings and clicking Submit seems to have reset the time back to normal.
I would suggest you wipe configuration and start from scratch. There could be orphan values from obsolete variables still there and/or new variables that may overlap in memory with some obsolete variables.
Always good idea to start from scratch.

If everything works well then you can leave it be... but i always start from scratch on every firmware update for any device.
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
135 upvotes
Thrasher wrote: OK, I signed up for freephoneline and received a 587 Calgary number. I have a Calgary 403 number with Mobilicity and unlimited local (province-wide) calling. Before I realized I do not have call forwarding on my BTS $25 plan, I tried to set up forwarding to my FPL number. It did not work for obvious reasons but to my surprise I could not even make a phone call to my FPL number from my cell. I called Mobilicity and they could not find out what was wrong. I was able to call that number only if there was money in my wallet. I also successfully dialed a different 587 number from my phone but not the FPL number. Has anyone else encountered this?
I was going to call FPL but they do not have a number I can call :facepalm: . Before I shoot off an email to them I was wondering if anyone experienced this and if there is an easy solution to this.
When I signed up with FPL I received the new 587 area code for Calgary. I was able to call the regular old 403 numbers without any issues (no charge) within the Calgary local calling area and across the FPL free calling areas.

I had a Shaw home phone and I was able to login to my Shaw account and setup a call forward/simultaneous ring, so that I was able to keep my old number functioning while I tested FPL via an ATA. I later ported the number over from Shaw to FPL.

I did have a problem yesterday with no outcalling (getting a fast busy signal) but incomming calls were going through. This was resolved by the evening hours. This was widely reported for most FPL users.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1307 posts
289 upvotes
Has anyone ever had to call 911 from a FPL line? How bad or good was the experience?
Jan 16, 2013
1 posts
sos: (NO CALL DISPLAY)
This morning, I did setup my ATA (Linksys RTP 300)with sip file. It does work.
The only problem is when someone else calls me, there is no caller id on my home phone.
When I call someone else, he/she can see my caller id correctly.
It seems incoming Caller id display has some problems.
Help me to fix it, please!!! (I have tried a few hours.)
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1769 posts
1196 upvotes
bluenote wrote: Has anyone ever had to call 911 from a FPL line? How bad or good was the experience?
I've never used it in a real situation, but I tried it once to make sure it works. Basically, your call is transfered to a first operator (my mother tongue is French, and the operator did speak French, but you could tell it was not her mother tongue... I don't know how lucky I was to speak with a French-speaking operator), who will validate your info, and then transfer your call to the real 911 center.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8633 posts
1350 upvotes
TO
Wow my fpl service suddenly started working after like 2 weeks out if no where. Although incoming calls were routed to voicemail it is functioning ok now.

Thanks to the above post about 911, didn't know they transfer to an.operator, who then forwards to an actual call Centre.

I think I'm paying additional $1.50 for 911 with VoIP.ms, but they don't keep that, it's for the 911 service.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8871 posts
1363 upvotes
Anyone in the Vaughan/Woodbridge area want to swing by my house and setup my 122? I'm too lazy to even attempt and read all the settings. Of course I would pay them lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
20031 posts
29446 upvotes
ONTARIO
Anyone else having constant disconnect issues every single day? I see "Can't connect to login server" multiple times a day now. It never used to be like this. Service was rock solid for a year. Now ever since their last major over a month ago I've been getting stupid disconnect issues.

The worst part is FPL won't even admit there's anything wrong with their service. If you go to their forums, under the FPL support section, you can see multiple people complaining of the same issue. A lot of the responses are how it must be your ATA/Router configuration. Give me a break. So suddenly all the people complaining about the same issue have ata/router issues that is unrelated to FPL? I think not.

While I don't want to, I will be switching to another service, like voip.ms if this keeps up.
Mar 19, 2010
318 posts
38 upvotes
I've ordered the ATA device thing ($59) and paid for my # to be ported in on January 1st, and i've yet to receive the item or even any e-mails about my order (this is from Fongo). They don't even have any # i could use to contact them. What should i do? This is beyond frustrating.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15826 posts
3670 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
BobSagget wrote: Anyone else having constant disconnect issues every single day? I see "Can't connect to login server" multiple times a day now. It never used to be like this. Service was rock solid for a year. Now ever since their last major over a month ago I've been getting stupid disconnect issues.

The worst part is FPL won't even admit there's anything wrong with their service. If you go to their forums, under the FPL support section, you can see multiple people complaining of the same issue. A lot of the responses are how it must be your ATA/Router configuration. Give me a break. So suddenly all the people complaining about the same issue have ata/router issues that is unrelated to FPL? I think not.

While I don't want to, I will be switching to another service, like voip.ms if this keeps up.
I'm having similar issues as well. Have to replug my ATA and it connects afterwards.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8633 posts
1350 upvotes
TO
weedb0y wrote: I'm having similar issues as well. Have to replug my ATA and it connects afterwards.
Was having the same cannot connect to server issue even after unplugging ATA.
Dec 25, 2012
11 posts
10 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Anyone else having constant disconnect issues every single day? I see "Can't connect to login server" multiple times a day now. It never used to be like this. Service was rock solid for a year. Now ever since their last major over a month ago I've been getting stupid disconnect issues.

Same thing happens to me a couple of times a day since for weeks now! It had been rock solid for more than a year before this.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54852 posts
19671 upvotes
Is there any way to get an email notification when my pap2tna device is not able to connect to the FPL server? Since I switch settings (posted info in this thread), I have a dial tone every time I picked my phone up.

I just want to know if it is down the rest of the time I don't try and test it out. :)

Maybe I should use an automated program to call home and see if all the calls are logged.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2016 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
I am having problems too. No inbound and outbound calls at this moment.
alanbrenton wrote: Is there any way to get an email notification when my pap2tna device is not able to connect to the FPL server? Since I switch settings (posted info in this thread), I have a dial tone every time I picked my phone up.

I just want to know if it is down the rest of the time I don't try and test it out. :)

Maybe I should use an automated program to call home and see if all the calls are logged.
I tried searching this and doesn't seem available...I am going to see if there is a ping service that will ping freephoneline and send an email out if the pings do not respond. Anyone know if this will work?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4988 posts
275 upvotes
Stoney Creek
I get a dial tone, but cannot place or receive any calls. I updated the firmware last week and tried rebooting the ATA, but I think this time it's FPL's problem. (first time for me that I noticed it being them since I signed up last year)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3789 posts
288 upvotes
Same problem here. Not even a dialtone. On the SIP settings, it says .. Registration State: Failed

EDIT: problem fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1621 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
I just rebooted my ATA - things seem to work now. I received a call a couple hours ago but suddenly I would only get calls going straight to voicemail.

This is getting hard to troubleshoot...I just may take porksoda's advice and wiping the configuration. What a PAIN.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $68 150 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi / Ampli
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4988 posts
275 upvotes
Stoney Creek
I didn't reboot my ATA and everything is working now. I think FPL just fixed whatever the problem was on their end.
Jun 26, 2007
599 posts
273 upvotes
h00ch wrote: I didn't reboot my ATA and everything is working now. I think FPL just fixed whatever the problem was on their end.

I am planning to switch my landline to freephoneline. Is is worth to switch, specially after reading all issues?
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
135 upvotes
armaan wrote: I am planning to switch my landline to freephoneline. Is is worth to switch, specially after reading all issues?
Do you have a good reliable internet connection?
Are your ping tests to voip.freephoneline.ca reasonable? (ie. below 150 ms is good, under 100 ms is great)
Try an online virtual voip test for your call quality.
Do you have a cell phone that could be used as backup?

Signup for freephoneline.ca and get a new local number. Contact your landline company and you can request to forward your existing line to your new fpl number while you test out the service to see if you want to port your number over and kiss your POTS goodbye. Read through the whole thread, there's lots of good info.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)