Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Jun 26, 2007
102 posts
10 upvotes
Thanks T-Bone for your Obi100 guide. Very helpful. I now use your settings to make my Obi100 adhere to the new FPL requirements. And, with the X_UserAgentPort number -- yeah, I use a number other than 5060*, and now there are no more SIP scanner bogus calls coming in. :-)

*in this X_UserAgentPort field, you need to put in some random number greater than 5060 and less than 65535.
Dec 28, 2006
539 posts
77 upvotes
I have a UTStarcom ATA (firmware V4.8.2.50b).
  • I was already using port 5060
  • I can only choose one server address. I was using voip.freephoneline.ca, but was receiving a busy signal when trying to call out yesterday and this morning (incoming calls worked) so I changed it to voip2.freephoneline.ca and that seems to have solved the problem.
  • The Expires field was already set to 3600 so I've left that alone.
  • I've set the NAT keep alive interval to 20 (previously 15)
  • There is a field called Registration Assurance Timer that was set to 180. I changed that to 120 guessing that it corresponds to the Failed Registration Re-Try Interval, however; it's also possible that it could represent the Registration Expiry so should be set to 3600. I'm not 100% sure and there are no fields marked Registration Expiry or Failed Registration Re-Try Interval. I assume Registration Assurance Timer is one of the two and guessed that it was the Failed Reg Retry since the numbers were close (changing 180 to 120 seems to make more sense than changing 180 to 3600).
If anyone can shed some light on what they think the Registration Assurance Timer field on my ATA is it would be appreciated. I want to avoid any downtime if possible. I've posted in the Fongo forums as well so hopefully someone can confirm what that field means. My ATA doesn't seem to be one of the ones commonly used - if I was buying a new one I'd grab an Obi, but this ATA has worked for me, with issues here and there (unrelated to the ATA itself - they've been either freephoneline issues or router QOS setting issues), for a couple years now.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1079 posts
29 upvotes
Hello everyone

I'm a long time user of freephoneline.ca for about 3 years now.

I'm using a Linksys ATA and everything has been working well apart from the occassional outage here and there.

However, over the last few days while I'm talking there's this annoying 'robotic' like screeching that comes and goes.

can anyone help?

Cheers

fogo
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
134 upvotes
Has anyone enabled the Obi device to switch to the alternate server if the primary one goes down? (ie. switch from voip.freephone.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca)

I found a tread related to this about voip.ms but I though we could do it with fpl since we now have 2 choices. Here's the jist of it:

1. On the OBi, enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy (under ITSP Profile/SIP).

2. Enter just "freephoneline.ca" for the ProxyServer. Leave other servers (Registrar, etc.) blank.

3. On your OBi Network settings, look for the section heading Local DNS Records, and enter a record like this:

"freephoneline.ca=voip.freephoneline.ca,voip2.freephoneline.ca"

*** I've not tested this this yet. Just looking at tinkering around after making the latest changes in preperation for the March 30th deadline.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1079 posts
29 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 3:48 pm
Has anyone enabled the Obi device to switch to the alternate server if the primary one goes down? (ie. switch from voip.freephone.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca)

I found a tread related to this about voip.ms but I though we could do it with fpl since we now have 2 choices. Here's the jist of it:

1. On the OBi, enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy (under ITSP Profile/SIP).

2. Enter just "freephoneline.ca" for the ProxyServer. Leave other servers (Registrar, etc.) blank.

3. On your OBi Network settings, look for the section heading Local DNS Records, and enter a record like this:

"freephoneline.ca=voip.freephoneline.ca,voip2.freephoneline.ca"

*** I've not tested this this yet. Just looking at tinkering around after making the latest changes in preperation for the March 30th deadline.
Sorry, but what's happening at the end of March?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1079 posts
29 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:
Mar 26th, 2013 10:08 am
Starting March 30th, FPL will suspend your account until you comply with their required settings.

http://www.forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3637f5c439

I imagine this thread will be very busy at the start of April if FPL acts on this.

Thank you

One question about the settings mentioned in your link. Are they for my ATA device or for my router?

Cheers

fogo
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4951 posts
249 upvotes
Stoney Creek
fogo wrote:
Mar 26th, 2013 2:04 pm
thank you

one question about the settings mentioned in your link. Are they for my ata device or for my router?

Cheers

fogo
ata
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1539 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
anyone else's phone not working today.
two lines here not working.
wondering if its system wide or just my settings??
Apr 1, 2004
708 posts
35 upvotes
my line is not working. didn't change anything recently so most likely it is their system got problem again.

edit: looks like it is fixed now.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1206 posts
237 upvotes
Is anyone aware of a way to monitor the uptime on my ATA? I see (I'm guessing) the asterisk guys posting logs of when they couldn't register, but I'd like to be able to know definitively when my ata isn't able to register without having to run an asterisk server. Really, all I want is an alert when it is not registered.

Any ideas?

thanks
Oct 25, 2007
44 posts
4 upvotes
bluenote wrote:
Mar 26th, 2013 4:44 pm
Is anyone aware of a way to monitor the uptime on my ATA? I see (I'm guessing) the asterisk guys posting logs of when they couldn't register, but I'd like to be able to know definitively when my ata isn't able to register without having to run an asterisk server. Really, all I want is an alert when it is not registered.

Any ideas?

thanks

It's a little techie to do, but you can set up a syslog server (that will email you system events that are logged), and then point your ATA's syslog client at the syslog server. In my Obi202, the syslog client setting are found under "System Management" -> "Device Admin".
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1206 posts
237 upvotes
ntsux wrote:
Mar 26th, 2013 11:15 pm
It's a little techie to do, but you can set up a syslog server (that will email you system events that are logged), and then point your ATA's syslog client at the syslog server. In my Obi202, the syslog client setting are found under "System Management" -> "Device Admin".
Thanks, I'll try this.

On another note, can anyone tell me, I don't get incoming caller name/address. Is there a way to enable this?
I'm guessing not, since incoming CNAM cost with VOIP.ms and others.

Could I somehow get my ATA to query CNAM with a paid account somewhere?

thanks