Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 1:58 pm
No, the device can receive firmware updates via OBiTALK Service even if Auto Firmware Update is disabled.
If true, that's interesting.

No firmware has been updated without my explicitly applying the firmware upgrade since I received the product in 2013.
The only time firmware was auto updated was when I initially installed the product and used the web portal.

And immediately afterwards, I disabled auto update. Obitalk provisioning is set to "periodically" in my ATA.

In at least one instance, I didn't update firmware for 4 months after a new firmware release.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1790 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
I know what I am talking about. OBi ATAs can receive forced firmware updates via OBiTALK Service, if Auto Firmware Update is disabled. This has been documented heavily on forums, including by Obihai staff.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 5#msg21575
To maintain OBiTALK OBi-to-OBi calling functionality (and related features), Obihai may make configuration or software modifications to devices that use the OBiTALK Service. Otherwise, when there is a ‘service’ affecting issue, we may need to update its config or software. This is memorialized in the OBiTALK terms of service and this is what we did on Wednesday. There are no backdoors on Obihai products.
He confirms on the next page that OBiTALK Provisioning and OBiTALK Service must be disabled to prevent software upgrades. Auto Firmware Update has nothing to do with it.

Edit for clarity: Obihai does not always push firmware updates without users' interaction. But, they can.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 2:14 pm
I know what I am talking about.
okay

"Auto Firmware Update & ITSP Provisioning are parameters used primarily by ITSPs " -- that I didn't realize (for auto update)
Auto Firmware Update has nothing to do with it.
Would the fact my interval is set to 2147483647 have anything to do with it?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1790 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
The interval is used when the Method is set to Periodically. In this case, the device will check on system start, and then every interval seconds. With a value that high, it would be relatively equivalent to setting the Method to System Start.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 2:23 pm
The interval is used when the Method is set to Periodically. In this case, the device will check on system start, and then every interval seconds. With a value that high, it would be relatively equivalent to setting the Method to System Start.
I see. Guess it's random luck (or a bug) then. Hard to believe I haven't restarted/unplugged the ATA during the 4 month timeframe when it wasn't updated.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
Seems to be some in-fighting amongst beta testers. lol. Quite the thread

Edit: I can see why some dislike the web portal. I've certainly noticed downtime, and then there's forced updates and potential security issues. Hmm
Typically when something is online or in the cloud, I automatically figure I just chuck privacy and security out the window anyway.

One tradeoff with not using the portal is not having OBiPlus to fool around with if you have an OBi202.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
OilyBob wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 12:02 am
Does anybody know, if I already have a phone # with Fongo on my smart phone, can I use the same phone number on my desktop as a softphone?
You can't.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
Price seems to have jumped $10. :(

But I guess there wasn't a price increase in 5 years.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 11:00 am
Price seems to have jumped $10. :(
They need to update their website. It clearly reads "Offer expires February 28".
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 2:42 pm
It's true that they don't seem to update their website often, but where do see February 28, for the Voip unlock key?

http://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#
Oh, sorry, I think was looking at another site they linked me to for internet and phone combined. Worldwide phone + internet with a note that that particular offer expired Feb 28. (outside of that possible explanation, I forget why I typed that-sorry.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 10:40 pm
Oh, sorry, I think was looking at another site they linked me to for internet and phone combined. Worldwide phone + internet with a note that that particular offer expired Feb 28. (outside of that possible explanation, I forget why I typed that-sorry.)
Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
boon1 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2015 8:50 pm
The link I mentioned is to divert all spam calls to Auto Attendant and to enable making calls via Obi200 from selected phone # (You'll need to setup OutboundCallRoute).
With an OBi202, people have access to two more Auto Attendants with ObiPlus basic (free subscription). These AAs are intended for day/night business cycles (with day = business open and night = business closed): aa3 and aa4, respectively. So, because I don't want to change prompts for aa, which I and others in my household use to call into (including automatic callbacks when hanging up before AA picks up), I've enabled ObiPlus Basic and am now routing Telemarketers to aa4. Works well. They're getting SIT tones for "this phone number is not in service" after I changed the User prompt audio.

http://www.obihai.com/obiplus

Anyway, I wanted to say that I thought your solution to this issue with FPL was creative (FPL doesn't allow call forwarding and wants all calls picked up for incoming termination fees to its network; consequently, call forwarding doesn't work with FPL, and any attempts to call forward automatically sends the call to FPL's voicemail). I wouldn't have otherwise even thought of using OBiPlus Basic to enable the other AAs. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8101 posts
2374 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 5th, 2015 11:23 am
With an OBi202, people have access to two more Auto Attendants with ObiPlus basic (free subscription). These AAs are intended for day/night business cycles (with day = business open and night = business closed): aa3 and aa4, respectively. So, because I don't want to change prompts for aa, which I and others in my household use to call into (including automatic callbacks when hanging up before AA picks up), I've enabled ObiPlus Basic and am now routing Telemarketers to aa4. Works well. They're getting SIT tones for this phone number is not in service after I changed the User prompt audio.
Too bad user prompts lengths can't be significantly longer. I wouldn't mind putting Lenny on AA3.