Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1801 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
1. Yes.
2. First, look up the name of your rate centre using https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-co ... nge-detail . It may be the same as the name of your city; it may not. Then, see if the rate centre is listed at http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... e-numbers- .
3. No. You only get one number per account. If you need more than one number, consider a service provider such as VoIP.ms, Anveo, or Callcentric.
4. From FONGO_steve: "all paid and/or certified accounts will never be deleted for inactivity".
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2775 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
PianoGuy wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 10:05 am
1. Yes.
2. First, look up the name of your rate centre using https://www.telcodata.us/search-area-co ... nge-detail . It may be the same as the name of your city; it may not. Then, see if the rate centre is listed at http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... e-numbers- .
3. No. You only get one number per account. If you need more than one number, consider a service provider such as VoIP.ms, Anveo, or Callcentric.
4. From FONGO_steve: "all paid and/or certified accounts will never be deleted for inactivity".
Awesome, thanks
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Jul 20, 2004
992 posts
120 upvotes
Anyone have a step by step link to setting up Google voice (I already have a google voice number) on a obihai 100 on SP2. I setup FPL on SP1 using manual configuration a year ago and never used the obihai talk portal.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mar 8, 2004
769 posts
258 upvotes
Brampton
bobsackamano wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 3:43 pm
Anyone have a step by step link to setting up Google voice (I already have a google voice number) on a obihai 100 on SP2. I setup FPL on SP1 using manual configuration a year ago and never used the obihai talk portal.
Any help would be appreciated.
From my understanding it isn't possible without the portal.

There are a couple options as I was in your position a couple days ago:

1)Reset and start from scratch using the portal. Good if you have a pretty basic setup. Everything will be managed through the portal. If you setup with just the basic fpl guide then this is a piece of cake as they have a preconfigured setup for freephoneline in the portal that works.

2)Save the current config from device management. Setup obi talk portal then go into the obi expert section and import the backup you made. Then enable Google voice on sp2. This will retain all customizations but not reflect them in the portal. Good for more advanced setups that you don't intend on changing.

3) this is the route I chose. Start all over. Use the portal to enable GV on sp2. Then disable obi talk from the device itself. Then re-configure everything manually. I chose this route because I'm not a big fan of the portal and it forced me to learn more of the obi which actually resulted in me making a sweet digit map that meets our houses needs better. Plus I have the flexibility of making modifications locally and not through the portal.

The portal works okay for 90% of the things you may want to do but I just don't like the idea of all my info being dependent on the portal being active. If obi talk portal goes down one day then so will my service. I don't like that. Or worst yet, the portal pushes a bad firmware update. Then you'll be screwed
Jul 20, 2004
992 posts
120 upvotes
TheDoctah wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 6:28 pm
From my understanding it isn't possible without the portal.

There are a couple options as I was in your position a couple days ago:

1)Reset and start from scratch using the portal. Good if you have a pretty basic setup. Everything will be managed through the portal. If you setup with just the basic fpl guide then this is a piece of cake as they have a preconfigured setup for freephoneline in the portal that works.

2)Save the current config from device management. Setup obi talk portal then go into the obi expert section and import the backup you made. Then enable Google voice on sp2. This will retain all customizations but not reflect them in the portal. Good for more advanced setups that you don't intend on changing.

3) this is the route I chose. Start all over. Use the portal to enable GV on sp2. Then disable obi talk from the device itself. Then re-configure everything manually. I chose this route because I'm not a big fan of the portal and it forced me to learn more of the obi which actually resulted in me making a sweet digit map that meets our houses needs better. Plus I have the flexibility of making modifications locally and not through the portal.

The portal works okay for 90% of the things you may want to do but I just don't like the idea of all my info being dependent on the portal being active. If obi talk portal goes down one day then so will my service. I don't like that. Or worst yet, the portal pushes a bad firmware update. Then you'll be screwed
Thank you!
I am not sure it worth the hassle to set up google voice as I rarely call the U.S. I honestly thought it would be easier but I don't want to mess up my current setup.... Plus if it aint broke dont fix it :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
T-Bone wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 3:48 pm
Has anyone enabled the Obi device to switch to the alternate server if the primary one goes down? (ie. switch from voip.freephone.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca)

I found a tread related to this about voip.ms but I though we could do it with fpl since we now have 2 choices. Here's the jist of it:

1. On the OBi, enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy (under ITSP Profile/SIP).

2. Enter just "freephoneline.ca" for the ProxyServer. Leave other servers (Registrar, etc.) blank.

3. On your OBi Network settings, look for the section heading Local DNS Records, and enter a record like this:

"freephoneline.ca=voip.freephoneline.ca,voip2.freephoneline.ca"
If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

For OBi200/202

1. Navigate to Router Configuration-->WAN Settings-->Local DNS Records

For OBi100/110

1. Navigate to System Management --> Network Settings-->Local DNS Records

(instructions follow for all models)

2. Pick an unused/blank value. Enter

Code: Select all

freephoneline.ca={voip.freephoneline.ca,x},{voip2.freephoneline.ca,y},{voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060,z}
3. Change x,y,z to a number between 1 and 3, where the number represents priority (that is, what server you want to register with first before others).
My pings/jitter with voip.freephoneline.ca tend to be better than those from voip2.freephoneline.ca, which in turn are better than pings/jitter with voip4.freephoneline.ca.
So x, y, and z for me would be 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Navigate to Service Providers --> ITSP Profile (FPL) --> SIP
5. For Proxy server, enter freephoneline.ca
6. Registrar server should be blank
7. enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy
(submit/save/reboot)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3386 posts
175 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
Webslinger wrote:
Apr 1st, 2015 1:44 pm
If you use obitalk.com to configure your ATA, continue using it. Otherwise, dial ***1, and enter the IP you hear into your web browser.

For OBi200/202

1. Navigate to Router Configuration-->WAN Settings-->Local DNS Records

For OBi100/110

1. Navigate to System Management --> Network Settings-->Local DNS Records

(instructions follow for all models)

2. Pick an unused/blank value. Enter

Code: Select all

freephoneline.ca={voip.freephoneline.ca,x},{voip2.freephoneline.ca,y},{voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060,z}
3. Change x,y,z to a number between 1 and 3, where the number represents priority (that is, what server you want to register to first before others).
My pings/jitter with voip.freephoneline.ca tend to be better than those from voip2, which in turn are better than pings/jitter with voip4.
So x, y, and z for me would be 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Navigate to Service Providers --> ITSP Profile (FPL) --> SIP
5. For Proxy server, enter freephoneline.ca
6. Registrar server should be blank
7. enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy
(submit/save/reboot)

Perfect thanks, can't really test it though unless the server goes down lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
Jeff146 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2015 2:25 pm
Perfect thanks, can't really test it though unless the server goes down lol.
You could try to use a firewall to block one of the servers.

Or temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca

Then can see that you'll register on voip2.freephonline.ca, in my example.

Next temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca and voip250.freephoneline.ca.
In my example, you can then see that you'll be registered on voip4.freephoneline.ca
May 29, 2005
598 posts
118 upvotes
Nepean
Can somebody try this out for me please:

set your FPL to sequential followme to another phone
enable voicemail in your FPL
call your FPL number from a free Fongo number

Does your call get routed to the voicemail? My fongo number does not do that and I'm not sure if it's Fongo or FPL. I've tried this on two different FPL numbers from one Fongo number.

Another crazier scenario that I've found:
FPL with simultaneous followme and call from a Fongo number - when the FPL picks up it automatically drops the call if you let it ring it doesn't go to the voicemail.

If I have followme disabled then everything works fine witht the Fongo number calling in.

Support did not have an idea what was happening.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jamzbe wrote:
Apr 1st, 2015 2:46 pm
Can somebody try this out for me please:

set your FPL to sequential followme to another phone
enable voicemail in your FPL
There is no way to disable FPL voicemail anyway.
jamzbe wrote:call your FPL number from a free Fongo number

Does your call get routed to the voicemail?
No. The followme number rings as expected.
May 29, 2005
598 posts
118 upvotes
Nepean
Webslinger,

So did you call using a Fongo (free mobile) number account? Everything works fine from FPL numbers and from normal numbers from what I can tell. It's only when a fongo number calls into my FPL number which forwards to my cell phone that it doesn't end up in my voicemail. If I call from my GV number the sequence will be FPL-->cell phone-->voice mail. If I go from a fongo number then it goes FPL-->cellphone-->nothing. I've tried this with three Fongo numbers.

I also changed the followme number to my work and it did the same thing.

Well I think I'm going to give FPL support an email.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15809 posts
21235 upvotes
ONTARIO
ugh, this was annoying.

My obi100 has been connected to my FPL all day today. Or at least showing it was connected.
Tried to call home today and it would not go through even though the Obi100 was showing REGISTERED.
It was only after I unplugged the obi and plugged it back in and reregistered that incoming calls started working again.

dont know what that was about but it's annoying to think that I may have missed calls.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1978 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it possible to get a free 1800 number from them or another company?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jamzbe wrote:
Apr 6th, 2015 8:43 pm
Webslinger,

So did you call using a Fongo (free mobile) number account?
Yes
It's only when a fongo number calls into my FPL number which forwards to my cell phone that it doesn't end up in my voicemail. If I call from my GV number the sequence will be FPL-->cell phone-->voice mail. If I go from a fongo number then it goes FPL-->cellphone-->nothing. I've tried this with three Fongo numbers.
Wait. I thought you were saying your followme number doesn't ring. So the actual problem is FPL voicemail isn't picking up?

Edit: Yes, I can reproduce this. FPL voicemail will not pick up when dialing from a Fongo mobile number with sequential call forwarding enabled.

However, I can get my cellphone voicemail to answer.
Another crazier scenario that I've found:
FPL with simultaneous followme and call from a Fongo number - when the FPL picks up it automatically drops the call if you let it ring it doesn't go to the voicemail.
Yeah, I can't get FPL voicemail in this scenario either.

I originally thought your complaint was the followme numbers weren't ringing at all.