Computers & Electronics

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 10:58 pm
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Hi Webslinger, master of FPL and ruler of OBIHai.

Do you know if it's possible to save a conversation "after" it happened? (for the many cases I keep forgetting to plan and record the phone call before it happens)
Or is there an option to "always/auto" record conversations? (then I go in and delete what I don't need)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Hi Webslinger, master of FPL and ruler of OBIHai.
lol

I am neither.
Do you know if it's possible to save a conversation "after" it happened?
Not possible.

You're basically recording a live stream.

Or is there an option to "always/auto" record conversations? (then I go in and delete what I don't need)
No. I don't know how useful this thread is, but it might give you some ideas: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2348.0. I've never tried creating a script either for recording, so I can't answer any questions.

If you have Google Voice, you might want to look at this: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115082?hl=en
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2146 posts
957 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: I thought Newegg.ca only ships Obihai ATAs via Purolator, but maybe that's just in Ontario.

Port Fowarding is a security risk and should only be done when all else fails. So, I hope you were having issues before port forwarding.

That's the wrong (16600-16798) RTP range for the desktop app. That's the RTP range for Obihai ATAs. Forwarding 16600-16798 is going to do sweet nothing for the desktop app.

I believe the desktop app uses ports 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001 if you're going to port forward for the desktop app (you need to port forward to the LAN IP of the computer you're using. For most home networks the IP will begin 192.168.xxx.x).

I would start just by port forwarding 13000-13001 only, which is for RTP. If that still doesn't work, you can try adding 6060 or 6061. The most dangerous ports to forward are 5060-5061 and really shouldn't be necessary if you're forwarding 6060 or 6061 anyway. I guess if all else fails, forward all of them: 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001

Also, visit newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400977, and read that post fully (in particular for your OBi200). Especially look at all of the preamble and step 9 (ensure SIP ALG is disabled in whatever router you're using; contact your ISP if you have to. It's usually better to stick their garbage router/modem combo in bridge mode and to have your own router).

These are all UDP ports.

5060, 5061, 6060, and 6061 should be alternate SIP ports.

Make sure that you're not muting anything (microphone/speakers), and that you tested to ensure your mic is working before fiddling around with the app: http://win10faq.com/fix-microphone-settings/
Looks like you were right, and they shipped Purolator... but it took more than a week to arrive. Anyways, even though FPL did not work on my laptop and my desktop, it seems to be working just fine with Obi200 even though I went back to my modem and my router and disabled all port forwarding. Thank you very much again for all your help and all your instructions.

I am now in the process of porting my home number to FPL. Does anybody know how long it usually takes? FPL's website says that it is 14 days, but I am hoping that perhaps it is the worst case scenario..
Mar 5, 2015
236 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: Hi Webslinger, master of FPL and ruler of OBIHai.

Do you know if it's possible to save a conversation "after" it happened? (for the many cases I keep forgetting to plan and record the phone call before it happens)
You could always setup a asterisk server and have calls routed through that. So basically have FPL register on asterisk, and have the obihai connect to the asterisk server. That way you can auto-record calls on the asterisk server.

I even have asterisk running on a Raspberry Pi, and its possible to do it that way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: Looks like you were right, and they shipped Purolator... but it took more than a week to arrive. Anyways, even though FPL did not work on my laptop and my desktop, it seems to be working just fine with Obi200 even though I went back to my modem and my router and disabled all port forwarding.
Without seeing what your settings were for port forwarding, I can't analyze why one doesn't work and the other does properly.
It may not have been a blocked port issue at all. Possibly RTP packets were being sent to your LAN IP as opposed to your WAN IP.

Regardless, Obihai ATAs have more settings to deal with 1-way audio issues than FPL's desktop app: newegg-ca-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50- ... st26439605

X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled by default in OBi200s, for example.

FWIW, I posted a fair number of guides in this thread: newegg-ca-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50- ... g-2015663/

You may find something useful.

I am now in the process of porting my home number to FPL. Does anybody know how long it usually takes? FPL's website says that it is 14 days, but I am hoping that perhaps it is the worst case scenario..
http://status.fongo.com/

Please note, our number porting completion times are currently running between 14-21 business days. Sorry for the inconvenience. - 2016-03-16 14:36"

and

http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... r-porting-
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2146 posts
957 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Please note, our number porting completion times are currently running between 14-21 business days. Sorry for the inconvenience. - 2016-03-16 14:36"
Argh... and I was hoping for a couple of days instead of 2 weeks.. now it looks like it may even be around 3 weeks..

Anyways, thanks yet again. I think you should do consulting or something for FPL and/or OBIHAI. :D I certainly found your posts much much more useful than anything on the FPL and ObiTALK websites!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: I certainly found your posts much much more useful than anything on the FPL and ObiTALK websites!
Thank you. One day, I'm probably going to run into problems, so hopefully someone here will help me out too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: No, unfortunately I only use FPL. Isn't Google Voice another provider just like FPL?
Well, yeah, the provider is Google. You have an Obihai ATA, so I thought you might be using Google Voice. I guessed poorly.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: Well, yeah, the provider is Google. You have an Obihai ATA, so I thought you might be using Google Voice. I guessed poorly.
The thread is called freephoneline :P
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2146 posts
957 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: No, unfortunately I only use FPL. Isn't Google Voice another provider just like FPL?
Webslinger wrote: Well, yeah, the provider is Google. You have an Obihai ATA, so I thought you might be using Google Voice. I guessed poorly.
Why not have Google Voice on your Obihai ATA as well? It'd let you make outgoing calls if FPL servers are down (have no idea how often that happens or if it happens at all)... considering that the setup for GV is much easier than that for FPL.. and is free :)
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: Why not have Google Voice on your Obihai ATA as well? It'd let you make outgoing calls if FPL servers are down (have no idea how often that happens or if it happens at all)... considering that the setup for GV is much easier than that for FPL.. and is free :)
Honestly I didn't look into it at all. Can you help me with some links how it works? Free eh? Always thought you had to pay.
Jul 1, 2006
597 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
Webslinger or anyone else I am looking for some clarification here

basically I have had FPL (DID) since 2010 and have it setup on Linksys PAP2T....no issues what so ever in all these years!
Now I also have OBi200 device, which I bought 2 years ago and never get around configuring it.

I would like to configure OBi200 device like following:
- FPL (DID) incoming and outgoing
- VoIP.ms for .Int calling (outgoing only)
- GV for NA calling (outgoing only)

is this setup possible?
if not, why not? if so, how?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
xscorpio wrote:
I would like to configure OBi200 device like following:
- FPL (DID) incoming and outgoing
newegg-ca-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50- ... st26439617
(most guides are in that thread)

Setup FPL on SP1
VoIP.ms for .Int calling (outgoing only)
Setup VoIP.ms as a voice gateway: newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400985
except use SP1(whatever sever you have specified in your voip.ms web portal) for step 1e
GV for NA calling (outgoing only)
You'll need to use the Obitalk web portal.
If you setup GV on SP2, for example, by default, you'll be dialing **2 + phone number to dial out on GV.
newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26401325

If you do not have a GV phone number, I will not be providing assistance with getting one.

Click http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 0#msg56460 and read fully

If you have a GV # and don't want your phone to ring, you can do this: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115106?hl=en

is this setup possible?
Yes
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Hey Webslinger Whaty build do you recommend us to use now, I'm still on 4822 build. I had to update my google voice password and doing so my device updated to 56xx wand downgraded back to 4822 but wondering if I should upgrade instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Hey Webslinger Whaty build do you recommend us to use now, I'm still on 4822 build. I had to update my google voice password and doing so my device updated to 56xx wand downgraded back to 4822 but wondering if I should upgrade instead.
Since there are no release notes available for the latest firmware versions, I don't recommend anything other than what works well for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Thank will stick to 4822.

Just an FYI, between webif and obitalk portal. As stated above I had to change my GV password, in doing so I had to enable remote provisioning (disabled this months ago and manually setup everything). I was afraid once enabled it would wipe my FPL settings on SP1, but to my surprise it didn't. I never configured anything on the obi portal except GV, all I had top do was correct the admin password on the portal and enable device provisioning and it updated SP2 leaving SP1 intact. I should have just enabled SIP provisioning instead of using the **5 phone code which would have prevented the firmware upgrade.

It did change the Phone Port config which was easy enough to fix since I copied most of the settings.
Oct 26, 2009
750 posts
196 upvotes
does FPL ever offer a discount on the $80 VOIP unlock key? Like a black friday/boxing week special? I remember when this used to be $50. Boo.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
What are the main things one should do immediately after buying an obi ATA and setting up FPL.

I'm happy I've ported my number and can make and receive a phone call but since I see this thread is up to 382 pages....I feel I should do more???? Also does not help when I see disable port this and forward port that and grab this service or that service.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Be sure your ATA is set up as per the official guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090 . There are a great deal of unofficial guides with bad instructions on the web.

You should not be using port forwarding unless you are compensating for a specific issue and there is no other way to solve it. You should never use DMZ. Other than that, as long as things are working properly, leave it alone and enjoy it. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)