Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
h00ch wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 11:37 am
I've been using Freephoneline for a few years now and recently moved and got a new number, but now the incoming caller ID does not work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I used all the same settings as my previous number at the old house, I just changed the phone number and user name password
What brand and model ATA are you using?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
4951 posts
249 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 1:03 pm
What brand and model ATA are you using?

I have a SPA112, but I saw that the CID setting was set to "no" somehow. I didn't change it and it was set to Yes previously. Oh well, working now. Thanks anyways for the reply :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
h00ch wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 3:03 pm
I have a SPA112, but I saw that the CID setting was set to "no" somehow. I didn't change it and it was set to Yes previously. Oh well, working now. Thanks anyways for the reply :)
Okay, glad you got it working. I would have asked you to check if you had Block CID enabled, and early SPA112 firmware versions had CID issues.
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
6008 posts
1701 upvotes
So is Freephoneline the best for cheap or free VOIP phone services?

I am going to get SHAW landline home phone on a promo (for $10 / month) ... but after the promo ends, considering getting some other phone service, cheaper one (even VOIP phone service), as I mostly use my cell phone with 24/7 talk time on it ....

I simply might wanna keep the phone number that Shaw issued to me already (my install with them is this Friday -- for TV, internet and Shaw home phone), after that $10 / m. Promo with them ends...

Any suggestions on cheap or free reliable home phone service(s) ... be it landline or VOIP service?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

BTW, I am in Winnipeg ... (if that matters at all).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 5:39 pm
So is Freephoneline the best for cheap or free VOIP phone services?

In the long run, FPL is the cheapest. "Best" is pretty subjective--and it really depends on your situation. FPL doesn't have as many features as some other VoIP services.

I would recommend starting here: newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... st24563083

FPL is $70+tax for as long as you use FPL. It costs $25+tax to port your phone number. And then you need an ATA. For home use, Obihai 200/202 ATAs are the best. The last time an Obihai 200 was on sale, it cost $40+tax from Newegg.ca.

Each 911 call costs $35 with FPL. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $0.80 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.)

Those are all one time fees (except for E911).

FPL is not a good choice for those that require a lot of hand holding. Technical support is not free. You will mostly just have access to its user to user support forums.

BTW, I am in Winnipeg ... (if that matters at all).
It does matter. FPL's SIP servers are in Ontario. Ping is delay. The shorter the path, the less likely for problems to arise along that path.

Again, I would recommend clicking newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... st24563083 and starting from there.

You can also try FPL's desktop app for free: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/ (you will need a microphone and a headset or speakers). Make sure you test on a computer that's attached to your router. If the app works well enough for you, FPL's service should work for you as well using an Obihai ATA.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
6008 posts
1701 upvotes
^ ^ ... thanks for your post, Webslinger ...

I'll check it all out (including the link you gave me).
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3999 posts
1301 upvotes
Little question: my obihai200 (with FPL) works at my house, at my friend's house, but not at my uncle's house.

What should I look into, to get it working at my uncle's?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
def47 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2016 10:48 pm
Little question: my obihai200 (with FPL) works at my house, at my friend's house, but not at my uncle's house.

What should I look into, to get it working at my uncle's?
We're going to need a better description of what you mean by not working. That's not enough information.
What's the problem exactly? Do you get an error message? How do you know it's not working? What happens?

What brand and model router is he using? What ISP?

Dial ***1, and enter the IP you're told into your web browser.
Navigate to Status-->System Status
For SP(FPL) Service Status, is the device registered with FPL?

If you navigate to Status-->Call History do you recognize phone numbers you dialed or ones that tried to ring you at your uncle's place?
Do you see anything abnormal?

Try http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/start
Ignore anything that says to use DMZ or port forwarding for now.
Let us know what the conclusion the troubleshooter reaches.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
3373 posts
16394 upvotes
Montreal
Just signed up to FPL on Monday, installed my ObiHai 202 and everything seems to be working ok for now. I've applied some of the parameter settings that Webslinger suggested. I have a Netgear R7000 router and unchecked the SIP AIG checkbox on the router - so far so good with the tests that I've been doing to see if I get any dead air..but I do notice a lot of white noise/static on the calls I make.

Can it be my configuration somehow? Or just the old antique 90's phone that I'm using for testing [lazy and don't want to bring the main panasonic upstairs for now]

Edit: Think I found my own answer:
"Sometimes this could be caused by interference--like placing the OBi unit too close to an electrical device, modem, monitor, etc. Try moving it to different locations, even if it is only a few feet away to see if it helps."

My Obi is <12" from the router and a NAS drive...I'll switch patch cables later and see.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
krazykanuck wrote:
Feb 10th, 2016 11:36 pm
but I do notice a lot of white noise/static on the calls I make.
1. First thing I would do is try a different phone.

2. Some users have reported switching the ethernet port to full duplex fixes static noise. Force OBi202 to use 100Mbit Full duplex by doing the following:

Dial *** 0
Enter option 27 and press #
Press 1 to set a new value
Enter a value of 1
Press 1 to confirm/save
Hang up
Your ATA should reboot at this point.

3. Definitely try moving your ATA away from other devices to see if that helps.

4. Some other people mentioned the power supply adapter being an issue here:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3814.0

But that was for the OBi110/100 series, I think.

If the issue is the adapter, you may be able to get Obihai to send you a new one, but I think I would just ask for a replacement from the point of purchase (probably Newegg Canada). Also visit http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8754.0

If you try **9 222-222-222 and still get static, obviously the issue isn't FPL.
Nov 27, 2013
299 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My internet seems to be losing connection during call. Is there a simple fix for this?
Wireless: Koodo $60/10gb, Koodo $35/5gb, PM $23/1gb, PM $13/250mb, Freedom $2/day PYW
Internet: EBOX || Home: OBI, FPL, GV || Hosting: RFD Directhosting
Oneplus One (15)||Lumia 710 (12)||LG Gossip (10)||LG Chocolate (07)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jksp22 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2016 10:40 pm
My internet seems to be losing connection during call.
Does the call drop to dead air or to dial tone?

Does the call drop randomly or during a specific time interval?

You should state what your router brand and model is. Also state your ATA model (guess by your signature the brand is Obihai).

Possible causes of randomly dropped calls to dialtone include

1) Other devices in your househould hogging bandwidth.
Try enabling QoS in your router for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual.

2) Your internet service between you and FPL's SIP server sucking horribly during prime time (typically between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.), possibly due to congestion in your area. If the problem is congestion in your area, the problem is with your ISP. For Freephoneline.ca (Ontario based, possibly around Milton), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping 100 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want. You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping).

Another possibility includes an oversubscribed SIP server, but that's not easy to determine, unless the problem is happening to the majority using a specific sever.

If the call is dropping at specific time intervals or you're getting calls dropping to dead air, you're probably dealing with a different issue.
Nov 27, 2013
299 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think the call is good, but other devices connected all lose connection
Wireless: Koodo $60/10gb, Koodo $35/5gb, PM $23/1gb, PM $13/250mb, Freedom $2/day PYW
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jksp22 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 11:25 am
I think the call is good, but other devices connected all lose connection
lol Oh well, then you're not having problems with FPL.

Try setting your Obihai ATA Ethernet port to full duplex:

Dial *** 0
Enter option 27 and press #
Press 1 to set a new value
Enter a value of 1
Press 1 to confirm/save
Hang up
Your ATA should reboot at this point.

Visit this thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2642.0

I would also still suggest you look into QoS settings on your router for all of your devices. But it's better to have your situation--where calls aren't dropping but your other devices and services are instead (the reverse would be worse).
Nov 27, 2013
299 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tried it, and a few minutes later I tested whether it worked, but other devices still lost internet.

I also have another problem where the following doesn't seem to block two numbers that I want blocked. I changed the following for SIP1 (which is FPL). Also tried x_blockcallers with "number,number,mynumber". But I still get the calls coming in. Did I make a mistake?

User Settings >> User Defined Digit Maps:
(Choose any unused Digit Map and add as many numbers as you like.)
Label: Telemarketers
DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|5556664444) where 5556664444 is my number.

The following may be set as the InboundCallRoute of any Service Provider, or the LINE port on the OBi110.
InboundCallRoute: {(MTelemarketers):},{ph}