Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
253 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yea, he was a machine. Anytime I popped in I'd see posts from him helping people or people pointing to his posts. Patient too. I can see this thread slowing down or being more questions.
Jun 10, 2007
156 posts
28 upvotes
What a lost. The #1 contributor had left because of 1 smart alex.

I thank Webslinger, my ATA setup was why easier with the guide he created.
Nov 13, 2009
7 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
On a longer call, after around 15-20 mins, the call quality seems to drop a bit, breaks up, I tried 2 servers voip and voip2 and have a ping around 27-33 using winMTR, also have a 500u Mbps download and pretty much had full bandwidth at that time.
Anyone else experienced this ? is there a way I can measure or log jitter / call quality or check any setting?
Thanks
May 6, 2009
84 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal
I also want to take the time to thank Webslinger personally .
Without his help and knowledge and him creating the pdf guide we all used i would of never gotten into FPL nor succeed on my own.
Thanks again and hope you reconsider, we miss you !
Nov 13, 2009
7 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
imixitup wrote: On a longer call, after around 15-20 mins, the call quality seems to drop a bit, breaks up, I tried 2 servers voip and voip2 and have a ping around 27-33 using winMTR, also have a 500u Mbps download and pretty much had full bandwidth at that time.
Anyone else experienced this ? is there a way I can measure or log jitter / call quality or check any setting?
Thanks

Anyone has some advice on fixing this?.. getting to be quite embarrassing on my calls, my thoughts are now freephoneline somehow is throttling or limiting "free" voip key subscribers on longer calls (starts out fine for first 10 mins or so).
Jun 9, 2006
488 posts
57 upvotes
imixitup wrote: On a longer call, after around 15-20 mins, the call quality seems to drop a bit, breaks up, I tried 2 servers voip and voip2 and have a ping around 27-33 using winMTR, also have a 500u Mbps download and pretty much had full bandwidth at that time.
Thanks
I've had the same issue. Any help would be much appreciated!
Apr 8, 2007
764 posts
166 upvotes
Webslinger,

pls come back... vote if you agree/care.

I appreciate all your efforts helping/contributing to this thread.
Running on hackintosh in 2011: I5 ivy Bridge 3.10 HD3000, Zotac 1030 2G video card, HDMI 2.0 cable, 16G RAM( max out at 1600mhz) on a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo with ITB Crucial MX500 SSD, With 4K 60HZ UM7300AUE as a monitor> Retina Display
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3869 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
Wow... Webslinger was really amazing and helped me so many times. Really sad to see how two people argued for nothing and lost a great resource.
Jul 19, 2011
546 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Out of the loop, what's going on in this thread? lol
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3869 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
gromacs wrote: Out of the loop, what's going on in this thread? lol
I was out of the loop too.. see last 15 or posts to catch up :)
Last edited by cessnabmw on Mar 20th, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8058 posts
1897 upvotes
Mont-Royal
No one knows what if someone can go through a hard moment. Webslinger might be really busy or under stress for things that are out of his control, or is currently living under stressful moments, he is the only know who knows best how this works and help everyone for free.

I hope he is well. No one here helps as much as he did. He put his priority here. All hats off. Those who don't know what they are talking about are delusional.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
15111 posts
3727 upvotes
Does anyone know if Obihai support codec compression?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
May 31, 2016
137 posts
40 upvotes
Hi all,

I have an Obi200 and set it up with 3 lines: FPL (Canada), Google Voice & a UK one.

It was working perfectly, even after the Google Voice update, until I accidentally deleted the Obi200 from the list of my incoming call devices on my Google Voice account.

I intentionally have device provisioning and the Obitalk service disabled, as I prefer to use the direct IP address and manage it from there.

So what I did was as follows:
1. Backed up all my settings via the IP login.
2. Re-enabled auto provisioning and the obitalk service
3. Deleted and re-added GV via the obitalk web portal.
4. After some time, my GV line was then working properly again.
5. Logged in via the IP address and my other two lines were not working.
6. Re-loaded my backed up settings.
7. Other two lines were now working, but GV was unable to connect now.

So ultimately when re-loading my backed up settings, it seems to somehow be killing GV.

When Google ended xmpp support last year, these steps were exactly what I did when re-enabling GV and everything worked without issue. The only difference was that I didn't delete/re-add GV when doing that (because I didn't need to), but rather just let it do the update. But it still had the same problem where I then needed to reload my backed up settings to get my other two lines working again. But when I did that, GV kept working fine.

When I login via the obitalk web portal, it just says the status of my Obi200 is offline. I'm assuming this is because I have auto provisioning, etc. turned off.

When I login with the IP address login, for the GV line, it says "Connect Failed: No Response" along with the IP address.

Any ideas here? Like I say, it appears when reloading my backed up settings, it's somehow killing GV. I'm guessing that because I had to delete and re-add it, something key has changed compared to previously, and my reload is wiping that.

Hoping someone can help please :-)

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3673 posts
1916 upvotes
I've tried Freephoneline.ca for a few months. I have attempted to use it with a number of Android phones and I find it to be absolute trash. Aside from constantly having mess around with firewall settings (disabling SIP ALG just to get Groundwire to connect properly), the call quality is abysmal. I've seen people stating that Android causes issue x, y and z but I'm not buying any of it anymore. The funny thing is, I use many other apps such as WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, BBM, Amazon (and others) for VoIP calling and all of them are problem free and crystal clear. Freephoneline and Fongo are both utter crap - always....and even if you're lucky enough to have a clear call right this minute, wait until tomorrow and they'll let you down. I don't understand why they can't have at least the quality of a simple WhatApp call.
Feb 8, 2008
345 posts
33 upvotes
Anyone else get the “no support for freephoneline” email today? I have no intention of switching to a monthly fee service and have never contacted their support for anything other than porting. For me this changes nothing but is this a precursor to a future shutdown?
Apr 22, 2015
263 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
septimus wrote: Anyone else get the “no support for freephoneline” email today? I have no intention of switching to a monthly fee service and have never contacted their support for anything other than porting. For me this changes nothing but is this a precursor to a future shutdown?
Got the email too. Hopefully that is no the case (eg. freephoneline being shutdown) as I have been a happy customer all these years.
Apr 22, 2015
263 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just checked their website and there does not seem to be an indication similar to what is stated in the email
Nov 27, 2004
461 posts
60 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
I got the same email but I have never contacted the company past the initial purchase - and that was 4-years ago. I think I can risk not having technical support.

It did make me think that the end may well be near and I will need to switch to voip.ms.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)