freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 10:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Ok i'm ready to start troubleshooting my freephonline obihai202 voip problems.
I had a rock solid perfect setup with teksavvy DSL 15/10 for many years.
A year ago i switched to Carrytel 75/10 cable with their CGN3 modem. Internet is fine but voip was intermittent. sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes i get dropped calls. or squacks and noise.
I've already put QOS on so i know it's not stictly a bandwidth problem.

What tools can i use to confirm problems? test latency/jitter or whatever else i should be watching?
Sep 26, 2016
7 posts
15 upvotes
It has been 2.5 years of FPL and obihai 200 with no problems. Now it's justa busy tone. Anyone knows why?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
I got "person not available" message and voice mail kicks in.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
paniray wrote: It has been 2.5 years of FPL and obihai 200 with no problems. Now it's justa busy tone. Anyone knows why?
"Degraded performance" according to status.fongo.com.
Sep 26, 2016
7 posts
15 upvotes
Balzard wrote: "Degraded performance" according to status.fongo.com.
Yes, but Degraded performance to a "no in or out calls" level !?!

EDIT: I did a restore of my settings and everything is OK. :)
Oct 2, 2017
43 posts
19 upvotes
If I use follow me call forwarding in FPL will the original caller's CID show or my FPL DID?
Jan 28, 2010
416 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
rfd108 wrote: If I use follow me call forwarding in FPL will the original caller's CID show or my FPL DID?
original caller's CID
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
4042 posts
1202 upvotes
Kingston
Is there a guide for setting up this service with a Obi200? I have the unlock code and all the info needed, but I have no idea where I need to go within the web access of the Obi200 to set it all up.

Thanks

EDIT: I used this one and it seems to work? Any other recommendations? https://freephonelinesetup.blogspot.com ... i-obi.html
May 21, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
I am sorry for responding late but no where do i see on the website that mentions "Service Degraded", you happen to have a link on there website so that i can verify this?

Anyways for anyone else having phone (voip) problems and it's been years that it''s been working fine, i recommend you to unplug your router/modem for 30 seconds and that should fix it.
May 21, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
@AsianXL I personally recommend for you to purchase the OBI202. You will have 2 phone ports therefor you can have one for FREEPHONELINE (canadian phone number) + Google Voice (USA phone number) 2 phone jacks in the back of the box for 2 different numbers.
May 21, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
kcorscadden wrote: Is there a guide for setting up this service with a Obi200? I have the unlock code and all the info needed, but I have no idea where I need to go within the web access of the Obi200 to set it all up.

Thanks

EDIT: I used this one and it seems to work? Any other recommendations? https://freephonelinesetup.blogspot.com ... i-obi.html
Yes you can open up the pdf file in the first post here FREEPHONELINE guide here http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805
Jan 28, 2010
416 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
AsianXL wrote: I've been with FPL for 8 years with the Linksys PAP2T, so far so good. Wish the PAP2T can die sooner so I can upgrade to the OBi200. Face With Tears Of Joy
lol...i was in the same situation as you. i have been using FPL since 2010 and i was in the same situation 2-3 years back thinking to upgrade to OBI when PAP2T dies....but PAP2T is a tough guy, still going good. I decided to switch to OBI 2 years back and put the PAP2T as a backup if OBI dies (other way around lol)
Jan 28, 2010
416 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
nightwalker wrote: What advantage does the OBI have over PAP2 though?

As long as you can use your phone, what's the point of changing VOIP devices?
Speaking for myself, I was using a third party sever (simonics) to connect GV with PAP2T. since they shut that service down, i got OBI to get the GV out of the box.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2840 upvotes
Ottawa
kcorscadden wrote: Is there a guide for setting up this service with a Obi200? I have the unlock code and all the info needed, but I have no idea where I need to go within the web access of the Obi200 to set it all up.

Thanks

@Webslinger has excellent voip/obi related posts, for some reasons he requested to close his account you can find his posts here

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/search. ... 8&sr=posts

He shows how to configure it (eg. How to pick the right server, access voice mail using *98 and a lot of other stuff)

Edit: had FPL for few years now and (as someone here said) my only regret is not signing up to it earlier. The hardest part was convincing my mom she won't notice any difference, I should've jumped in without telling her as the only thing she noticed was the added call display and the Canada wide calls
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
anyone knows where to subscribe to the cheapest 911 trunk?

i wouldn't want FPL for 911. Does unlimited fnogo at 4$/month gives free 911?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
L4cky wrote: anyone knows where to subscribe to the cheapest 911 trunk?

i wouldn't want FPL for 911. Does unlimited fnogo at 4$/month gives free 911?
voip providers typically dont offer this to the same extent as land or cell phone providers.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: @Webslinger has excellent voip/obi related posts, for some reasons he requested to close his account you can find his posts here

search.php?author_id=1148&sr=posts

He shows how to configure it (eg. How to pick the right server, access voice mail using *98 and a lot of other stuff)

Edit: had FPL for few years now and (as someone here said) my only regret is not signing up to it earlier. The hardest part was convincing my mom she won't notice any difference, I should've jumped in without telling her as the only thing she noticed was the added call display and the Canada wide calls
Anyone know why webslinger left?
He was a great contributor the community.