Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18709 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
My Obi100 that I've been using with FPL for years now seems to have died. I noticed there are no green connection lights and upon unplugging it and plugging it back in, it goes red for a second and then no lights again. Also no connection to the device config page.

Anyone know if this means it's truly dead or if there's a way to fix it?

If it's truly dead, I'll need to buy another alternative.
What are people using these days for an ATA device? I am sure most are still using Obi branded devices, but a quick look online shows they seem crazy expensive now for some reason. Obi202 @ $140? Yeah right. I am not spending that much for a simple ATA device. Can anyone recommend me something solid?
I see the grandstream ones cheaper at around $50. Are they any good?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4383 posts
1285 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: My Obi100 that I've been using with FPL for years now seems to have died. I noticed there are no green connection lights and upon unplugging it and plugging it back in, it goes red for a second and then no lights again. Also no connection to the device config page.

Anyone know if this means it's truly dead or if there's a way to fix it?
Have you tried a factory reset?
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18709 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
recordman wrote: Have you tried a factory reset?
Yes, I've tried utilizing the factory reset button under the device. Doesn't do anything. I tried a different power cord in case that was the issue, but still no go. It lights up red for a second or two when I plug in a power cord, but then all lights go off and remain off.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4383 posts
1285 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Yes, I've tried utilizing the factory reset button under the device. Doesn't do anything. I tried a different power cord in case that was the issue, but still no go. It lights up red for a second or two when I plug in a power cord, but then all lights go off and remain off.
Most likely dead. I had the same thing happening to my Linksys VOIP.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18709 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
recordman wrote: Most likely dead. I had the same thing happening to my Linksys VOIP.
Yeah I figured as much. I would buy another Obihai device immediately, but damn their pricing is ridiculous. Trying to see if there's another cheaper ATA I could go with.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4383 posts
1285 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Yeah I figured as much. I would buy another Obihai device immediately, but damn their pricing is ridiculous. Trying to see if there's another cheaper ATA I could go with.
Check CL/Kijiji/BST. You might get lucky. Make sure FPL supports that device.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
When my Linksys SPA2102 died last summer. I got a Linksys SPA112 for $25 from Kijiji
Make sure that it is unlocked permanently. Do a power up with Internet connected as the locked ATA will call home to update its configuration.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1084 posts
500 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Yeah I figured as much. I would buy another Obihai device immediately, but damn their pricing is ridiculous. Trying to see if there's another cheaper ATA I could go with.
I've picked up a couple of 110's from eBay US site. There's plenty of 100's. Under $20. You may be able to bid less. Got one for $10 that way.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18709 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
recordman wrote: Have you tried a factory reset?
I got it working again. I don't know why it didn't work originally when I tried this. Maybe I just didn't hold it down long enough?

However I decided to give it one more shot. I unplugged the device, pressed the reset button, plugged the power back in and kept the reset button pressed down for at least 30+ seconds this time. Suddenly I got a green light again and I can now access the web interface again.

Don't know what happened to screw it up, but looks like I won't have to spend money on a replacement after all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9152 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone want to sell a VOIP unlock key? Looking for a cheaper one for my friend. Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Jul 28, 2014
234 posts
167 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
can2000 wrote: Anyone want to sell a VOIP unlock key? Looking for a cheaper one for my friend. Thanks
Are you looking to buy someone's account? You will then need to pay to have the number changed anyway.
The unlock key is not an actual key. You pay on the account then it shows the SIP setting on the account you can use to setup a device with.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
9152 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
metalexa wrote: Are you looking to buy someone's account? You will then need to pay to have the number changed anyway.
The unlock key is not an actual key. You pay on the account then it shows the SIP setting on the account you can use to setup a device with.
Thanks!
They don't have home phone number anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Jul 28, 2014
234 posts
167 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
can2000 wrote: Thanks!
They don't have home phone number anyway.
Ok but for example I have a account but my number is from a area code in central Canada. If they would not mind having any number in Canada then I guess an account could be purchased. They may run into issues with friends and family trying to call them being charged long distance if they do not have a Canada wide long distance plan.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
Correct me if I am wrong. There is no charge to change number to account for people moving.
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... are-moving
Phone number changes are only available for users who have purchased a VoIP Unlock Key.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Nov 23, 2012
193 posts
110 upvotes
Ontario
metalexa wrote: Are you looking to buy someone's account? You will then need to pay to have the number changed anyway.
The existing number on the account will still work.

Reselling accounts breaks ToS.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/terms
5i. Acceptable Use Policy
The Customer may not resell or transfer the Service to any other person for any purpose, or charge any other person for the use of the Service.

I don't know what happens if someone is caught.
Jul 28, 2014
234 posts
167 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Dahlya wrote: The existing number on the account will still work.

Reselling accounts breaks ToS.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/terms
5i. Acceptable Use Policy
The Customer may not resell or transfer the Service to any other person for any purpose, or charge any other person for the use of the Service.

I don't know what happens if someone is caught.
I did not mention if it breaks the TOS but it would. Just saying if the account was purchased it would not have the area code in which the buyer is from.
Dec 6, 2011
432 posts
299 upvotes
Area 51
Is it possible to use two connection simultaneously?
I want to use on my Obihai202 with an ios voip app.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1084 posts
500 upvotes
shan52 wrote: Is it possible to use two connection simultaneously?
I want to use on my Obihai202 with an ios voip app.
Not simultaneously. And it will remain registered to the device/app last used.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1084 posts
500 upvotes
shan52 wrote: Anyone can recommend a voip ios app?
Groundwire. Just buy it and don't look back. Works flawlessly.

Or try all the freebies like I (and many of us here) did and then cough up the $