Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18709 posts
26940 upvotes
ONTARIO
Can also verify there's an issue with voip.freephoneline.ca

Wouldn't have realized if I hadn't seen this thread. Phoned my home phone from cell and while it rings on the cell phone's end, there's no ringing on my home phone.
Checked my obi config and have it set to use voip.freephoneline.ca by default and fallback to voip2 if the first is down.

Swapped the config to use voip2 by default now and voip as the fallback. Using voip2 there are no issues on incoming calls.
Member
Nov 22, 2010
252 posts
75 upvotes
Change SIP setting - voip.freephoneline.ca does not work for incoming calls at the moment. Incoming calls will go straight to voicemail.

voip2.freephoneline.ca and voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 work perfectly fine for both incoming and outgoing calls.
barginfreak wrote: Not really. For me, it doesn’t work.. then I take it out of the plug for 1min, plug it in.. then it works . And then after some time... it turn back to not accepting incoming calls. Need assistance...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16971 posts
3183 upvotes
Toronto
new936 wrote: Change SIP setting - voip.freephoneline.ca does not work for incoming calls at the moment. Incoming calls will go straight to voicemail.

voip2.freephoneline.ca and voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 work perfectly fine for both incoming and outgoing calls.
Mine was working when I checked around 10:30 am. Checked just now and doesn't work. Switched to voip2 and it works. Thank you!
Last edited by audit13 on Apr 7th, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
new936 wrote: Change SIP setting - voip.freephoneline.ca does not work for incoming calls at the moment. Incoming calls will go straight to voicemail.

voip2.freephoneline.ca and voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 work perfectly fine for both incoming and outgoing calls.
Thanks!

Just noticed incoming no longer working after seeing a bunch of emails with voicemail. Checked myself and went straight to voicemail
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2007
716 posts
146 upvotes
incomings are not coming in..... tried voip2.freephone.ca worked. Thanks
Living in this big world, I have a little dream.
Sr. Member
Apr 2, 2009
895 posts
183 upvotes
Markham
Repooc wrote: Damnit... so there IS an issue with this then?!?! SO, glad I came on to RFD to verify and to see others have been experiencing the same issue.

I also have an ObiHai 200, and can only dial out.... when ever I try to dial in, it goes straight to voicemail.

I'll try those 2 suggested servers tonight when I get home from work and report back. Thanks @new936 for posting that info here!!

Cheers!
Me too!
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6943 posts
5051 upvotes
Kitchener
THANKS GUYS..........I was having issues! VOIP2 works :)

Had to fix 3 accounts today (old people - friends of family).
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 7th, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12091 posts
10999 upvotes
Fongo app on cellphone can receive text message.
Can we send/receive text message on FPL?
If yes, how?
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2005
3150 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
Yes some crazy stuff going on call ends after 15 mins, voicemail indicator stayed on for days. Maybe Fongo working on reduced staffing model impacting service.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3855 posts
1258 upvotes
Toronto
Well, I was too lazy to change my settings last night after work as planned yesterday.

But I did call into my FPL number and it rang this morning (rather than going straight to voicemail)... assuming that they fixed the issue now?

Or can I expect the call to drop after 15 minutes as others are reporting above?
Member
Nov 18, 2006
379 posts
25 upvotes
Guest1284983 wrote: C. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need
need to use Obitalk.com).

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.
Thank you. I had a 'VOICEMAIL WAITING' message for days on my obihai. I contacted Fongo/FPL and put in a ticket to clear it (I had no email indicating I had a voicemail). When they reset whatever they did on their end a couple of days later I was no longer able to dial out or receive calls on my end and was getting
Image

and

For days now FPL folks have been saying they were having issues on their end, but with no resolution. Ultimately I found your post.

When testing out fongo's status i got:
Image

Still, I tried changed my port and immediately got a connection again. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Here's a virtual beer for 'ya. <cheers>
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
627 posts
152 upvotes
Anyone having issues making outgoing calls today? I'm able to do so with my OBI 200 ATA and Google Voice line, but not with freephoneline. I did have the incoming call issue the other day and changed to the voip2 sever and was able to both make and receive calls. Today I can receive calls, but can't make an outgoing calls. I tried all 3 servers to no avail. I'm not sure what the issue is as I've had the same settings, other than the recent server change, for years with no issues.

EDIT: I can make outgoing calls, but it seems I now have to dial 1 before the number. If I dial just the 10 digit number then I get an Invalid number format (incomplete number) error, but if I add a 1 it goes through. This is strange because previously I just dialed the 10 digit number with no issues.

EDIT #2: I removed the local dialing option from the OBI dash board (416 - which is pointless since there are now so many GTA area codes) and now I can dial out again without pressing 1 first. I don't know if that was the solution or if it's just a coincidence, but everything is back to normal. Since no one else posted I'm guessing it was only my issue, but I'll leave this post up in case it helps someone else with a similar issue.
Newbie
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anybody having issues with accessing voicemail through dialing *98? When i dial it just gives me a long tone, and thats it.
Callers can still leave messages though.
Looking for a fix to this

Thanks
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
627 posts
152 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Anybody having issues with accessing voicemail through dialing *98? When i dial it just gives me a long tone, and thats it.
Callers can still leave messages though.
Looking for a fix to this

Thanks
I don't know what ATA you're using, but I was having a problem with accessing VM through *98 last week. I was getting a busy signal. This is how I fixed it:

Went into the Star Code profiles via the expert mode of ObiTalk and changed Code28, Blind Transfer, from *98 to *99.

I found out about this by reading a configuration guide in the Fongo community forums here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f= ... 76142e3f5d

I also updated my digitmap based on the PDF guide for the OBi200. Since I did both those things, I haven't had any issues with the service (it's been about 5 or 6 days now).

In the meantime, you can login to your freephoneline account via freephoneline.ca and change your Voice Mail to Email setting under "Voicemail Settings". If you choose "copy" you'll get the messages sent to your email and can also check them via the phone (when that's working). If you choose "forward" they'll only be sent to your email.
Newbie
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
althoma1 wrote: I don't know what ATA you're using, but I was having a problem with accessing VM through *98 last week. I was getting a busy signal. This is how I fixed it:

Went into the Star Code profiles via the expert mode of ObiTalk and changed Code28, Blind Transfer, from *98 to *99.

I found out about this by reading a configuration guide in the Fongo community forums here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f= ... 76142e3f5d

I also updated my digitmap based on the PDF guide for the OBi200. Since I did both those things, I haven't had any issues with the service (it's been about 5 or 6 days now).

In the meantime, you can login to your freephoneline account via freephoneline.ca and change your Voice Mail to Email setting under "Voicemail Settings". If you choose "copy" you'll get the messages sent to your email and can also check them via the phone (when that's working). If you choose "forward" they'll only be sent to your email.
Sorry. Using the OBI200
Not sure how changing the StarCode would fix the issue. Mind sharing the coding for the Digit Map i should try
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
627 posts
152 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Sorry. Using the OBI200
Not sure how changing the StarCode would fix the issue. Mind sharing the coding for the Digit Map i should try
The Digitmap I used is: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.

Full details of issues with the Obitalk setup and Freephoneline are detailed in the config guide (I believe written by the member formerly known as Webslinger). Here's all the pertinent info that I used below:


Potential Problems With Setting up Freephoneline Using Obitalk.com Configuration issues A. Pianoguy on the Redflagdeals forum notes that “the OBi's default keep-alive message is literally keep-alive which doesn't garner a response. If you have a newer firmware version on your OBi200 (not available on OBi1) you can try the following: Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked X_KeepAliveExpires: 20 X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify” At the time of this writing, if you’re using Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, X_KeepAliveExpires will be set to 15, and X_KeepAliveMsgType will not be set properly. So, if you’re going to use Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, change these settings to the above recommended values.
B. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP KeepAliveInterval: 20
C. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP X_UsePublicAddressInVia: enabled To help avoid one-way audio issues with Freephoneline, enable this setting. D. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP Uncheck the box under the Value column to disable X_Use302ToCallForward Freephoneline requires calls to be bridged if you want your ATA to forward calls. If X_Use302ToCallForward is enabled, calls that are forwarded by the ATA (as opposed to using Freephoneline’s Follow Me feature) will be dropped to voicemail E. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service X_UserAgentPort would be better as a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router.


F. Navigate to Service Providers–>ITSP Profile (FPL)–>General DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)
6
Here’s an alternative example: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-7]11|<811:8667970000>|*98|911) The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone number for your area and replace the phone number after the colon. Note that dialing 811 in this example reaches Telehealth Ontario. https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/ <1> means add or prepend 1 to the beginning of the phone number <:1> also means add 1 <1:> means remove 1 from the beginning (and replace it with what follows after the colon) [2-9] means match any single digit from 2 to 9 XX. means match any phone number you dial (also XX. is an indefinite variable, and without XX.S3, for example, your ATA will wait 10 seconds for you to finish entering in a phone number before dialing out). S3 reduces the wait (represents 3 seconds). 011XX. means any number starting with 011 (for international dialing), and again XX is an indefinite variable. Without the .S3, your ATA will wait 10 seconds. 011xxxxxxxxxxxx. is wrong if the international phone number is less than 11 digits.
Mipd is for IP dialing. [^*#]@@. is for SIP URI. Neither is needed with Freephoneline. They should be removed. [6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx. listed in another guide should never be used since it can't logically apply to anything. XX. is usually not needed (and actually, inadvisable, since it can apply to anything and, due to it being an indefinite variable, creates a 10 second timeout in the ATA while it waits for the user to finish entering a phone number). *98 is for voicemail, which works with Freephoneline, by default. For more information on Obihai Digitmaps, visit http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/a ... l-v1-1.pdf. G. Navigate to Codecs–>Codec Profile (A or whatever the VoIP service you're using is assigned to . . . you can determine this under Voice services-->SP[freephoneline] Service-->X_CodecProfile)
i. Uncheck the default boxes for Enable (Fax Event) and T38ECM
ii. Check or enable the boxes under the Value column for Enable (Fax Event) and TC8ECM.
T.38 Fax protocol works with an OBi200 or OBi202 and Freephoneline.
H. Star Code Profiles (A & B) Code28: *99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn) Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.
Newbie
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
althoma1 wrote: The Digitmap I used is: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.

Full details of issues with the Obitalk setup and Freephoneline are detailed in the config guide (I believe written by the member formerly known as Webslinger). Here's all the pertinent info that I used below:


Potential Problems With Setting up Freephoneline Using Obitalk.com Configuration issues A. Pianoguy on the Redflagdeals forum notes that “the OBi's default keep-alive message is literally keep-alive which doesn't garner a response. If you have a newer firmware version on your OBi200 (not available on OBi1) you can try the following: Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked X_KeepAliveExpires: 20 X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify” At the time of this writing, if you’re using Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, X_KeepAliveExpires will be set to 15, and X_KeepAliveMsgType will not be set properly. So, if you’re going to use Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, change these settings to the above recommended values.
B. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP KeepAliveInterval: 20
C. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP X_UsePublicAddressInVia: enabled To help avoid one-way audio issues with Freephoneline, enable this setting. D. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP Uncheck the box under the Value column to disable X_Use302ToCallForward Freephoneline requires calls to be bridged if you want your ATA to forward calls. If X_Use302ToCallForward is enabled, calls that are forwarded by the ATA (as opposed to using Freephoneline’s Follow Me feature) will be dropped to voicemail E. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service X_UserAgentPort would be better as a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router.


F. Navigate to Service Providers–>ITSP Profile (FPL)–>General DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)
6
Here’s an alternative example: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-7]11|<811:8667970000>|*98|911) The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone number for your area and replace the phone number after the colon. Note that dialing 811 in this example reaches Telehealth Ontario. https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/ <1> means add or prepend 1 to the beginning of the phone number <:1> also means add 1 <1:> means remove 1 from the beginning (and replace it with what follows after the colon) [2-9] means match any single digit from 2 to 9 XX. means match any phone number you dial (also XX. is an indefinite variable, and without XX.S3, for example, your ATA will wait 10 seconds for you to finish entering in a phone number before dialing out). S3 reduces the wait (represents 3 seconds). 011XX. means any number starting with 011 (for international dialing), and again XX is an indefinite variable. Without the .S3, your ATA will wait 10 seconds. 011xxxxxxxxxxxx. is wrong if the international phone number is less than 11 digits.
Mipd is for IP dialing. [^*#]@@. is for SIP URI. Neither is needed with Freephoneline. They should be removed. [6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx. listed in another guide should never be used since it can't logically apply to anything. XX. is usually not needed (and actually, inadvisable, since it can apply to anything and, due to it being an indefinite variable, creates a 10 second timeout in the ATA while it waits for the user to finish entering a phone number). *98 is for voicemail, which works with Freephoneline, by default. For more information on Obihai Digitmaps, visit http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/a ... l-v1-1.pdf. G. Navigate to Codecs–>Codec Profile (A or whatever the VoIP service you're using is assigned to . . . you can determine this under Voice services-->SP[freephoneline] Service-->X_CodecProfile)
i. Uncheck the default boxes for Enable (Fax Event) and T38ECM
ii. Check or enable the boxes under the Value column for Enable (Fax Event) and TC8ECM.
T.38 Fax protocol works with an OBi200 or OBi202 and Freephoneline.
H. Star Code Profiles (A & B) Code28: *99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn) Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.
Just tried changing the Starcode and Digitmap and all works now! Thanks so much
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
627 posts
152 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Just tried changing the Starcode and Digitmap and all works now! Thanks so much
No problem. I am glad it worked.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

JayJJJ