freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 10:30 am

No sale on the 202?
The sale is inevitable. Newegg.ca always runs sales, periodically (I would say at least once per quarter). Rarely, however, do the 200 and 202 go on sale simultaneously. But eventually the 202 will go on sale (in the past it's sometimes gone on sale a few days after the sale on the 200 ends).
Based on your previous post, the features on the 202 won't help me much. I don't need the router, don't see how I would use the second phone port and the last one was the OBiPlus (not available anyways).
Then get the 200. I like having the second port for faxing. But if you don't need the second port, don't waste money.

Btw, the OBi100 is discontinued: http://blog.obihai.com/feeds/posts/default
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 16th, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3468 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 10:37 am
The sale is inevitable. Newegg.ca always runs sales, periodically (I would say at least once per quarter). Rarely, however, do the 200 and 202 go on sale simultaneously. But eventually the 202 will go on sale (in the past it's sometimes gone on sale a few days after the sale on the 200 ends).

Then get the 200. I like having the second port for faxing. But if you don't need the second port, don't waste money.

Btw, the OBi100, afaik, has been discontinued. I can't find a source anywhere.
Awesome. Thanks again. Will get the 200. I never fax :)

May need help setting up as I have only worked with the SPS3102 for the last 8 years.

Another question - I also use sipsorcery.com. I used it for Google Voice, but it seems like this device natively supports it, so I won't need sipsorcery?

I am also considering cancelling voip.ms - I only used it for calling out overseas. But with whatsapp, skype, etc, we hardly ever use it.

In essence then, I would be left with FPL and GV only then.
Dec 7, 2010
28 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

We have a TP-Link modem/router that generally servers our network requirements, including FPL. However, I'd like to plan for a more secure, VoIP friendly router down the road on which I can load third party firmware. In the Fongo forums, I see a lot of votes for Tomato. Can anyone recommend a router that plays well with Tomato and runs FPL well?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1269 posts
102 upvotes
Thanks.. now i can think to change..
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 6:59 pm
I can't speak for others, but I don't like non-BYOD services. I don't like being forced to buy inferior ATAs I don't want (and, at the time of this post, the best ATAs for home use are Obihai OBi200 or OBi202 ATAs), especially those that are locked.
I like using multiple services all on one line. Also, for me, iTalkBB would be more expensive. But I'm not calling China constantly either.

A few years ago, my brother's gf's iTalkBB was down way more than FPL ever was.

I've answered this question so many times . . .
And I've been with FPL for over 6 years.

I've heard scary stuff about Nettalk possibly going bankrupt and people potentially losing their phone numbers until Primus, which appears to be getting taken over, in part, by Birch, obtained Nettalk customers' phone numbers again. What happens if Freephoneline or Fongo goes bankrupt? Will I lose my phone number?

Fibernetics, which owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo, is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada, and FPL/Fongo generates revenue from incoming phone calls or termination fees to its network in addition to the fees paid by its customers. The more phone calls made to their network, the more money they make. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.

Fibernetics also operates/owns Nucleus Information Service, Worldline.ca, 1011295.com, 295.ca, Vonix, NEWT, etc.

In the event that Freephoneline were, for some unlikely reason, to suddenly shut down, you would still be able to port out before then:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16964
"This isn't something you have to worry about. Hypothetically speaking though, if something were to happen, arrangements would be made for users to be able port their numbers out, or stay with whichever company were to take over operations of FPL [or Fongo]. The bottom line is, you would not simply lose your number."--Fongo_Jeff

Nettalk's situation can't happen with FPL or Fongo. Fongo is owned by Fibernetics, which is a CLEC. Fibernetics has FPL's DIDs/phone numbers. If FPL doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers. If Fibernetics doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers/DIDs until another company takes over. And FPL's customers will be able to port out before then or choose to stay with the company that takes over. Moreover, FPL, Fongo, and Fibernetics are registered with CCTS: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers. If there's an issue, you can file a complaint with CCTS, and CCTS will act as an intermediary to help negotiate a resolution for you.

Nettalk is not a CLEC. Nettalk was using Irisitel for its phone numbers/DIDs. Neither are registered with CCTS at the time of this post.

Fibernetics was founded in 1997.

No one has a crystal ball. But I'd say Fibernetic's chances are better than Nettalk's.

What happens if Ooma goes under?

Well, unless you can figure out how to unlock the device, you're going to be stuck with a brick.
I have called CCTS. They said if Ooma decides not to comply or negotiate with their requests, there's not much they (CCTS) can do.
At the time of this post, Ooma is not registered with CCTS.
what-happens-your-tel-if-ooma-goes-unde ... st24906141

How can I tell which carrier or CLEC has my phone number?"

Enter your phone number here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 10:46 am
May need help setting up as I have only worked with the SPS3102 for the last 8 years.
I may be unavailable since I'm dealing with medical issues. However, I've posted plenty of guides.
Another question - I also use sipsorcery.com. I used it for Google Voice, but it seems like this device natively supports it, so I won't need sipsorcery?

Unless you're using sipsorcery to somehow do Caller ID Name lookups for Google Voice, no, you don't need sipsorcery.
I am also considering cancelling voip.ms - I only used it for calling out overseas.
If you're only using it for outbound calls, then you're not being charged monthly fees.
If I need it, I have access to it.
I'm not cancelling mine: newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400985
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
mh83 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 10:48 am
Hi all,

We have a TP-Link modem/router that generally servers our network requirements, including FPL. However, I'd like to plan for a more secure, VoIP friendly router down the road on which I can load third party firmware. In the Fongo forums, I see a lot of votes for Tomato. Can anyone recommend a router that plays well with Tomato and runs FPL well?
This is a question for Pianoguy.

This link might give you some ideas: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

Personally, I'd avoid the Netgear R7000. And I use Asus routers (but not Tomato).
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3468 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 11:18 am
I may be unavailable since I'm dealing with medical issues. However, I've posted plenty of guides.

Unless you're using sipsorcery to somehow do Caller ID Name lookups for Google Voice, no, you don't need sipsorcery.

If you're only using it for outbound calls, then you're not being charged monthly fees.
If I need it, I have access to it.
I'm not cancelling mine: newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400985
Thanks!

What is the preferred method for changes? IP to the Obi or Obitalk.com?

Hope your medical issues get resolved and you feel better.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 11:29 am
Thanks!

What is the preferred method for changes? IP to the Obi or Obitalk.com?
Obitalk.com is required, using post OAuth 2.0 firmware (which your Obihai ATA will come pre-installed with), to provision Google Voice.

I would configure SP1 with FPL. SP2 would be GV. And if you have no phone numbers with VoIP.ms, then set that up as a Voice Gateway:
newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400985

After everything is setup, I would stop using Obitalk.com: newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/#post26400981

Hope your medical issues get resolved and you feel better.
Thank you
Dec 6, 2011
357 posts
143 upvotes
Montreal
I keep receiving calls from 100. How do I block this number.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
softech wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 8:04 pm
Is there an Android app for FPL?
No. You can use FPL with any decent smartphone SIP app (Groundwire, for example), but keep in mind that you can only register one FPL account on any device at any given time.

Fongo Mobile smartphone app would be similar to FPL in terms of its free calling area.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
A lot of Obi200/202 related guides can be found here: newegg-obi200-49-99-fs-2012905/2/

I recommend you read through that thread.

shan52 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 9:47 pm
I keep receiving calls from 100. How do I block this number.
That's not a phone call.

Having problems with SIP Scanners? Is your phone ringing constantly with caller ids that appear as 1001, 999, etc. Bots/crackers/scammers are looking (scanning ports) for ways to break into your services and devices.

1. Are you port forwarding from the router to the ATA or using DMZ? Let's not do that unless you have no other choice. Disable any port forwarding in the router to the ATA, especially UDP port 5060. If you find disabling port forwarding creates 1-way audio issues (or other weird problems), try disabling SIP ALG in your router.

2. If you used the OBitalk web portal to configure your ATA, you need to continue using www.obitalk.com for now. Enter the expert menu (advanced configuration; it's an "E" icon). Otherwise, dial ***1, and enter the IP you're told into your web browser.

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

3. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(service you're using) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Change this to something between 30000 and 60000

(In the Obitalk.com Portal, uncheck both device default and obitalk settings boxes to enter in your own settings).

(Submit/save and reboot ATA)

For OBi100 and OBi110

4. Create a white list of authorized IP addresses of the SIP servers you're using (and want to connect with your OBi ATA):
Service Providers>ITSP Profile (service you're using) >SIP>X_AccessList (enter valid SIP server IP addresses).

voip.freephoneline.ca is 208.65.240.44, for example.
toronto.voip.ms is 184.75.215.106.

Separate SIP server IP addresses that you use with this ITSP Service profile with commas in X_AccessList. Basically, you need to know what the IP addresses are of the SIP servers you're using for this particular VoIP service (and not for every single VoIP provider you use in general) on this particular ITSP Profile.

(submit/save and reboot ATA)

5. Stick/Add {>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph} in your inbound call route. Voice Services-->SP(service you're using)-->X_InboundCallRoute
Use Oleg's method: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5467.0 (step 4 from that link)

If you don't know what yourauthusername is, navigate to Voice Services-->SP(service you're using) -->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName

Here's an example of what an X_InboundCallRoute might look like with that part added:

{(MTelemarketers):},{>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph}

The first section can be whatever you currently have in X_InboundCallRoute. The bolded part is what you need to add.

For OBi200 and OBi202 steps 4 and 5 are a lot simpler:

4. Enable X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly to accept inbound SIP requests only if they came from the same IP address of the current Registered proxy (found under Voice Services > SP(service you're using) Service-->SP Service)
If you're using Callcentric (ITSP service provider) with a secondary registration, don't do step 4 with an OBi200/202.

5. Remember: if you used the OBitalk web portal to configure your ATA, you need to continue using www.obitalk.com for now. Enable X_EnforceRequestUserID to accept SIP invite requests only if the request userid matches AuthUserName or X_ContactUserID (found under Voice Services > SP(service you're using) Service-->SIP Credentials)

The combination of steps 4 and 5 will stop sip scanner calls completely. But nothing beats a good firewall.
Dec 6, 2011
357 posts
143 upvotes
Montreal
If I get calls from the Id caller 100, do I need to change my password of my account FL?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
shan52 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 10:07 pm
If I get calls from the Id caller 100
Those aren't phone calls. Those are SIP scanners.

do I need to change my password of my account FL?
No. You need to follow the 5 steps I posted, in particular steps 3 through 5.