Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Nov 23, 2012
297 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario
AsianXL wrote: Is there a "call filtering" option available with Freephoneline where callers need to press a number in order for calls to go through?
No, Freephoneline does not offer that feature. Obihai ATA and Obihai IP Phone users can make use of Nomorobo, which is described in this guide. Many spam calls come from spoofed numbers though, so Nomorobo's usefulness is debatable.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2671 posts
1533 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Dahlya wrote: No, Freephoneline does not offer that feature. Obihai ATA and Obihai IP Phone users can make use of Nomorobo, which is described in this guide. Many spam calls come from spoofed numbers though, so Nomorobo's usefulness is debatable.
I am assuming that Nomorobo is a database of known spam numbers which IMO is useless for most spammy robocalls as like you mentioned they spoof numbers constantly, so there's no way to block them out unless it requires a manual intervention which is the feature I mentioned before.

The call screening feature I mentioned is a feature where it requires the caller to press a number in order for the call to go through which eliminates 99% of robocalls.

I know this feature exist for traditional phone lines like Telus/Rogers/Shaw, but I have yet to come across it for VOIP.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1086 posts
502 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: I have the Linksys PAP2T adapter with Freephoneline.
Is there a "call filtering" option available with Freephoneline where callers need to press a number in order for calls to go through?
I'm getting so many spam calls every day.
I'm not familiar with the PAP2T but with Obi I think you can use the Auto-Attendant feature to do that task.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2671 posts
1533 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gameon12 wrote: I'm not familiar with the PAP2T but with Obi I think you can use the Auto-Attendant feature to do that task.
I just looked into the auto attendant feature. It seems like a pain to set up for my purpose.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Nov 23, 2012
297 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario
AsianXL wrote: I just looked into the auto attendant feature. It seems like a pain to set up for my purpose.
The discussion is located here.
You'd send all incoming calls to the Auto Attendant, and then the caller would have to press 1 to ring your phone.
Or you could create a whitelist and have those calls routed directly to your phone port to make your phone ring. All other calls could be routed
to the Auto Attendant.

The problem is if people in your household want to use the Auto Attendant normally and become confused by voice prompts that are intended for spammers.
Nov 21, 2007
597 posts
75 upvotes
Apologies if it was mentioned and discussed, but can someone please fill me on the March 10 message on the obihai portal? What are the consequences?

TIA
Oct 13, 2012
100 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
I just want to add my experience in case anyone might be in the same situation. I have an alarm system with Monitoring Center and I was not sure if it will still work after switching to freephoneline. The monitoring center said that "it will not work" with freephoneline, but I went ahead anyway and I can confirm that The Monitoring Center alarm system works just fine.
The steps I followed:
- purchased a Linksys PAP2T device from eBay
- created freephoneline account and switched the phone # from Rogers.
- Rogers called, confirmed that I want to terminate the contract and asked me to return their equipment to one of their centers;
- I purchased the unlock key
- I followed the instructions from this document

The alarm system I am using is a DSC installed by ADT many years ago. I guess the model is PC1555.
Aug 7, 2010
285 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
^ good on you for trying it out for yourself, most folks wouldn't have taken the leap
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1754 posts
795 upvotes
catalinb wrote:
- Rogers called, confirmed that I want to terminate the contract and asked me to return their equipment to one of their centers;
I guess that's one of the good things about the proposed Shaw/Rogers merger is you can return your equipment back to their centres. Shaw permanently ceased this option last year and have no plans to reinstate it.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2083 posts
462 upvotes
I've had a few people tell me over the past 4 weeks that when they call my FPL #, it says something like "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time..." It seems random as only a couple people have told me that. Others have had no issues calling me. I did try calling my FPL and did get the message saying something like "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time..." Anyone know why this is occurring ?
Jan 17, 2017
144 posts
72 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote: I've had a few people tell me over the past 4 weeks that when they call my FPL #, it says something like "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time..." It seems random as only a couple people have told me that. Others have had no issues calling me. I did try calling my FPL and did get the message saying something like "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time..." Anyone know why this is occurring ?
Yes my account was doing that today. Reasons was I had just switched over to a new ported in number, and my device at home was NOT connected to the server. Thus the system had no device to contact. aka not accepting calls.
Once I updated the obi202 with the updated phone #, it all worked..well almost, see next post.
Jan 17, 2017
144 posts
72 upvotes
Got my number ported in and working now with obi202, call out/in all works. Only problem is voicemail just says:
"answer off, no messages will be recorded"
Any idea how to fix this?
Jan 17, 2017
144 posts
72 upvotes
Y.M.C.M.B wrote: ^ that message almost sounds like its from your phones voicemail system(panasonic, vtech etc)
not FPL side voicemail system

can you provide more information on when this occurs?

there is also some voicemail settings here (https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings)
lol. Problem is as you said. My wife had turned off the 'answering machine' part of her phone when we went to the old provider. It has hitting that machine(built into phone). I just turned it back on, since she liked the flashing indicator and message count part. Now it's working. Sorry for the confusion.
Dec 25, 2003
506 posts
485 upvotes
Saskatoon
I get maybe 1 spam call in a year on voip.ms or my mobile # from fido. I am in Sask. Is the spam calling issue a FONGO targeted thing as if they sold your infos?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1607 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have alot of spam from Fongo, my rogers cell has alot more
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2083 posts
462 upvotes
My FPL has been down for about an hour now. Not sure what's going on. Rebooted phone ata. Still no luck.