Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
For anyone using Obihai ATAs, the guides and Obitalk.com do not configure the Obihai ATAs to conform to the recommended guidelines provided by FPL:
http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... redentials

1. Unless I'm not seeing something, the configuration .pdf guides miss
RegisterRetryInterval needing to be 120

That's found under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

2. Under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service
X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked
X_KeepAliveExpires: 20 (Obitalk.com uses 15, at the time of this writing, which differs from what FPL recommends)
X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify

If notify, is not as a X_KeepAliveMsgType available for you, try what Pianoguy wrote here:
Pianoguy wrote:X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked
X_KeepAliveExpires: 20
X_KeepAliveMsgType: custom
X_CustomKeepAliveMsg: mtd=NOTIFY
For OBi20x, with firmware 3.1.0 (Build: 5285), "X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify" is selectable: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5285.fw

3. The default digitmaps are a mess.
Service Providers–>ITSP Profile FPL–>General
I want to help explain a few things first.

<1> means add or prepend 1 to the beginning of the phone number
<:1> also means add 1
<1:> means remove 1 from the beginning (and replace with what follows after the colon)
[2-9] means match any single digit from 2 to 9
XX. means match any phone number you dial (also XX. is an indefinite variable, and without XX.S3, for example, your ATA will wait 10 seconds for you to finish entering in a phone number before dialing out. S3 reduces the wait (represents 3 seconds)
011XX. means any number starting with 011 (for international dialing), and again XX is an indefinite variable. Without the .S3, your ATA will wait 10 seconds

Mipd is for IP dialing
[^*#]@@. is for sip uri
Neither is needed with Freephoneline. I would remove them.

XX. is usually not needed (and actually, inadvisable).

So, this is what I would suggest using:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|911)

But that digitmap won’t work with 211, 311, 511, 611, etc.

Here’s an alternative example:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<211:4163974636>|<311:4163922489>|<511:4162354686>|<611:4164772010>|<811:8667970000>|*98|911)

The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 211, 311, 511, 611, 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone numbers for your area and replace the phone number after the colon.

4. If FPL is your primary service, then
Under Voice Services-->SP(FPL), the following should be enabled (and they're not in the .pdf guide for some unknown reason) if you want voicemail to work:

MWIEnable
MWIEnable2 (OBi202)
X_VMWIEnable
X_VMWIEnable2 (OBi202)
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 30th, 2016 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Dec 11, 2014
37 posts
3 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Webslinger wrote:
Sep 26th, 2016 12:28 pm
I've never encountered this
Do you ever use FreePhoneLine PC app at all? On a host PC with a VPN or Virtual Machine package installed? If you do, I described a typical scenario (HOST Dropdown Box popup) you can easily check yourself. Its also described in FPL and VMWare Workstation thread, with unrelated tweak of blocked audio, probably due to wrong port settings. Its also mentioned in several other threads on that forum, of course never answered by qualified folks.

Since you're well-versed in VoIP issues, would you be able to check it out, if user selected Host IP choice is than written by FPL to some Settings file that is overwritten or replaced by default file later? If that's the case, it might be possible to change that file permissions to Read only to prevent overrides and thus block the popup showing up at each FPL start. Another option might be to channel FPL calls via a local proxy app? Asking FPL staff to fix the app by adding option to remember users choice is not a feasible option, they seems to abandon development and support years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
mayacara wrote:
Sep 26th, 2016 1:55 pm

Do you ever use FreePhoneLine PC app at all?
Well, I've uninstalled it. It's incredibly limited (and I dislike it a lot).

I use my FPL accounts on Obihai ATAs or SIP apps like Groundwire.
they seems to abandon development and support years ago.
Yes. That app is basically dead with respect to development.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 27th, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
mayacara wrote:
Sep 26th, 2016 1:55 pm

Since you're well-versed in VoIP issues, would you be able to check it out, if user selected Host IP choice is than written by FPL to some Settings file that is overwritten or replaced by default file later?
FWIW, I installed the app again and took a look. I see the .ini files, but there's no option to set network card in them. The popup asks between LAN IP and the TAP network adapter IP. So, unless you can figure out how to edit the encrypted .jar/Java files, I suspect you're out of luck. Sorry. I don't have a solution for you.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15809 posts
21235 upvotes
ONTARIO
Anyone know if the Obi devices have any way to try a different server if one server is not responding after so many failed attempts? If so which settings am I looking under? I am using an Obi100.

I just noticed my phone was not working today. No idea how long today it's been down. This hasn't happened in quite a while.
I checked the Obi configuration page and it looks like it keeps failing to register on the server.

I went into my SIP settings and looked at which server I was using. I saw I was using voip2.freephoneline.ca, so I just changed it to voip.freephoneline.ca to see if that one was affected as well. Rebooted the device and back in business. Connected immediately. It's only voip2 that seems to be having an issue.

That's what got me thinking. It would be nice if after X many failed retry attempts to your main server, the device automatically tries your backup. In this case if it fails connecting to voip2, it would try voip.freephoneline.ca instead (and vice versa).

Does this already exist somewhere in the settings? It would be very handy. I have no clue how long my phone wasn't working today. In this case, If a setting like this exists, the downtime would have been minimal.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15809 posts
21235 upvotes
ONTARIO
So instead of triple posting, I deleted my other post since I figured it out (with some help of Google).

In case anyone else wants to add proxy server redundancy for when a server might go down, this is how I have mine set up now.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SIP
Change ProxyServer to FPL
Scroll down and enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy
Hit Submit at the bottom of the page to save changes

System Management -> Network Settings
Scroll down to Local DNS Records and enable the first box (uncheck default).
Paste in: FPL={voip.freephoneline.ca,0},{voip2.freephoneline.ca,1}
Click Submit at bottom and then click Reboot.

Now what should happen is it will attempt to connect to voip.freephoneline.ca first. The 0 next to it means it's first priority. If that fails to connect, it will attempt to use voip2.freephoneline.ca

I set mine up to use voip2 as the first priority just to see if it would fallback to voip since voip2 is currently down, and it did. So it must be working properly as I had hoped.
I know there are apparently voip3 and voip4 servers but I don't think we're allowed to use those, right? If that's not true, then you can easily add them to the priority list. Just make them priority 2 and 3.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 12:45 pm
So instead of triple posting, I deleted my other post since I figured it out (with some help of Google).
I've posted instructions all over the place on RFD, including in this thread:

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24051749
newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-79-99-1-50-ehf ... #p26724391
newegg-obihai-obi200-voip-phone-adapter ... #p25544261
etc.

Following these instructions will work for FPL, but you can do something similar for other providers that offer multiple SIP servers. For VoIP.ms, this will work for outgoing calls only (not incoming).

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

For OBi200/202

1. Navigate to Router Configuration-->WAN Settings-->Local DNS Records

For OBi100/110

1. Navigate to System Management --> Network Settings-->Local DNS Records

(instructions follow for all models)

2. Pick an unused/blank value. Enter

Code: Select all

freephoneline.ca={voip.freephoneline.ca:5060,x},{voip2.freephoneline.ca:5060,y},{voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060,z}
3. Change x,y,z to a number between 1 and 3, where the number represents priority (that is, what server you want to register with first before others). x,y, and z must be different numbers.
My pings/jitter with voip.freephoneline.ca tend to be better than those from voip2.freephoneline.ca, which in turn are better than pings/jitter with voip4.freephoneline.ca.
So x, y, and z for me would be 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Navigate to Service Providers --> ITSP Profile (FPL) --> SIP
5. For Proxy server, enter freephoneline.ca
6. Registrar server should be blank
7. enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy
(submit/save/reboot)
Jeff146 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2015 2:25 pm
Perfect thanks, can't really test it though unless the server goes down lol.
A. You could try to use a firewall to block one of the servers.

Or

B. a) Temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca

Then can see that you'll register on voip2.freephonline.ca, in my example.

b)Next temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca and voip250.freephoneline.ca.
In this example, you can then see that you'll be registered on voip4.freephoneline.ca

c) Make sure to reset these changes after testing (refer to steps 2 and 3 above)
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 29th, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 11:56 am

I just noticed my phone was not working today. No idea how long today it's been down. This hasn't happened in quite a while.
I checked the Obi configuration page and it looks like it keeps failing to register on the server.

freephoneline-obi-stopped-working-2041950/#p26824161

Here are some things I suggest:

1. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Change this to something between 30000 and 60000

(save settings/reboot)

Changing X_UserAgentPort can also reset a corrupted NAT connection. In some cases, changing local SIP port or X_UserAgentPort is the most effective way of, temporarily, fixing this. The problem can arise due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer.

But more importantly, by using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in a router.

If changing X_UserAgentPort works, there's a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

2. Under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

RegisterRetryInterval needs to be 120

If your ATA attempts more than 5 registrations within a 5 minute period, you'll end up with an automatic temporary I.P. ban with the FPL SIP server being used.
Click http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... redentials and look at Failed Registration Re-Try Interval

http://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-se ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable)."

2. In another thread Pianoguy wrote the following:
Pianoguy wrote:Perhaps your router only keeps the NAT hole open on receipt of a SIP packet. That would be strange, but it's the only thing I can think of that could be causing your symptoms that hasn't yet been investigated. The OBi's default keep-alive message is literally keep-alive which doesn't garner a response. If you have a newer firmware version on your OBi200 (not available on OBi1) you can try the following:

X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked
X_KeepAliveExpires: 20
X_KeepAliveMsgType: custom
X_CustomKeepAliveMsg: mtd=NOTIFY
FWIW, I'm also using X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify. I suggest giving it a shot.

It should be noted that FPL recommends using a Keep Alive message and a Keep Alive Interval of 20 seconds:
Visit http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... redentials

I'm not sure if this feature is available in OBi1xx series ATAs. Possibly it exists in this firmware: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
But I have no clue.

Freephoneline wrote:
Keep Alive Message: NOTIFY or a UDP PING Packet

For Linksys/Cisco devices, use ‘Nat Keep Alive Msg’ = $NOTIFY or $PING
Never use REGISTER as your Keep Alive message

Keep Alive Interval: 20 seconds
Automatically configuring FPL using Obitalk.com sets X_KeepAliveExpires to 15, and it doesn't set X_CustomKeepAliveMsg.

These settings are located under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service in the ATA.

3. And I am using registration server failover. I would suggest doing the following as well, provided whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode:
T-Bone wrote:
Mar 25th, 2013 3:48 pm
Has anyone enabled the Obi device to switch to the alternate server if the primary one goes down? (ie. switch from voip.freephone.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca)?

I found a thread related to this about voip.ms, but I though we could do it with fpl

Following these instructions will work for FPL, but you can do something similar for other providers that offer multiple SIP servers. For VoIP.ms, this will work for outgoing calls only (not incoming).

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

For OBi200/202

A. Navigate to Router Configuration-->WAN Settings-->Local DNS Records

For OBi100/110

A. Navigate to System Management --> Network Settings-->Local DNS Records

(instructions follow for all models)

B. Pick an unused/blank value. Enter

Code: Select all

freephoneline.ca={voip.freephoneline.ca:5060,x},{voip2.freephoneline.ca:5060,y},{voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060,z}
C. Change x,y,z to a number between 1 and 3, where the number represents priority (that is, what server you want to register with first before others). x,y, and z must be different numbers.
My pings/jitter with voip.freephoneline.ca tend to be better than those from voip2.freephoneline.ca, which in turn are better than pings/jitter with voip4.freephoneline.ca.
So x, y, and z for me would be 1, 2, and 3, respectively.

(submit/save/reboot)

D. Navigate to Service Providers --> ITSP Profile (FPL) --> SIP
E. For Proxy server, enter freephoneline.ca
F. Registrar server should be blank
G. enable X_ProxyServerRedundancy
(submit/save/reboot)
Jeff146 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2015 2:25 pm
Perfect thanks, can't really test it though unless the server goes down lol.
i. You could try to use a firewall to block one of the servers.

Or

ii. a) Temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca

Then can see that you'll register on voip2.freephonline.ca, in my example.

b)Next temporarily change voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca to voip50.freephoneline.ca and voip250.freephoneline.ca.
In this example, you can then see that you'll be registered on voip4.freephoneline.ca

c) Make sure to reset these changes after testing (refer to steps B and C above)
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 29th, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
I, very quickly, threw together an OBi202/200 ATA configuration .pdf guide for Freephoneline:
OBi200/202 Freephoneline Setup Guide
Version 1.60

I just did it for some people I know that need step by step instructions, given the problems with the default settings used on Obitalk.com and also with a few settings used in the other .pdf guides on FPL's forums.

It's a bit rough and was quickly thrown together. I'll proofread it and make changes from time to time.

The guide includes a preamble section that I hope many will find useful in addition to a FAQ at the very end.

Hope it helps!
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 22nd, 2018 8:53 am, edited 39 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2107 upvotes
Also is the recommended modems from tech savvy a problem? I was thinking to buy the ZyXEL P660R
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
1. As long as you can stick whatever modem/router combo you get in bridge mode, it shouldn't matter what modem you get.

2. I am not familiar with Archer routers (they may work fine). I suspect Pianoguy would suggest one of the routers (except I suggest avoiding Netgear R7000/R8000 routers for use with Freephoneline--unless you're willing to flash to 3rd party firmware) on this list: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

I use Asus routers (RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3200).

I recommend following this guide to configure your OBi200: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p26860980
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3657 posts
226 upvotes
Georgetown
Sorry for the slightly off topic post, but I think the knowledge will be in this thread....

I decided I wanted a second phone number on my cell, and thought Fongo would be the right FREE solution. However, it does not allow text messages. Is there a free option to get a second phone number on a cell phone, including text messages?

Just curious... thanks in advance.

PS - I have had freephoneline running for years now.... saved soooo much... and the home line becomes less and less important anyway as cell phone usage and text messaging take over.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 1:35 pm

I decided I wanted a second phone number on my cell, and thought Fongo would be the right FREE solution.
Fongo Home phone has monthly fees. Freephoneline doesn't.
However, it does not allow text messages.
Fongo Mobile does. The Fongo Mobile RFD thread is located at merged-fongo-com-talk-freely-world-free ... e-1139985/
Incoming SMS is free with Fongo Mobile. Outgoing isn't. If you have questions concerning Fongo Mobile, I suggest asking there.
Is there a free option to get a second phone number on a cell phone, including text messages?
You'd probably receive more responses by asking in the cellular phone forum: cell-phones-f88/