Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12426 posts
7011 upvotes
Brampton
Anyone know if it's possible to Block outgoing Caller ID on FPL using a Grandstream HT801? Need to resort to my ol' FPL line for some business calls for today's Roger's outage.

From my searches on the internet it appears the answer is no.

I have tried the set "Send Anonymous" option and it's still sending my number. I'm reading it's probably because FPL doesn't respect the privacy flags. On My old PAP2T this worked no problem.
Nov 23, 2012
302 posts
166 upvotes
Ontario
tebore wrote: On My old PAP2T this worked no problem.
You may be surprised to learn that outgoing calls to Fongo Mobile numbers would have still displayed your FPL number.

FPL accounts do not support anonymous calling by default. Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Mobile do, but FPL doesn't. You need special permission to have that feature enabled.
Instead, you need to rely on the ATA to do it, which is worse, and doesn't work for all carriers.

Fongo Mobile can do what you want, if you have a smartphone handy:
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -caller-ID.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12426 posts
7011 upvotes
Brampton
Dahlya wrote: You may be surprised to learn that outgoing calls to Fongo Mobile numbers would have still displayed your FPL number.

FPL accounts do not support anonymous calling by default. Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Mobile do, but FPL doesn't. You need special permission to have that feature enabled.
You need to rely on the ATA to do it, which is worse, and doesn't work for all carriers.

Fongo Mobile can do what you want, if you have a smartphone handy:
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -caller-ID.
Thanks for the info.

i have Fongo accounts already on the cells. Was hoping to use the ATA and the phones for additional lines.

I was definitely able to block all outgoing call ID on my old PAP2T even back to my Fongo Line, looks like i found something this HT801 can't do.
Nov 23, 2012
302 posts
166 upvotes
Ontario
tebore wrote:
I was definitely able to block all outgoing call ID on my old PAP2T even back to my Fongo Line, looks like i found something this HT801 can't do.
I'm not sure why my account would act differently.
*67 or *81 using PAP and SPAxxxx devices on my FPL account doesn't block outgoing CID to my Fongo Mobile account. The FPL number still appears.
Using *67 to call Koodo or Telus doesn't make my FPL number appear.
Koodo/Telus accepts the privacy flag sent by the ATA, but Fongo Mobile doesn't on iOS.

Anyway, the best method is to get permission from FPL support, but I heard they need a good reason.
I don't know if mentioning business would be a good idea in the ticket.

Freephoneline Terms and Conditions

"5. i. Acceptable Use Policy
The Customer may make use of the Services solely for his/her own personal, residential use."
Sep 4, 2019
10 posts
3 upvotes
tebore wrote: Anyone know if it's possible to Block outgoing Caller ID on FPL using a Grandstream HT801? Need to resort to my ol' FPL line for some business calls for today's Roger's outage.

From my searches on the internet it appears the answer is no.

I have tried the set "Send Anonymous" option and it's still sending my number. I'm reading it's probably because FPL doesn't respect the privacy flags. On My old PAP2T this worked no problem.
In the same boat and remembered this thread. How do incoming calls work?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1256 posts
942 upvotes
Whitby
I received this email today from Fongo. Is freephoneline going away for good or is it just a scare tactic to get me signup for fongo home phone?

Your FreePhoneLine Service is getting old...

Your adapter's technology is outdated
The FreePhoneLine platform is no longer updated
Support for FreePhoneLine customers is no longer available

Images
  • fongo.JPG
Dec 29, 2008
396 posts
458 upvotes
Mississauga
I got the same email. If they truly plan on discontinuing Freephoneline, they should stop selling it on their webpage and give their new users ample amount of notice.

Edit: My ATA is an obi202
Last edited by RadioDude on Apr 21st, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17647 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
Could the email have been sent to customers using older hardware like the obi100? I'm using an obi200 and haven't received this email.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1256 posts
942 upvotes
Whitby
audit13 wrote: Could the email have been sent to customers using older hardware like the obi100? I'm using an obi200 and haven't received this email.
I am using obi200, I got the email.
May 6, 2005
477 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Same here.
Using OBi200 and got the email this morning.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4133 posts
3639 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Got the email. I just use their app with a throw away number for things like Kijiji et al. Meh to them.
Fake, inflated, paid, and other forms of scammy news and reviews run rampant. A world drenched in online deceit, spiraling into oblivion.
Dec 10, 2006
96 posts
32 upvotes
Thornhill
Got the same email. Are they discontinuing FPL??
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1260 posts
783 upvotes
Vancouver
I think this is just a clever marketing campaign to make gullible people believe that they need to pay for Fongo.

Read the marketing words carefully:
"Your FreePhoneLine Service is getting old..." - This is true considering the first post on this thread is from 2009. For a technology service, that is ancient.
"Your adapter's technology is outdated" - Also true, as ATAs have not changed much since this thread started in 2009.
"The FreePhoneLine platform is no longer updated" - True, but has it EVER been updated?
"Support for FreePhoneLine customers is no longer available" - Was support EVER available?

Nowhere in the email does it actually say FPL will be discontinued. In addition to the SIP file fee and number porting fee which are profit, they still make ongoing money on it from people who purchase World Credits, etc. Plus the infrastructure already exists for Fongo, and they don't spend money supporting FPL. Also, some people who sign up for FPL because it is "free" may actually take the bait and pay to "upgrade" to Fongo.
Last edited by AEmgee on Apr 22nd, 2021 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1889 posts
620 upvotes
That would suck if they discontinued FPL....wonder when the next price hike is
Oct 7, 2009
727 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
abshahul wrote: I received this email today from Fongo. Is freephoneline going away for good or is it just a scare tactic to get me signup for fongo home phone?

Your FreePhoneLine Service is getting old...

Your adapter's technology is outdated
The FreePhoneLine platform is no longer updated
Support for FreePhoneLine customers is no longer available

Yes, got this email today.. It's disappointing they are targeting the lifetime service (onetime paid for FPL) customers to upgrade to Monthly paid service. If it was a one time pay request to upgrade the device / platform it might had made sense understanding that any technology needs upgrades overtime.
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1876 posts
67 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I was surprised that I got the e-mail from Fongo - begging me to signup for their "paid" service. I've been using FreePhoneLine for almost four years until that e-mail sent to me.

I guess that I will have to go with their service - or maybe set sail with another provider. Only issue is the phone number that I had from my childhood days - will be vanished forever (despite porting my number to another provider).

The VOIP ATA adapter that I have is the Cisco SPA122.
Nov 23, 2012
302 posts
166 upvotes
Ontario
This is nothing new. It's just an ad to upsell.
Fongo Home Phone will offer new features, such as free U.S. calling, while Freephoneline won't.
Last edited by Dahlya on Apr 23rd, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2012
302 posts
166 upvotes
Ontario
AEmgee wrote: Was support EVER available?
Yes, years ago you could even call them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5983 posts
346 upvotes
Quebec
my freephoneline has been acting up in the past month. some calls don't come in sometimes, and more noise in the line occasionally.