Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3292 posts
762 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Tiberius wrote: Is there a free option to get a second phone number on a cell phone, including text messages?
I got the fido 3GB for $15 deal and am trying out some options right now to become my permanent cell phone solution.

Voip.ms is around $1USD/month to have a phone number. And $0.01c/min for all calls. SMS is included and free. although they say SMS is in beta and "free for now". Who knows if they'll ever start charging. Calling can be done through and sip app. SMS is done through the voip.ms SMS app. But can also be sent/received in the web portal if you want to.

Fongo is free to have a phone number. Free incoming texts and $2/month for unlimited texting. All calls and sms must be done through the fongo mobile app.

So no. no free. but about 2 bucks per month gets you something good and reliable. As in the company won't fold suddenly.
Jan 23, 2002
257 posts
24 upvotes
Markham
I was thinking of doing the same with a data only plan. Would love to hear your experience so far. If I want to keep my current number then porting to VoIP.ms is my only option I think.
Koodo $40 6GB
PM $40 4.5GB
Jul 28, 2014
217 posts
156 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
If anyone has an Android phone and hates apps like zoiper which eat your battery I have found a article to add native sip onto your phone. Had a nexus and loved that feature and now with Samsung S7 had to use a third party app till now.

Download Quickshortcutmaker from the app store then create the following. Go to Phone (com.Android.phone) then you need to start activity “com.android.phone.settings.PhoneAccountSettingsActivity” (or “com.android.phone.CallFeaturesSetting” on some other phones).
Once creates you will see the phone icon on home screen which enables you to add sip settings.
Nov 18, 2006
379 posts
25 upvotes
Anybody running FPL with an Obihai suddenly have their incoming voice drop on incoming calls? With no hardware changes in my house, suddenly last week i started getting calls with no incoming voice. Apparently people can hear my voice fine though on those incoming calls. Outgoing calls have both incoming/outgoing voice just fine. I called my ISP but there are no changes on their end apparently.

Any thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
jnmontario wrote: Apparently people can hear my voice fine though on those incoming calls. Outgoing calls have both incoming/outgoing voice just fine.
Refer to page 33 from the guide located at freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p26860980, and use that guide to setup your OBi20x properly.
Check the settings your ATA carefully based on what the .pdf guide states.
Following that .pdf guide would be better than following the steps below, but they're similar.

Getting one way audio issues with an OBi200/202 and Freephoneline? Are incoming calls not ringing? Can you not hear one side of the conversation (you can hear the caller, but the caller can't hear you or vice versa)?

These instructions do not address "this account is not valid" messages (you would need to contact FPL/Fongo for that problem).
"If you’re getting an “invalid account” error messages, or if people trying to call you are hearing "invalid account" or a busy signal, please log in to your account online at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings and reset your Follow Me settings (or disable it). Please ensure your temporary FPL number is not listed as one of the Follow Me numbers."

If you have calls going straight to voicemail, login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings and ensure "Rings before voicemail" is greater than 1. Also, check in your ATA to ensure you don't have "Do Not Disturb" enabled. This is found after logging into your ATA or at Obitalk.com under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->Calling Features-->DoNotDisturbEnable. Ensure there is no checkmark under "Value".
Navigate to Voice Services-->SP (FPL) Service-->Calling Features
a) Ensure DoNotDisturbEnable is unchecked
b) Ensure CallForwardUnconditionalEnable is unchecked
c) Ensure CallForwardOnBusyEnable is unchecked
d) Ensure CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable is uncheked
e) Ensure AnonymousCallBlockEnable is unchecked

Often the problem is due to RTP packets not reaching the ATA. Common causes involve poorly functioning SIP ALGs (especially true with certain Netgear routers) in routers or NAT firewalls.

Hardware Specific Issues

A. Netgear R7000 routers

Disable SIP ALG in this router. Then reboot modem, router, and ATA in that order. Then test again.

If you have a Netgear R7000 router, you may need to install XWRT firmware. Afterwards, turn off the router and the ATA. Turn on the router. Wait for it to be fully up and running (including wi-fi). Then turn on the ATA. Download XWRT-Vortex here: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

B. Nettis 4422 modem from Carry Telecom (click the "Internet" tab)
http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers

C. Hitron CGN3 series modem/router combos from Rogers
Typically it's better to have your own router and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode. Otherwise, get Rogers via @CommunityHelps or TechXpert to disable SIP ALG for you. The TechXpert you speak to may not know how to disable SIP ALG. Be prepared for stupidity and resistance. Someone may try to enable DMZ in your Hitron modem/router; that's a security risk and very stupid. Be aware if you reset your modem or when Rogers pushes new firmware to your Hitron modem/router combo, SIP ALG will be enabled again by default, but there's a workaround listed in the second quotation below.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 972#M28972
Datalink wrote: Call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting of the modem.

If the CSR refuses to check or uncheck the function switch, or tries to direct you to the Techxpert support which is a pay service, terminate the call and send a private message to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG. Include your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area. The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number. This can be obtained by calling Customer support. You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

When that is confirmed as complete, reboot the modem to determine if disabling the SIP/ALG has remedied the problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... d-id/12535
Datalink wrote:The only problem now is that a modem reset will require you to send a pm to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG setting again. To possibly avoid that, do the following:

1. Login into the modem,

2. Navigate to the ADMIN..... BACKUP page.

3. Run the Backup function and store the backup configuration file somewhere on your pc.

If you ever have to reset the modem, return to the ADMIN.... BACKUP page, run the Restore function using the configuration file that you have just created and then reboot the modem. Hopefully that also restores any parameters set by @CommunityHelps, which you are unable to accomplish from the user interface

For everyone with one-way audio issues, follow these steps:

i. Before beginning the steps below make sure whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode if you are using your own router. Call/contact your ISP if you have to. For Bell Hubs, visit please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... r-1993629/

1. Disable any and all port forwarding and/or DMZ in your router. Port forwarding creates security issues and can open the door to SIP scanners and hackers. If you're having trouble with SIP scanners and/or telemarketers, visit newegg-ca-obi200-39-99cad-obi202-59-99c ... st24563087

2. If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

(In Obitalk.com, you will need to enable and enter expert settings to do the following, if you want to use Obitalk.com. You do this by selecting Edit Profile-->Advanced Options-->check Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard-->submit))

Keep in mind too, that if you're using the Obitalk.com web portal, after you submit a new setting, it take several minutes before Obitalk.com pushes the changes you've made to your ATA. Your ATA should reboot automatically after the changes are submitted.

3. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com, Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Pick a random number between 30000 and 60000

(submit/save/reboot)

4. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP

i) ensure X_DiscoverPublicAddress is enabled (it is by default)

ii) enable X_UsePublicAddressInVia (it's not by default)
You will need to uncheck default, device default, and Obitalk settings boxes. Then check the box to enable the feature

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

5. Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

6. If that doesn't work, you can also try enabling X_DetectALG (Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP)

(submit/save/reboot ATA)

7. Retest
When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number. If the problem is solved, don't continue.

8. If that still doesn't work, disable X_DetectALG. And submit/save/reboot ATA.

9. If there are still problems, try disabling the SIP ALG feature in whatever router or modem/router combo it is that you're using:
http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/calling-out
I'm of the opinion Apple routers don't offer this feature, but you might as well check. If you manage to disable SIP ALG in the router, then retest.

DLINK router users may need to log into the admin page of their router, click the "Advanced" tab and then "Firewall Settings",
navigate to "Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration", and uncheck SIP: http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/ ... dv_dmz.htm

If you received a modem/router combo, from your ISP ask your ISP. It is typically better to stick the modem/router combo from your ISP in bridge mode and use an external router.

See here for an example on how to disable SIP ALG in a router: http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg/disable-alg

Save settings.
Turn off both router and ATA. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. Turn on ATA.

10. Try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060

Refer to the underlined notes in section 6c on page 14 and also step 8c on page 18 of the setup guide: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p26860980

Make sure you refer to step 2 again.
(I'm of the opinion that step #6 makes this step redundant, but trying this is worth a shot anyway).
Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is a SIP server whose purpose is to help those with SIP ALG issues (can't disable it in the user's router, for example).

So steps #6, #9, and #10 are all related. They are attempts to address a problem created by SIP ALG.

11. Try this at your own risk: use voip3.freephoneline.ca as the proxyserver
Make sure you refer to step 2 again.
voip3.freephoneline.ca is intended for testing purposes only--or for those who receive explicit permission to use it. Using it for an extended period may get your account banned. However, if using voip3.freephoneline.ca does work, you should open up a ticket with support and let them know that you can't get two-way audio any other way: https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new

If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

FPL configures its SIP servers differently than many other VoIP providers.
voip3.freephoneline.ca conforms more to the norm. But using it without permission can get your account banned.
If you'd like to avoid getting your account banned, use Proxyserver voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 instead and skip to step #14.

12. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

13. If none of that helps, then, unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with port forwarding your RTP (UDP) port range 16660-16798 from your router to your ATA. For reference, that range can be found under ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP. Then look at LocalPortMin and LocalPortMax. RTP packets need to reach your ATA in order for you get incoming audio. Quite often, when the one way audio issue occurs, this is the problem. RTP packets are not reaching your ATA. Ideally, one should not have to port forward in order to achieve proper two-way audio, since port forwarding does create security issues. Port forwarding should only be done when everything else fails.

Refer to the port forwarding section of your router manual to learn how to port forward to your ATA. If a router was given to you by your ISP, call your ISP.

14. Retest. When I say Retest, retest always includes the following: A. Turn off both router and ATA. B. Turn on router. Wait for router to be fully up and transmitting data. C. Turn on ATA.

Then retest by calling your FPL phone number.

15. If all else fails, try posting at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=300 and/or open a support ticket at https://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new
If no responds to your support ticket, provide the ticket number in a private message to Fongo Support after registering and logging into the forums: http://forum.fongo.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=7852

Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 12th, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Keep in mind that Fongo Mobile calls to Freephoneline are SIP URI calls. If you have X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly enabled in your Obihai ATA for FPL, then when using Fongo Mobile to call FPL, your phone will NOT ring UNLESS your ATA is registered with voip.freephoneline.ca. If X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly is enabled and you're registered with voip2.freephoneline.ca or voip4.freephoneline.ca, then your Fongo Mobile calls to your FPL phone number will drop straight to FPL's voicemail.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Nov 18, 2006
379 posts
25 upvotes
Thks very much for the posts. These calls we were getting 1 sided conversations on were regular external calls using either landlines or mobile phones to our old Bell #, which we ported over to FPL.ca on the Obihai 100. No Fongo apps etc.. Prior to a week ago we were receiving those just fine - we were getting rings on our end, 2 way conversation, and voicemails if we missed picking up, we were just missing incoming voice. We'd have to use our caller ID and call back, but on those outgoing calls we'd get perfect 2 way conversation with anybody.

Anyhow for some reason we started to get incoming voice again when I checked tonight. We were away for the weekend, and AFIAK nothing changed over the weekend on our network, my uptime indicates no power loss (thus reboots). Anyhow, very weird, but I'm glad it's working again.

Thanks again.
Last edited by jnmontario on Oct 10th, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
jnmontario wrote: Thks very much for the posts. These are "regular" external calls using either landlines or mobile phones to our old Bell # ported over to FPL.ca. Prior to a week ago we were receiving those just fine - we were getting rings on our end, and voicemails if we missed picking up, just no incoming voice. Anyhow for some reason we started to get incoming voice again when I checked tonight. AFAIK nothing has changed since we left Sat. for the weekend. Tres weird.
It wouldn't be that weird if, somewhere in the interim, your router and/or ATA rebooted.

If you have an OBi200 or OBi202 ATA, using the guide in my signature to setup your ATA properly (following each step) will help prevent this problem from occurring again.
Good luck
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 10th, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2006
379 posts
25 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
It wouldn't be that weird if, somewhere in the interim, your router and/or ATA rebooted.

If you have an OBi200 or OBi202 ATA, using the guide in my signature to setup your ATA properly will help prevent this problem from occurring again.
Sorry, started editing prior to your response.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
jnmontario wrote:
Sorry, started editing prior to your response.
So, you checked your ATA's uptime? Obihai can update firmware (and change settings) without your permission if Obitalk service and Obitalk provisioning are enabled. If they update firmware, your ATA will reboot.

Regardless, under the conditions you described, it's almost always a corrupted NAT connection preventing RTP packets from reaching your ATA that reset somehow.

I'm glad things are working for you again.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 11th, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
jnmontario wrote: No Fongo apps etc.
Oh, the post I made about X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly wasn't directed at you. It was directed at OBi200/202 users who may be attempting to thwart SIP Scanners.
Jul 9, 2012
72 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
Will it worked with Bell fibe DSL with Home Hub 2000 Router. I am not sure if I need to some router configuration? is there any guide available?
Mar 9, 2015
5 posts
Brampton, ON
I keep getting the following error when trying to purchase the unlock key and transfer number service with freephoneline.ca

Error ip country match invalid. Please create a support ticket

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
urssohail wrote: is there any guide available?
There is one in my signature.

A.Use winmtr http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

B. For Freephoneline.ca (based in Ontario), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping about 100 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want.

C. Look at the very last hop or line. Take a look at your average ping--and your maximum. You want those values to be relatively close.
You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping). If you get horrible results (pings over 200ms), you should probably avoid FPL.

I get between 11 (voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca)-24ms (voip4.freephonline.ca) on average, depending on the server I'm testing to. Preferably, you want pings below 100ms.

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

Try the free FPL desktop app first: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/
(fwiw, I dislike this app)

Make sure that you're not muting anything (microphone/speakers), and that you tested to ensure your mic is working before fiddling around with the app: http://win10faq.com/fix-microphone-settings/

And make sure you test incoming calls for 1-way audio issues before paying a dime to FPL (you'll need a mic and headphones/speakers to test). Test on a computer that's connected to your router (without DMZ or port forwarding enabled). Should you encounter 1-way audio issues, look for a feature called SIP ALG in your router (you may need to call your ISP if you're using a modem/router combo) and disable that feature.

C. Concerning Bell Hubs,

i. Typically it's better to have your own router and to stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode:
please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... r-1993629/

ii. Many modem/router combos that are issued by ISPs have faulty SIP ALG/SPI functions enabled, with no way to disable them. These features can mangle SIP headers.

To understand why SIP ALG is often a serious headache visit http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

iii. Properly enable QoS in your router for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual or contact your ISP if you were issued a modem/router combo from them (typically those routers suck and have horrible or absent QoS functions).

I'm not a huge fan of this website, but it suffices for an explanation of QoS: http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm
Avoid anything it says about the G.729

iv. If you still get one-way audio issues with the desktop app, you may need to port forward, which is a security risk (and not advisable).

The FPL desktop app uses ports 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001 if you're going to port forward for the desktop app (you need to port forward to the LAN IP of the computer you're using the Freephonline desktop app on. For most home networks the IP will begin 192.168.xxx.x). Refer to your router's manual to learn how to port forward (if your router came from your ISP, contact your ISP).

Should you encounter one-way audio problems, I would start just by port forwarding 13000-13001 only, which is for RTP (audio packets). If that still doesn't work, you can try adding 6060 or 6061. The most dangerous ports to forward are 5060-5061 and really shouldn't be necessary if you're forwarding 6060 or 6061 anyway. I guess if all else fails, forward all of them: 5060-5061,6060-6061,13000-13001

These are all UDP ports.

5060, 5061, 6060, and 6061 should be alternate SIP ports.

Only port forward if all else fails (and only do it temporarily, since it's a security risk).

Most Obihai OBi200/202 ATA guides can be found over here: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2046832/
And I would recommend reading the guide in my signature.

Good luck
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 13th, 2016 12:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
patelsa wrote: I keep getting the following error when trying to purchase the unlock key and transfer number service with freephoneline.ca

Error ip country match invalid. Please create a support ticket

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Perhaps Freephoneline doesn't allow unlock key purchases without a Canadian I.P. address. I'm not sure. Are you using a VPN? Try disconnecting or switching to a Canadian I.P. address.

Or

Submit a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If it's a billing issue, no one here in this thread is going to be able to help you since none of us work for Freephoneline.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 13th, 2016 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.