freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 10:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Dahlya wrote: If you port out from Freephoneline, after porting is completed, your Freephoneline account will be closed, and you will lose your VoIP unlock key if you have one.

Now you have no control over your ATA or configuration, and since you don’t, you can’t use your ATA to block calls like you can with some ATAs and Freephoneline.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ne-numbers
That was something that I didn't consider when I trying to go into the paid "route". Another option for me is this: buy a new state of the art ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) off Amazon (like the Grandstream devices that Fongo uses) and then reconfigure the VOIP settings for the FPL service.

Even with that "alternate route" (pun intended), Fongo will definitely upsell me to switch to their paid service. What I like about the FPL service however - is that I can control how many rings the phone will ring until the call goes into voice mail (If my memory served me right, I believe it was up to 12 rings). Only problem is - while it may "slow down" the scammers from ringing my phone line, it'll generate a lot "speed bumps" from some legit callers that I deal with (friends, family, businesses).

Aside from that, I also send some "low-volume" faxes each month (about once or twice per month).
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote:Another option for me is this: buy a new state of the art ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) off Amazon (like the Grandstream devices that Fongo uses) and then reconfigure the VOIP settings for the FPL service.
The ATAs with the most powerful call routing features are still from Obihai and not Grandstream.
This is an old but good post to see why. Pricing information is outdated.

What I like about the FPL service however - is that I can control how many rings the phone will ring until the call goes into voice mail
You can do that with Fongo Home Phone.
Last edited by Dahlya on Apr 30th, 2021 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Dahlya wrote: The ATAs with the most powerful call routing features are still from Obihai and not Grandstream.

Thanks. Didn't know that Obhai VOIP ATAs are better than Grandstream. Aside from that, I wonder how intuitive (simple) the configuration interface is for Obihai VOIP devices?
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Thanks. Didn't know that Obhai VOIP ATAs are better than Grandstream. Aside from that, I wonder how intuitive (simple) the configuration interface is for Obihai VOIP devices?
I understand how to configure both since I have access to guidance. The UI makes no difference to me since you have to enter values no matter what. The most comprehensive guide for an ATA for Freephoneline is this one.

If you feel that question is important then you’re probably better off with Fongo Home Phone.
Last edited by Dahlya on Apr 29th, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
1138 posts
199 upvotes
Your FreePhoneLine Service
is getting old...

Your adapter's technology is outdated
The FreePhoneLine platform is no longer updated
Support for FreePhoneLine customers is no longer available

You will likely encounter issues in the future with this service, and we will NOT be able to provide support to help you.

Thoughts on this email?
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
stratux wrote:

Thoughts on this email?
Technical support for Freephoneline hasn't been free for years now.

There's a discussion over here. They want to upsell.
These advertisements to switch have been around since 2019.

If the ad scares you into considering Fongo Home Phone, then the ad is probably doing its job.
Apr 3, 2017
304 posts
256 upvotes
my public mobile plan 10$ phone plan (for old customers) - 5$ loyalty - 2$ autopay = 3$/month
they sometimes give free add-on data that never expires on christmas / chinese new year etc
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2716 posts
1936 upvotes
GTA
GSD wrote: Got the same email from FPL/Fongo and an email from GoogleVoice saying I aint used my US number for a while and it will be recycled if I don't use it in 30 days.
You can use your Google Voice number to make outgoing calls to keep it active.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1775 posts
2879 upvotes
Kingston
stratux wrote: Your FreePhoneLine Service
is getting old...

Your adapter's technology is outdated
The FreePhoneLine platform is no longer updated
Support for FreePhoneLine customers is no longer available

You will likely encounter issues in the future with this service, and we will NOT be able to provide support to help you.

Thoughts on this email?
I got the same notice. No idea if they are decommissioning the FPL service, or it's just a tactic to get on Fongo.
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
Im experiencing popping sounds recently… and when I don’t hear them, the other people do… any work around?
Also, when I get a few calls in the same day, some there will be no ringing and the call will go directly to VM, even if the line is free at that time.

Any help on how to correct?
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
barginfreak wrote:
Any help on how to correct?
Start here.

Popping sounds could be an issue with your handset or mic, but in combination with incoming calls periodically not being received, your problem is likely associated with jitter and packet loss, which are usually QoS (on your LAN) or Internet Service Provider related issues. If the problem is ISP related, the issue may also be occurring somewhere along the path to the server used.

If you need to make test calls, go here. There's Toronto and B.C. numbers for echo tests.
Last edited by Dahlya on Apr 30th, 2021 9:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
xtrmDeals wrote: I got the same notice.
Most did.

No idea if they are decommissioning the FPL service, or it's just a tactic to get on Fongo.
Nowhere in the ad do they state they're discontinuing Freephoneline. It's an upsell. There's a discussion over here.
The ads have been around since 2019, and Freephoneline continues to work.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
got the same thing.. I've had my phone from the $50 voip key days and it worked the times i use it. If the time ever comes that they force this probably going to cancel it or goto voip.ms as have a cell so not a real loss to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
tbgconnor wrote: I got the same email too. Kind of a slimy marketing tactic. Making it sound like they are discontinuing the service.

If they shared more details about why it's worth upgrading to Fongo then maybe I'd even consider it. But the slimy / misleading email makes me want to avoid their company.
I'd probably just go with voip.ms if they shut down FPL.

Until then, I will keep the service until they discontinue it. It's working great for my family and my grandmother.

I am using an Cisco SPA112 with the service and it's never had any issues, always worked great.
The do say that they are including calling to the US (which I already get from Textnow and Google Voice - the latter is on an ATA, so that works for me).

They called me back to let me know that the deal is that they are not planning to do any upgrades to the FPL platform (I suspect it is probably shared with Fongo anyway) and that they will not be treating FPL as a priority. When I pointed out that I'd paid $125 or so to port over and get the credentials they did say that there's no one twisting my arm to move, but that Fongo does provide human support and that for $27 (or was it $29) they give you a Grandstream ATA.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
So here's an odd issue with my ObiHai Obi200 that I can't seem to figure out....
PXL_20210509_153003187.jpg
PXL_20210509_153017118.jpg
The first pic with the red power light happens for about 2 seconds as soon as I plug in the power cable and then it goes away. The green network light then begins to flash (second pic) in sync with what looks like network activity. But I'm not getting any service whatsoever, either outgoing or incoming calls. The phone light remains off throughout all of the above.

I switched the power supply cable and same result.

I've had this Obi200 for about 10 years now and using it for my home phone service with FPL (freephoneline) without much issue all this time. This just happened all of a sudden 2 days ago.

Countless attempts to reboot, unplug/replug, switching out networking cables, restarting modem, etc are not getting me my three lights on the unit.

One thing I did notice when this first came to my attention was that all green lights were on, but the phone light was blinking... Just as if there was an active/connected call as per normal; however there wasn't an active call at the time. Very odd. So that's when I first pulled the power cord in an attempt to reboot the unit, but have since had this issue with the power light shining red briefly, going away and then followed by a green blinking network light.

I can't seem to find this issue/sequence of lights reported anywhere else.

Has my Obi200 bit the dust?

It seems odd that there would be "no power" when it's allowing for the network light to flash.

I'm completely stumped. Please help!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
499 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Repooc wrote: So here's an odd issue with my ObiHai Obi200 that I can't seem to figure out....
PXL_20210509_153003187.jpg
PXL_20210509_153017118.jpg
The first pic with the red power light happens for about 2 seconds as soon as I plug in the power cable and then it goes away. The green network light then begins to flash (second pic) in sync with what looks like network activity. But I'm not getting any service whatsoever, either outgoing or incoming calls. The phone light remains off throughout all of the above.

I switched the power supply cable and same result.

I've had this Obi200 for about 10 years now and using it for my home phone service with FPL (freephoneline) without much issue all this time. This just happened all of a sudden 2 days ago.

Countless attempts to reboot, unplug/replug, switching out networking cables, restarting modem, etc are not getting me my three lights on the unit.

One thing I did notice when this first came to my attention was that all green lights were on, but the phone light was blinking... Just as if there was an active/connected call as per normal; however there wasn't an active call at the time. Very odd. So that's when I first pulled the power cord in an attempt to reboot the unit, but have since had this issue with the power light shining red briefly, going away and then followed by a green blinking network light.

I can't seem to find this issue/sequence of lights reported anywhere else.

It seems odd that there would be "no power" when it's allowing for the network light to flash.

I'm completely stumped. Please help!!!
I also have the Obi200, and for 2-3 days I'm experiencing the same issue as you..perhaps they pulled the plug? I didn't have time to investigate
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
nahsha wrote: I also have the Obi200, and for 2-3 days I'm experiencing the same issue as you..perhaps they pulled the plug? I didn't have time to investigate
Whoa! Really!?!?!

I can't find any other complaints online. I'm (kind of) glad this isn't an isolated event.

Surely there are MANY people with FPL + Obi200 setups, wonder how many others there are experiencing the same thing

I just checked my account on the FPL website and it shows SIP Status as Disconnected. That usually happens when my obi200 is off.

So I can't correlate why the device itself is showing the network LED activity light blinking.
Dec 29, 2008
588 posts
892 upvotes
Mississauga
Repooc wrote: Whoa! Really!?!?!

I can't find any other complaints online. I'm (kind of) glad this isn't an isolated event.

Surely there are MANY people with FPL + Obi200 setups, wonder how many others there are experiencing the same thing

I just checked my account on the FPL website and it shows SIP Status as Disconnected. That usually happens when my obi200 is off.

So I can't correlate why the device itself is showing the network LED activity light blinking.
I have the fpl service with ob202 and it's currently working normally.
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
nahsha wrote: I also have the Obi200, and for 2-3 days I'm experiencing the same issue as you
Your power LED remains off too?

perhaps they pulled the plug?
Everyone I know with an OBi200 or OBi202 isn't having a problem, and a discontinued service can't affect the power LED.
Nov 23, 2012
314 posts
177 upvotes
Ontario
Repooc wrote:

This is the only thing I can find, which does seem to suggest hardware failure, perhaps from a power outage, power fluctuation, or old age. You can try a factory reset, but you would have to reconfigure.
Poltash wrote:Now when I turn this on
1. Without ethernet: pwr light starts Red & goes off in few seconds, none of the lights stay, phone has no tone, on ***5 gives no IP

2. With ethernet: pwr light starts Red & goes off in few seconds, ethernet comes on and stays green, on router I see it does not pickup any IP, none other lights stay, phone has no tone, on ***5 gives no IP
Last edited by Dahlya on May 10th, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)