Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
quanta wrote:
[*]I'm going by memory here (this is for family, my FPL setup is A-OK), but it was "The caller is unavailable".
Wow, is there a SIP error code (3 digit)? Again, make sure Follow Me is disabled:https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings

Normally, even if you had Do Not Disturb On in the ATA, calls would go straight to FPL's voicemail.

The only time I can recall encountering a message like the one you described is if I have Follow Me on with a second incoming call from a non-FPL/Fongo phone number. Or if an incoming call has engaged FPL's voicemail--and then a second incoming call tries to reach the same FPL # while the first caller is leaving a message.

Rings before voicemail is bigger than 1, right? https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings

I've changed both the SIP username and the X-InboundPath to match
That's AuthUserName.
Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName
Please double check AuthUserName
Found under https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings

There is X_InboundCallRoute but not X-InboundPath.

Post the contents of your X_InboundCallRoute for FPL.

Using Teksavvy, so it was a separate modem (TP-Link TD-8186) and router (Archer C1900)
Okay, so that's DSL. Are you using the router to do PPoE login? If not, please do so.

FWIW, I see firmware here: http://www.tplink.ca/en/download/Archer ... l#Firmware
I'm not sure if that applies to your router.

I've never used a C1900 before. I can't find a decent manual for it online.

But basically, I would try to look for something like https://www.manualslib.com/manual/72177 ... =91#manual
(look at the pic; disable SIP ALG).
In both FPL account page and Obi200 status page, "Registered"
Yeah . . . FPL's account page status is almost never correct.

And you have can have the incorrect AuthUsername listed in the ATA, and your ATA will still register perfectly fine with FPL.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1565 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Webslinger,

No SIP error code. Follow Me is disabled. It is like you said - like someone else has occupied the line already.

Voicemail rings is set to 5.

AuthUserName is "14165551234" with the value being 1+phone number.

X-InboundCallroute is "{14165551234:ph}" with the value being 1+phone #.

Yes, that is the site for firmware I've found before. It appears the Canadian version of the router never had an update beyond the first release.

It's bizarre, it has a similar screen to adjust ALG values but it only lists FTP, TFTP and H323.

ProxyServerPort: default port 5060 as the and a high 50,000+ port # for UserAgentPort. Router does not have virtual servers turned on (yet).

Don't know about incorrect AuthUsername in FPL account page, however I wasn't able to make any outbound calls and status was "unregistered" when it was incorrect. Switching it to the ported # brought the ATA into Registered status.

I probably missed something in the configuration, I just need some help narrowing it down...
Webslinger wrote: Wow, is there a SIP error code (3 digit)? Again, make sure Follow Me is disabled:https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings

Normally, even if you had Do Not Disturb On in the ATA, calls would go straight to FPL's voicemail.

The only time I can recall encountering a message like the one you described is if I have Follow Me on with a second incoming call from a non-FPL/Fongo phone number. Or if an incoming call has engaged FPL's voicemail--and then a second incoming call tries to reach the same FPL # while the first caller is leaving a message.

Rings before voicemail is bigger than 1, right? https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings

That's AuthUserName.
Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName
Please double check AuthUserName
Found under https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings

There is X_InboundCallRoute but not X-InboundPath.

Post the contents of your X_InboundCallRoute for FPL.

Okay, so that's DSL. Are you using the router to do PPoE login? If not, please do so.

FWIW, I see firmware here: http://www.tplink.ca/en/download/Archer ... l#Firmware
I'm not sure if that applies to your router.

I've never used a C1900 before. I can't find a decent manual for it online.

But basically, I would try to look for something like https://www.manualslib.com/manual/72177 ... =91#manual
(look at the pic; disable SIP ALG).

Yeah . . . FPL's account page status is almost never correct.

And you have can have the incorrect AuthUsername listed in the ATA, and your ATA will still register perfectly fine with FPL.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Plat & Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
quanta wrote:
X-InboundCallroute is "{14165551234:ph}" with the value being 1+phone #.
I'm a bit confused. I never said to do that in my guide. Version 1.23 of my guide can be found here.

lol. I was frantically reading through my guide to see if I made a really bad typo or something.

Change X_InboundCallroute to just ph

Just use "ph" without the quotation marks.

What you have currently means send incoming calls with caller id 14165551234 to the (ringer) phone port. No other incoming calls with any other caller id will ring the phone port.

quanta wrote:
Don't know about incorrect AuthUsername in FPL account page
I'm talking about your ATA's registration status listed in your FPL's account portal. It's usually useless information and lags behind what's actually occurring.
however I wasn't able to make any outbound calls
Right, good point. I skimmed over that part quickly.

Anyway, I hope changing your X_Inboundcallroute fixes your problem! Good Luck!
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1479 posts
148 upvotes
thanks Webslinger for the details pdf instructions.. followed it and got it working.. so glad you make it Toronto specified (the special 211,311 number setup)..

I have a question with call forward no answer... should we use the setup my obi ATA or should we use freephoneline's Follow-Me? what is the pro and con?

thanks
Aug 7, 2010
248 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote: So, there appears to be a Freephoneline issue with respect to calling Tanzania:
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p26941079

Two people are having the same problem.

And according to that post, FPL reps are not responding to the bug reports, which is unfortunate since these people are paying for World Credits to call long distance.

Anyway, if you're having issues calling Tanzania with FPL, you know why.
posted update here (newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27130734)

need to submit 'world credits inquiry'
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
softech wrote: thanks Webslinger for the details pdf instructions.. followed it and got it working.. so glad you make it Toronto specified (the special 211,311 number setup)..

I have a question with call forward no answer... should we use the setup my obi ATA or should we use freephoneline's Follow-Me? what is the pro and con?

thanks
I would use the Obihai ATA to do this.

The cons are you that you must set the number of rings below whatever the number of rings you have set for FPL voicemail to pickup, and since FPL only allows two channels to be used at any time, you can only specify one phone number to reach if you only have one SP configured in your ATA. Another limiting factor is that CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber only allows for one phone number anyway. Edit: Also the call will be picked up by FPL's voicemail if no one else answers by the # of rings before voicemail that FPL is set to.

If you use FPL's Follow Me, the Telemarketer blocking information I wrote in the guide may not work (unless you route MTelemarketers somewhere where the call is picked up immediately. Those telemarketing calls will still be forwarded).

1. If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu. If you use Obitalk.com, you need to use the expert configuration menu.

It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

2. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP-->

disable X_Use302ToCallForward

(call forwarding with FPL won't work with that enabled)

save settings

3. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->Calling Features

a. CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable needs to be enabled

b. CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber should be SPx(phone number you want to forward to when no one answers)

Note that x is whatever Service Provider # you want to use to call the forwarded number.
So, if you want to use FPL and if FPL is setup on SP1, then you would use SP1(4161234567)

But if you have another service provider you want to use instead of FPL to make the call, you could use SP2(4161234567)

CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber only allows for one phone number.

c. CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount needs to be lower than your FPL's Rings before voicemail setting: https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings
Otherwise, FPL's voicemail would pick up the call, and your call won't be forwarded.

4. You don't have to do step 3 at all if you want to ring multiple phone numbers using multiple SPs.

a. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_InboundCallRoute

{ph, SP2(4161234567;d=10),SP3(4162345678;d=10)}

d=delay in seconds

So you can change 10 to whatever you want, provided it's less time than it takes for FPL's voicemail to pickup.

From my guide . . .

Call Waiting doesn’t work when FPL's Follow Me is enabled!

You’re correct. Call waiting won’t work when Follow Me is enabled unless the second incoming call is from a Freephoneline, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home Phone number. Calls between FPL, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home Phone number, at the time of this writing, are SIP URI calls. SIP URI calls don’t count towards the 2 channel limit (2 outbound, 2 inbound, or 1 outbound and 1 inbound call) that Freephoneline uses.

With Follow Me enabled, when there's already an existing call in progress, the second incoming call will not be forwarded unless it's from another FPL, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home Phone number. Instead, the incoming caller (unless it's from a FPL, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home Phone number) will hear the message, "The user you are trying to reach is not available", and that second call will also not appear in your online Freephoneline call logs. Only answered calls appear in FPL's call logs (calls answered by FPL’s voicemail system count as answered calls).

With Follow Me enabled, when there's already an existing call in progress, the second incoming call will be forwarded if it's from another FPL, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home phone number. However, if this second incoming call is not answered by one of the Follow Me destinations, the call will not be answered by FPL's voicemail. Instead the caller will hear, "The user you are trying to reach is not available."

If someone is leaving a message on FPL’s voicemail, and another call comes in, FPL’s voicemail won’t answer the second call!

You’re right again. Unless the second call is coming from another FPL, Fongo Mobile, or Fongo Home Phone number, Freephoneline’s voicemail won’t answer the second call.

The Call Forward When Unavailable (Follow Me) Option is confusing!

Indeed. What actually happens with "Call Forward When Unavailable" is selected is this: if the incoming call would otherwise go to FPL's voicemail, the call is forwarded. That has nothing to do with your ATA being offline or your number not working. Someone could simply not answer the call despite your FPL number working, and the call will still be forwarded.

Ring ring ring ring. Oh, no one is picking up. I, FPL, would normally send the call to voicemail at this point, but I'll just forward the call.

That's basically what happens.

In other words, even when the ATA is online and registered, if the call would normally go to FPL's voicemail, the call is still forwarded. The trigger for "Call Forward When Unavailable" seems to be FPL's voicemail--and not the ATA being unregistered. FPL's voicemail doesn't actually pickup though; the call is just forwarded at the moment that FPL's voicemail would normally pickup. The call is then forwarded to your follow me numbers. If no one picks up the call after all that, the call gets dropped, finally, to FPL's voicemail.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 29th, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Y.M.C.M.B wrote: posted update here (newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p27130734)

need to submit 'world credits inquiry'
Thank you for the update!
Nov 21, 2014
674 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
Will give it a try, thanks op!
Thanks for the upvote! 😁
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2116 upvotes
Got my Obi ATA now!! But I need to set it up
Is it possible to port your home phone number into google voice?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2116 upvotes
Webslinger I have a rogers modem/router combo, I am reading your guide-you say it's best to have your own router and put ISP modem/router in bridge mode. Will I need to get my own modem if I do this?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Jungle wrote: Is it possible to port your home phone number into google voice?
No. Google Voice phone numbers are U.S. only, and using them in Canada breaks Google's terms of service. I won't be helping anyone obtain Google Voice phone numbers.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 30th, 2016 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Jungle wrote: Webslinger I have a rogers modem/router combo, I am reading your guide-you say it's best to have your own router and put ISP modem/router in bridge mode. Will I need to get my own modem if I do this?
You likely have a modem that's supplied by your ISP. You wouldn't need to buy another modem.

Rather, you would need to buy your own router--if you decide to go that route.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2116 upvotes
Ok thanks, didn't know that with google. I guess that is why everyone here is using freephoneline.
Of the three routers you suggested before, which one do you think is best value?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Jungle wrote: Ok thanks, didn't know that with google. I guess that is why everyone here is using freephoneline.
Of the three routers you suggested before, which one do you think is best value?
I haven't looked into pricing for quite awhile, sorry.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)