Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1482 posts
149 upvotes
Webslinger, i followed your instructions.. it sort of working... but have some problem.

i set FPL voicemail kicks in after 5 rings.. which is max

I set CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber SP1(416xxxxxxx)
i set on the OBI200 to have callforwardnoanswer after 3 rings

X_Use302ToCallForward is NOT checked.. (that mean disable .. i believe)

I tested it... it did call my cell after 3 rings.. however, after 2 more rings (a total of 5).. FPL voicemail still kicks in.. so the cell can no longer pick up the call

is that normal behaviour ? can we have a way to have FPL pass the call to the cell and voicemail won't kick in at all?

thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
softech wrote: i set FPL voicemail kicks in after 5 rings.. which is max
Yeah, that's normal in this scenario with FPL. There's no way to disable FPL's voicemail.

FPL makes money on termination fees to its network. The more incoming calls that are made, the more money they make. And those calls needs to be answered by something if order for a completed call to be made.
X_Use302ToCallForward is NOT checked.. (that mean disable .. i believe)
Yes, that's disabled.

is that normal behaviour ?
Yes
can we have a way to have FPL pass the call to the cell and voicemail won't kick in at all?
No. FPL's voicemail will always pick up the call if nothing else does.

What you can do is ring your cell and phone port simultaneously. That's CallForwardUnconditionalEnable with CallForwardUnconditionalNumber.
Or in your X_Inboundcallroute you could have ph,SP1(cellnumber) instead of using CallForwardUnconditionalEnable.
Again, the max number of rings will be 5 before FPL's voicemail picks up.

Alternatively, you can use FPL's Follow Me, with the understanding that the call blocking methods I described in the guide won't work if Follow Me is used (unless you route MTelemarketers somewhere to where the call is picked up immediately).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 30th, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
1482 posts
149 upvotes
Webslinger .. again.. thanks very much..

for my purpose.. I guess I will do Follow me for now and see how bad the Marketing calls are and will change it if needed. Honest.. having FPL voicemail to pickup with just 5 rings not very practical for my purpose.

thanks a lot!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
softech wrote: Webslinger .. again.. thanks very much..

for my purpose.. I guess I will do Follow me for now and see how bad the Marketing calls are and will change it if needed. Honest.. having FPL voicemail to pickup with just 5 rings not very practical for my purpose.

thanks a lot!!!!
Okay, just to be clear, you can (without using Follow Me) have both your cellphone and your ATA's phone port ring simultaneously up to 5 times.

Anyway, good luck. I'm going to be busy getting MRIs done tomorrow and won't be available.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Feb 13, 2005
311 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Great thread.

Ordered the sip login from fpl and tried it out on my new obi200 that i got on sale from Webslinger's thread (thanks!)

Ive purchased the sip login info and had ported my landline number, but i noticed the log in for the sip is the phone number that i used to sign up to FPL with, does the login change to my ported phone number after port is done in a week or does it stay the same? Just dont want it to go offline suddenly cuz the login.

TIA
:mad: PRIVATIZE THE LCBO! PRIVATIZE ONTARIO WEED! SAY NO TO NANNY STATISM! :mad:
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3292 posts
762 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
taehoya wrote: Great thread.

Ordered the sip login from fpl and tried it out on my new obi200 that i got on sale from Webslinger's thread (thanks!)

Ive purchased the sip login info and had ported my landline number, but i noticed the log in for the sip is the phone number that i used to sign up to FPL with, does the login change to my ported phone number after port is done in a week or does it stay the same? Just dont want it to go offline suddenly cuz the login.

TIA
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens. Once the port happens you will have to change the SIP Username on your obi200 to log in with the new one.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1565 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Webslinger,

I hope your MRIs went well. They're noisy, cold and no fun.
Webslinger wrote: I'm a bit confused. I never said to do that in my guide. Version 1.23 of my guide can be found here.
Sorry for the confusion! You are right and here's how I made the mistake: the Obi200 already had X_InboundCallroute set to 416555124:ph (why? I do not know. I don't recall putting that in there.). There was another guide online (before I found yours) that suggested keeping it there for security reasons. When I read your guide, I skipped over X_InboundCallroute because I did not want to set up the telemarketer rules.
Webslinger wrote:
Change X_InboundCallroute to just ph
It worked, although I had to also disable "X_Use302ToCallForward" too! There is a little bit of static on the line during incoming voice but it's hard to say whether that's the phone, Internet connection, or the codec. We'll monitor it. Thanks!
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Plat & Cobalt / GCR / Rakuten / Plastiq / Paymi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
softech wrote: hope all is good with your MRIs....
Thank you!
Kevinck wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens. Once the port happens you will have to change the SIP Username on your obi200 to log in with the new one.
Yep
quanta wrote: Hi Webslinger,

I hope your MRIs went well. They're noisy, cold and no fun.
Thank you. It was a long, brutal day (not including the MRI). 80 minute MRI today, but I've had other 80 minute MRIs before. Always around the 40 minute mark, I start sweating. Any MRI over 45 minutes, I find pretty aggravating.

Anyway, I just mentioned the hospital visit because sometimes people expect me to get back to them right away, and I simply can't.

Sorry for the confusion! You are right and here's how I made the mistake: the Obi200 already had X_InboundCallroute set to 416555124:ph (why? I do not know. I don't recall putting that in there.). There was another guide online (before I found yours) that suggested keeping it there for security reasons.
Oh, that's {>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph} for OBi100/110 users. The equivalent for OBi200/202 users is simply enabling X_EnforceRequestUserID.
That's found under Voice Services > SP(service you're using) Service-->SIP Credentials

It worked, although I had to also disable "X_Use302ToCallForward" too!
I mention disabling that on page 18 of my guide.

Freephoneline requires calls to be bridged if you want your ATA to forward calls.
If X_Use302ToCallForward is enabled, calls that are forwarded by the ATA (as opposed to using Freephoneline’s Follow Me feature) will be dropped to voicemail.

There is a little bit of static on the line during incoming voice but it's hard to say whether that's the phone, Internet connection, or the codec. We'll monitor it.
It's not the internet connection. And it's unlikely to be the codec used, especially if G.711u is being used (and it likely is by default).

From page 37 of my guide. . .
I'm noticing static. What should I do?

1. First thing I would do is try a different phone.

2. Some users have reported switching the ethernet port to full duplex fixes static noise. Force your Obihai ATA to use 100Mbit Full duplex by doing the following:

Dial *** 0
Enter option 27 and press #
Press 1 to set a new value
Enter a value of 1
Press 1 to confirm/save
Hang up
Your ATA should reboot at this point.

3. Try moving your ATA away from other devices to see if that helps.

4. Some other people mentioned the power supply adapter being an issue here:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3814.0

But that was for the OBi110/100 series, I think.

If the issue is the adapter, you may be able to get Obihai to send you a new one, but I think I would just ask for a replacement from the point of purchase (probably Newegg Canada). Also visit http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8754.0.

If you try dialing *** and still get static, obviously the issue isn't your VoIP provider.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Also, is there a way to only use the Attendant when we want rather than all the time? It can get annoying if I just need to make a call home to talk to kids but have to press 1 each time.can I invoke AA only when I want?

@cessnabmw

While the answer is still "not that I'm aware of", you could do something like this (in your X_InboundCallRoute for FPL):

For OBi202
{(cellphone#1|cellphone#2):aa($1);d=6,ph,ph2}

For OBi200
{(cellphone#1|cellphone#2):aa($1);d=6,ph}

Related info is over here: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0

d=delay in seconds

So, d=6 is wait 6 seconds before sending the call to the Auto Attendant.

6 seconds = 3 rings, in my case

So, your phone port(s) will ring 3 times, and then, if no one picks up, the call will be sent to the Auto Attendant, where you can press 1 to continue ringing your phones, if you wish.

The only problem I have in this scenario is that it's really annoying when you want to reach AA and someone at home picks up the phone first.

So, instead of using a delay (d=6) in your X_InboundCallRoute, I suggest inserting a pause or comma followed by 1 into your Smartphone's address book for your FPL phone number for dialing home. And then setup a phone contact number entry in your Smartphone for the Auto Attendant without the pause followed by 1.

For iPhones, visit http://www.imore.com/daily-tip-automati ... ion-iphone

For Androids, visit http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electro ... xy-note-3/
http://www.imore.com/daily-tip-automati ... ion-iphone
Jun 3, 2007
363 posts
80 upvotes
Been using FPL for years but this weekend, outgoing calls were being picked up, but the other party couldn't hear me. Incoming calls are fine. I'm using the SPA-2102 on Rogers. I tried making a few tweaks using the forum guide. Any ideas about this one way audio issue?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Candeeman wrote: Been using FPL for years but this weekend, outgoing calls were being picked up, but the other party couldn't hear me.
So their phones ring, but then they can't hear you at all? Or is it just choppy outgoing voice?

Incoming calls are fine. I'm using the SPA-2102 on Rogers. I tried making a few tweaks using the forum guide. Any ideas about this one way audio issue?
I would follow the steps here (they also apply to your ATA), in particular the ones at the bottom of the post, starting with "Before beginning the steps below make sure whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode if you are using your own router": freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p26808549

Definitely do steps i,ii,3,4,5, and 6. If the problem persists, try steps 7, 8, and 12.

And some other things to consider (but a lot less likely) . . .
Have you tried using a different phone? Might be a mic/transmitter issue.
Also you might want to try a different phone port on the back of the ATA just to see if one is damaged.
I'm not sure if you need to adjust FXS port output gain (Voice-->Regional-->Miscellaneous-->FXS Port Output Gain). But I would leave that alone right now.

I suspect those potential issues I've just raised are less likely than a corrupted NAT/router issue (but I'm somewhat thrown off by the recipient's phone ringing), which I suspect could be temporarily corrected by rebooting your modem-->router (wait for it to be fully up and running)-->ATA (in that order).
Jun 3, 2007
363 posts
80 upvotes
They couldn't hear me at all, but their phones rang. I tried the steps in the post you provided, but still the same. I gave Rogers a call to disable SIP ALG, but they had no clue what I was talking about. I tried using a different phone, but to no avail. When I went back to the original phone, the issue was resolved, just like that. Thanks for the quick reply. All is good now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Candeeman wrote: I gave Rogers a call to disable SIP ALG, but they had no clue what I was talking about.
First level phone reps are typically clueless.
I tried using a different phone, but to no avail. When I went back to the original phone, the issue was resolved, just like that. Thanks for the quick reply. All is good now.
Great!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Jean-KristofD146, econ007