Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
boon1 wrote: Any external calls to my home number will be directed to the answering machine but no messages is being recorded. At first I thought it was the answering machine problem but this is not the case.

I've a specific phone number setup on OBi200 that it will be redirected to Auto-Attendant and will give me an option to either calling my home or allow this number to make a phone calls from my home phone.

Remove that specific number from being directed to the Auto Attendant and test again (call your FPL number by using that specific number). It should be trivial for you to test with your cell phone number. After testing, add the specific number back again.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. What you're describing doesn't make any sense to me. That is, I fail to see what difference it makes whether your phone rings with or without the auto attendant being triggered.
The phone rings regardless. Consequently, your answering machine should pick up regardless.
Could it be the faulty of my existing OBi200?
Given that I can't see what difference ringing makes regardless of whether Auto Attendant is triggered, I'm not sure why your ATA would be at fault. A ring is a ring.
Are you saying your answering machine doesn't pick up the call? If so, I'm not sure what's happening with your answering machine.
Maybe try asking in the Obihai forums.

Or are you hearing beeping on the recorded message? If you're hearing beeping, then your ATA is trying to handle, incorrectly, a fax event (and the following instructions below apply):

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods.

That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.

It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

1. Navigate to Codecs-->Codec Profile (do this for both A&B)-->Codec Settings

2. If T38Enable is enabled, change T38Reinvite to "callee only"

3. Save settings/reboot ATA

There's a related thread here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12530.20
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 13th, 2018 10:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: looking for some help with a spam caller that always gets through to voice mail without the phone ringing. They're calling from a 800 number, I copied the number exactly from the FPL logs and put it into the telemarketer setup portion (Label: Telemarketers
DigitMap: (2064560661|9052811282|8888001250|8001112222)) and have it forwarding off to a phone number that plays a recorded message. The forwarding works, I added my own cell and tried it multiple times.

Does the number appear differently in your ATA's call history (Status-->Call History)?
If the first call isn't being forwarded at all (again, check your ATA's call history), then you would need to see how the number appears in your ATA's call history and ensure that it's entered properly in your Telemarketer digitmap.

1) Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser
2) Navigate to Status-->Call History

Copy and paste the offending number into your Telemarketer digitmap.

You should see in your logs, if the call is forwarded, something similar to this:

From 'Spammer ' SP1(8001234567) To SP1(6471234567)

Spammer = CNAM of the telemarketer

8001234567 = CID number of the telemarketer (this is the number you want to copy and paste)
6471234567 = the number you're forwarding the incoming call to
SP1 = FPL, in this example

Anyway, it's probably a robodialer calling you, and it may be calling you twice at the exact same time or shortly after the first call is in progress. The first call gets forwarded. The second incoming call should receive the message, "the user you are trying to reach is unavailable"--unless the second call is coming from Fibernetics (FPL or Fongo), which would be a SIP URI call. I doubt the incoming call is from a Fibernetics number because FPL and Fongo don't issue 800 numbers. That second call, if it's a SIP URI incoming call (FPL doesn't accept incoming SIP URI calls unless they're from FPL or Fongo numbers), might drop to FPL's voicemail system. You can check to see what's going on with respect to incoming calls by checking FPL's call logs after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs.

FPL's VoIP service doesn't block calls (with the exception of the desktop app). The attempted blocked calls are dropped directly to FPL's voicemail system. And Freephoneline allows any combination of two simultaneous channels at any given time (1 outgoing and 1 incoming; 2 incoming; or 2 outgoing). Forwarding an incoming call using your ATA uses two channels. An alternative would be to use a different SP than what you have FPL provisioned on to forward the call, provided that service provider allows multiple outgoing forwarded calls.

Also have _AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly enabled as well as X_UserAgentPort on a random high port and have changed it a few times (59001, 59719 etc). I am not using port forwarding on the router.
Those settings are related to SIP scanners and people hacking you--and not regular calls. This is a regular call that's showing up in your FPL call logs.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Mar 14, 2009
242 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Hi @Webslinger, thank you for all the explanation and help.

I've followed all the instructions but still the answering machine is not recording any messages.
Or are you hearing beeping on the recorded message? If you're hearing beeping, then your ATA is reacting, incorrectly, to a fax event (and the following instructions below apply):
No, there are no beeping sound on the recording message.

Another thing I notice was that for any calls coming from overseas, I set it to use Codec Profile B with different ring tone. Now this feature is not working anymore. (getting same ring tone from Codec Profile A regardless of outbound call #)

Earlier I used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure my ATA but after clicking on the "Revert to OBiTALK" button, all the configurations are now passed to device's interface (via IP address). Is there any way to revert the control back to Obitalk web portal ?

I'll troubleshoot again the for answering machine issues this weekend.

Thanks again for your time @Webslinger!
Jan 7, 2006
524 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote: Does the number appear differently in your ATA's call history (Status-->Call History)?
If the first call isn't being forwarded at all (again, check your ATA's call history), then you would need to see how the number appears in your ATA's call history and ensure that it's entered properly in your Telemarketer digitmap.
the spam 800 number doesn't show up on the ATA's call history, but is in the FPL call logs. The spammer called only once today and left the same vm, doesn't appear on the ATA history at all and on FPL it shows as below.... on a normal day, I get mutiple logs on FPL like this.

8003051214 MYNUMBER 0:51 Feb 11, 2018 11:12:00 AM Feb 12, 2018 11:12:00 AM Normal call clearing
8003051214 MYNUMBER 0:51 Feb 11, 2018 11:12:00 AM Feb 12, 2018 11:12:00 AM Call rejected

note no mention of MYNUMBER forwarding to another number.. where MYNUMBER is my actual phone number.
Webslinger wrote: Anyway, it's probably a robodialer calling you, and it may be calling you twice at the exact same time or shortly after the first call is in progress. The first call gets forwarded. The second incoming call should receive the message, "the user you are trying to reach is unavailable"--unless the second call is coming from Fibernetics (FPL or Fongo), which would be a SIP URI call. I doubt the incoming call is from a Fibernetics number because FPL and Fongo don't issue 800 numbers. That second call, if it's a SIP URI incoming call (FPL doesn't accept incoming SIP URI calls unless they're from FPL or Fongo numbers), might drop to FPL's voicemail system. You can check to see what's going on with respect to incoming calls by checking FPL's call logs after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs.
I pasted the call log above if that helps

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can block this number out completely.
Last edited by Kevin711 on Feb 13th, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
boon1 wrote:
I've followed all the instructions but still the answering machine is not recording any messages.
I doubt I'm going to be able to solve this problem for you because I don't have your answering machine to test.

1) Is the issue that the answering machine isn't picking up/answering the incoming call?

2) Is the ring pattern being used for the auto-attendant different than when others call you? If not, I have no clue at all what your problem is.
If the ring pattern is exactly the same, then sorry, I have no clue what's going on. Your answering machine should respond in exactly the same manner to the exact
same ring pattern.

Another thing I notice was that for any calls coming from overseas, I set it to use Codec Profile B with different ring tone. Now this feature is not working anymore. (getting same ring tone from Codec Profile A regardless of outbound call #)
a) Codec profiles have nothing to do with incoming ring patterns

b) You can change the ATA's ring patterns per Service Provider (FPL is a service provider), but you can't change them per inbound caller ID (number) or even for incoming long distance calls.

The associated settings for ring patterns are found under Voice Services-->SP (pay attention to what you're using for FPL) Service--->X_RingProfile

You would choose Ring Profile A or B.
That corresponds with Ring Settings-->Ring Profile A or Ring Profile B.

The incoming ring pattern is defined by Voice Services-->SP (pay attention to what you're using for FPL) Service--->X_DefaultRing

Earlier I used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure my ATA but after clicking on the "Revert to OBiTALK" button, all the configurations are now passed to device's interface (via IP address).
I suggest visiting http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 29#msg2629 to understand what that setting does.
"When this option is selected every parameter will follow what is currently stored in the device’s OBiTALK database configuration." (That is, every parameter will follow what you have stored in Obitalk.com's database configuration).
Is there any way to revert the control back to Obitalk web portal ?
I strongly encourage you to never use Obitalk.com unless you require
a) OBi to OBi device dialing,
b) Google Voice provisioning,
or
c) the capacity to remotely configure your ATA

Regardless, if you want to use Obitalk.com, you need to do the opposite of what's listed on pages 7 and 8 (especially page 8) of the PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839

or

newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p28508704 (do the opposite of steps 1 to 3).

But again, I feel using Obitalk.com is not a good idea.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 13th, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: the spam 800 number doesn't show up on the ATA's call history, but is in the FPL call logs.
I don't think the following applies to your situation, but just so that we both understand (typing this helps to jog my memory, sometimes) . . .

The call has to reach the ATA in order for the call to bridged by ATA to another destination.
That is, the call has to reach the ATA in order for it to be processed by the ATA.

By the way, with Freephoneline, Follow Me in your Freephoneline web portal must be disabled (unless you route MTelemarketers somewhere where the call is picked up immediately) for call blocking via your Obihai ATA to work. Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings, and check your Follow Me settings.

And X_Use302ToCallForward under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP should be disabled, if the call is being forwarded.

If the incoming call doesn't reach the ATA at all, you need to start asking yourself why. Some possible reasons for your ATA not ringing for incoming calls include FPL not being registered properly in your ATA (refer to page 47) or your ATA being offline. Also refer to pages 42 to 44 in the PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805

But again, I don't think what I just typed is happening or applies to you in this scenario.

8003051214 MYNUMBER 0:51 Feb 12, 2018 11:01:28 AM Feb 12, 2018 11:02:19 AM Call rejected
I think the call is being rejected by the ATA here despite the call not appearing in your ATA's call log. And then I think the call drops directly to FPL's voicemail system:
8003051214 MYNUMBER 0:51 Feb 12, 2018 11:01:28 AM Feb 12, 2018 11:02:19 AM Normal call clearing
I think this is when the voicemail message is left.

If your X_Inboundcallroute contains {(8003051214):} or {(MTelemarketers):} then the incoming call will be dropped directly to FPL's voicemail system.
But I would expect FPL's call log to indicate "Temporary failure" and not "Call rejected".
Somehow, I think your ATA is triggering "call rejected" in FPL's call log, but the result is the same: the incoming call gets dropped to FPL's voicemail system.

Your X_Inboundcallroute should contain {(MTelemarketers):sp1(6471234567)}
where 6471234567 is the number you want to bridge the incoming call.

Label: Telemarketers
Digitmap: (18502889358|8003051214|8332680996)

You might want to check your syntax.

Anyway, I think the key to figuring out this problem is what causes the "call rejected" status to appear in FPL's call log.
I'm not sure what condition causes "call rejected" to appear, and I think that's an important piece of information that would help.

note no mention of MYNUMBER forwarding to another number
The FPL call log, if the ATA is bridging the call (sending it elsewhere), would indicate

MYNUMBER OTHERDESTINATION time time normal call clearing

Please copy and paste your X_Inboundcallroute for FPL and what you have entered for the Telemarketers Digitmap here.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 13th, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mar 14, 2009
242 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
1) Is the issue that the answering machine isn't picking up/answering the incoming call?
The answering machine is picking up incoming calls but failed to record any messages. only beeping sounds are recorded.
a) Codec profiles have nothing to do with incoming ring patterns
Sorry for the confusion. I meant for my SP1 Service, I've selected RingProfile/CodecProfile = A and for my SP2 Service, I've selected RingProfile/CodecProfile = B. The ring tone will differentiate for which number is being called.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:Or are you hearing beeping on the recorded message?
boon1 wrote:
No, there are no beeping sound on the recording message.
You said there are no beeping sounds.

boon1 wrote: only beeping sounds are recorded
Now you say there are beeping sounds.

Disappointed Face

Anyway, I posted the instructions on the bottom half of this post here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... #p28930517
You need to change T38Reinvite to "callee only"

I meant for my SP1 Service, I've selected RingProfile/CodecProfile = A and for my SP2 Service, I've selected RingProfile/CodecProfile = B. The ring tone will differentiate for which number is being called.

Yes, but the Codec Profile used has nothing to do with ring patterns. The Ring Profile does. Codec and Ring Profiles are separate and have nothing to do with each other. X_DefaultRing is based on the Ring Profile you've chosen.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 13th, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 29, 2016
240 posts
41 upvotes
Mississauga
briandesousa wrote: I have been using this service for 3-4 years and I couldn't be happier. Very few outages over the years and if there is an outtage calls get redirected to my cellphone. Audio is always clear. This service is a great free replacement for a home phone line especially if you don't use your home phone much anyways. Best decision I made to do away with Rogers home phone and switch to FreePhoneLine.ca!
Hi Brian and other RFDers,

Pardon my ignorance: I registered with FPL and got a number registered. What now? Do I need to download their desktop app or can I use it on my smartphone? Can I buy an external device and register the number on that device so that this number works as my landline? How can I check the call forwarding options? Sorry but I am kind of new to this forum and still seeking help.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
rohan1985 wrote: Hi Brian and other RFDers,

Pardon my ignorance: I registered with FPL and got a number registered. What now? Do I need to download their desktop app
If you want to use FPL on your computer with a mic using FPL's desktop app, then yes. The desktop app is free to use.

or can I use it on my smartphone
That would be essentially the same service as Fongo Mobile, in that case. Fongo Mobile is a smartphone app. Fongo and Freephoneline are sister companies owned by Fibernetics, which is the largest privately held CLEC in Canada. Fongo Mobile supports SMS. Freephoneline doesn't.

Freephoneline is intended predominately for use as a home phone service. Cost is $79.95+tax (for as long as you use FPL) + an ATA or IP phone. If you want to use FPL with a SIP smartphone app, you would have to pay $79.95+tax for the VoIP unlock key. If you want to port into the FPL, that costs an additional $25+tax. Each 911 call is $35.

I would suggest starting by reading through the first two pages of the thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg-o ... x-2145415/.

Can I buy an external device and register the number on that device so that this number works as my landline?
Yes. Start by reading the first two pages on this thread: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/
How can I check the call forwarding options?
Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings.

Also, click https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Follow-Me-
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 14th, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 7, 2006
524 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Anyway, I think the key to figuring out this problem is what causes the "call rejected" status to appear in FPL's call log.
I'm not sure what condition causes "call rejected" to appear, and I think that's an important piece of information that would help.
so I looked over all the syntax, digitmaps etc, reviewed pretty much all settings related for forwarding, telemarketer lists. Then I thought to look at the XML backup file since it's easier to search instead of looking through a bunch of menus and scrolling forever.

Sure enough, I put ithat 800 # under Voice Services/SP1 Service/Calling Features/X_BlockedCallers. I put it there long time ago and forgot, and never scrolled that far down when troubleshooting.

Thanks for the tips and guidance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote:
Sure enough, I put that 800 # under Voice Services/SP1 Service/Calling Features/X_BlockedCallers.
Ohhhh, okay. That's effectively the same as using {(8003051214):} or {(MTelemarketers):} in X_Inboundcallroute. The incoming call would drop straight to FPL's voicemail.
Interesting that FPL's call log says "call rejected" instead of "temporary failure" though. Different SIP response code. I'll try to remember that in the future.
Mar 14, 2009
242 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Anyway, I posted the instructions on the bottom half of this post here: freepho ... #p28930517
You need to change T38Reinvite to "callee only"
Hi @Webslinger,

I re-do the followings again
1. Navigate to Codecs-->Codec Profile (B Only)-->Codec Settings (I'm ok with it without updating Profile A. As long as it works)
4. Unplugged the ATA and waited for 30 seconds and plug it back (no particular reason to explained these step but somehow it works!)
Yes, but the Codec Profile used has nothing to do with ring patterns. The Ring Profile does. Codec and Ring Profiles are separate and have nothing to do with each other. X_DefaultRing is based on the Ring Profile you've chosen.
For this part, I'm so sorry. It was my mistakes :facepalm: I called the SP1 number all these time instead SP2 number. It's all good now.

All these happens all the sudden without warning as I did not make any changes to the Obi200 (except for updating the spam numbers)

Anyway, thank you for all your time and hope this will help others if they face the same issues as mine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
boon1 wrote: 1. Navigate to Codecs-->Codec Profile (B Only)-->Codec Settings (I'm ok with it without updating Profile A. As long as it works)
The Codec Profile required depends on the Codec Profile chosen for the specific SP being used: SP1, SP2, etc.

Navigate to
Voice Services-->SP (pay attention to the specific SP #) Service--->X_CodecProfile

If T38Enable is enabled, change T38Reinvite to "callee only"
That fixes the beeping problem, due to a bug in Obihai firmware, which may be corrected in a future firmware update.

All these happens all the sudden without warning
Possibly Obihai updated firmware without your permission. I don’t know whether the beeping problem always occurred in older firmware with T.38 enabled, but it does with newer firmware. If you don’t want Obihai updating firmware without your permission, you need to do steps 1 to 3 here and, in turn, stop using Obitalk.com: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508704.

You also stated you reverted to Obitalk database settings, which would have changed your existing settings in the ATA.

Audio codecs affect voice quality and the amount of bandwidth used: visit https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Codecs. With FPL, it’s best to use G.711u as your first preference. Codecs have nothing to do with incoming ring patterns. The T.38 fax protocol settings are found in the codec profiles but not ring patterns.

If you want a different incoming ring pattern, choose a different X_DefaultRing for each SP.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1165 posts
50 upvotes
Hello

I've been using freephoneline.ca with an OBi200 for two years now ithout issues.

Within the last few weeks everytime my Panasonic phone picks up to take a message all it records is a beeping sound.

Now I read the last few posts and it seems like others have had the same issue.

Someone posted this as a solution:

I re-do the followings again
1. Navigate to Codecs-->Codec Profile (B Only)-->Codec Settings (I'm ok with it without updating Profile A. As long as it works)
4. Unplugged the ATA and waited for 30 seconds and plug it back (no particular reason to explained these step but somehow it works!)

step 1 says to navigate to Codecs

Where is that? Is that at www.obitalk.com/ ?

Any help would be appraciated.

Thank you