Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Camilo wrote: Just to update everyone, my porting from Vbuzzer was completed today.

I got home, made the needed changes to the 2nd line of my SPA 2102 device and started using freephoneline right away.

Very easy with the info webslinger provided.

Crossing my fingers now that this company stays around for at least another year to make my investment (113.00 to get the config file and port my line to them) worth it.

I know they have been around for a while, so I think I'll be fine.

Thanks...
You're very welcome!
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Oct 22, 2006
620 posts
270 upvotes
OBI110 related, but not for free Phone Line rather VOIP.MS

How do i setup SIP calling with VOIP.ms. I was trying to setup with VG3, but that doesn't work. Does it need to be SP1 or SP2 ? Currently have Free Phone Line on SP1 and Google Voice on SP2.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
warhawk wrote: OBI110 related, but not for free Phone Line rather VOIP.MS

How do i setup SIP calling with VOIP.ms. I was trying to setup with VG3, but that doesn't work. Does it need to be SP1 or SP2 ? Currently have Free Phone Line on SP1 and Google Voice on SP2.
SP1. Has to be SIP. GV is XMPP.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508714 (just substitute SP2 with SP1, for you)
Please either followup in that thread or in the Computer forum.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2062 posts
437 upvotes
Scarborough
Has anyone else been having issues with free phone line today? Calls are going straight to voicemail. Outgoing calls are saying insufficient balance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
xt21 wrote: Has anyone else been having issues with free phone line today?
No. Incoming and outgoing calls work fine:
http://status.fongo.com/

The last time there was an outage was on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 between 12:30 p.m. EST and about 3 p.m. EST.
There have been no outages since.

If you can provide brand and models of your modem, router, and ATA or IP Phone in addition to the registration status of FPL shown in the ATA or IP Phone that you're using, someone may be able to assist you.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Apr 25th, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2719 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
xt21 wrote: Has anyone else been having issues with free phone line today? Calls are going straight to voicemail. Outgoing calls are saying insufficient balance.
No issue here.
Feb 10, 2008
203 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
xt21 wrote: Has anyone else been having issues with free phone line today? Calls are going straight to voicemail. Outgoing calls are saying insufficient balance.
I do. I think the phone was out all day yesterday. I'm trying to fix it now. Don't know what's wrong because it's never been down like this. When I try to call the phone number it just says unavailable and my ATA adapter doesn't seem to be connecting the internet, even though I can get into the settings menu on my network .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
iamsamsamiam wrote: I do. I think the phone was out all day yesterday. I'm trying to fix it now. Don't know what's wrong because it's never been down like this. When I try to call the phone number it just says unavailable and my ATA adapter doesn't seem to be connecting the internet, even though I can get into the settings menu on my network .
FPL is up and working fine: http://status.fongo.com.

If you can provide brand and models of your modem, router, and ATA or IP Phone in addition to the registration status of FPL shown in the ATA or IP Phone that you're using, someone may be able to assist you.

Are Freephoneline’s SIP servers down? My ATA isn’t registered.

(for Obihai ATA/IP Phone users--but this information also applies, generally, to all users)

A. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check server status.

B. If the service status website doesn’t note any issues, then chances are the problem is on your end. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (depending on which you use), navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service-->X_UserAgentPort. X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use Obitalk.com). For SPA (linksys/Cisco) users, change your Local SIP Port to a random number between 30000 and 60000.

If changing X_UserAgentPort (or Local SIP Port) works, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

Possibly a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. And, then, the ATA keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. (Credit goes to Mango for this information). Possibly, this problem is due to the router's UDP timeout being in excess of the ATA's Failure Retry timer (RegisterRetryInterval with Obihai ATAs). With FPL, that's 120 seconds.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_KeepaliveExpires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

C. Double check your Registration timers (refer to page 21 in my PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805). For RegistrationPeriod use 3600 (1hr), and
RegisterRetryInterval should be 120 seconds. If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer (refer to pages 14, 20, and 21) to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers. If you followed my OBi20x PDF guide properly, chances are you haven’t been temporarily IP banned and should skip ahead to step D. For others, you'd better double check your registration timers: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials.

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

D. Please note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite the ATA's registration status) and incoming calls will not work on it. Registration is required for incoming calls but not for outgoing calls. In other words, people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps or computer desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs or IP Phones are out of luck for incoming calls.

E. You can also try rebooting your modem–>router (wait for it to be fully up and transmitting data)–>ATA (in that order).
Feb 10, 2008
203 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote: FPL is up and working fine: http://status.fongo.com.

I have an old Grandstream HT287 Rev4.1 and when I go to the FPL website, it says I'm registered but it says "no" on the ATA's settings page. I have a Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 gigabit modem and I run a to an old WRT54 I set as a wireless repeater. I can access the settings menu for wireless repeater that the ATA modem is plugged into so I know that's still working as well as the ATA modem's settings.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
iamsamsamiam wrote: I have an old Grandstream HT287 Rev4.1
Ensure that "use random port" is enabled under Advanced settings.

Registration Expiration should be 3600 seconds.

I don't know if these settings are available to you in your ATA (I don't have your ATA for reference nor an emulator), but if they are, this is what they should be (I'm referring to newer Grandstream ATA models):

SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 120 seconds (if two of these SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait time settings are available, 120 seconds usually applies to the first one)
Reregister before Expiration should be 0
Enable SIP Options Keep Alive: Yes
SIP OPTIONS Keep Alive Interval: 20
Use Random SIP Port: Yes
Use Random RTP Port: Yes
SIP REGISTER Contact Header Use: WAN Address

If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. Check your registration timers: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers.

"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

If you discover that you've been temporarily IP banned by the Primary SIP Server you're using, you can try changing it to something else: voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.

If the ATA is experiencing a DNS issue, you can try specifying a server IP instead:

voip.freephoneline.ca is 208.65.240.44
voip2.freephoneline.ca is 162.213.111.22
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is 162.213.111.21:6060
If FPL ever changes the IP address for those servers, then you would need to update the IP address yourself again in the ATA, accordingly.

and when I go to the FPL website, it says I'm registered
Hopefully, to your ATA--and not to a device you don't recognize, correct? If it's registered to something you don't recognize at all, someone else is using your FPL account.

Please note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. In other words, people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps or computer desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck, specifically, for incoming calls. Registration always matters for incoming calls.
If you have "allow outgoing call without registration" set to "no" in your ATA, then registration also matters for outgoing calls.

but it says "no" on the ATA's settings page.
Your ATA is likely correct. The registration period is 1 hr. Registration status doesn't typically update in your FPL web account portal until after that 3600s interval is over--or until another device registers.
I have a Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 gigabit modem
Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
Select the “Basic” tab, and disable “SIP ALG.” Click the “save changes” button.
https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg/ (SIP ALG is faulty in many routers, including Hitron gateways, which is one reason why FPL introduced voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060).
to an old WRT54 I set as a wireless repeater.
Please ensure that it's properly connecting to the CODA-4582. You can also test by connecting the ATA directly to the CODA-4582.

Afterwards, reboot CODA-4582 (wait for it to be fully up and running)--->WRT54 (wait for it to be fully up and running, and passing data, first)-->ATA in that order
Proper device reboot order is always modem, then router, and finally ATA (but only after the first two are fully up and running).
Feb 10, 2008
203 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote: Ensure that "use random port" is enabled under Advanced settings.

Registration Expiration should be 3600 seconds.

I don't know if these settings are available to you in your ATA (I don't have your ATA for reference nor an emulator), but if they are, this is what they should be (I'm referring to newer Grandstream ATA models):

SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 120 seconds (if two of these SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait time settings are available, 120 seconds usually applies to the first one)
Reregister before Expiration should be 0
Enable SIP Options Keep Alive: Yes
SIP OPTIONS Keep Alive Interval: 20
Use Random SIP Port: Yes
Use Random RTP Port: Yes
SIP REGISTER Contact Header Use: WAN Address

If your ATA makes more than 5 registration attempts in 5 minutes, you may end up being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to. Check your registration timers: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials. If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching ProxyServer to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060), unless you need to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 because you have SIP ALG forced on in your router. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent faulty SIP ALG features in routers.

If you discover that you've been temporarily IP banned by the Primary SIP Server you're using, you can try changing it to something else: voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060.

If the ATA is experiencing a DNS issue, you can try specifying a server IP instead:

voip.freephoneline.ca is 208.65.240.44
voip2.freephoneline.ca is 162.213.111.22
voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is 162.213.111.21:6060
If FPL ever changes the IP address for those servers, then you would need to update the IP address yourself again in the ATA, accordingly.

Hopefully, to your ATA--and not to a device you don't recognize, correct? If it's registered to something you don't recognize at all, someone else is using your FPL account.

Please note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. In other words, people sharing their FPL accounts or otherwise trying to register their FPL accounts with smartphone SIP apps or computer desktop apps while simultaneously using the same FPL account on their ATAs are out of luck, specifically, for incoming calls. Registration always matters for incoming calls.
If you have "allow outgoing call without registration" set to "no" in your ATA, then registration also matters for outgoing calls.

Your ATA is likely correct. The registration period is 1 hr. Registration status doesn't typically update in your FPL web account portal until after that 3600s interval is over--or until another device registers.

Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg/ (SIP ALG is faulty in many routers, including Hitron gateways, which is one reason why FPL introduced voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060).

Please ensure that it's properly connecting to the CODA-4582. You can also test by connecting the ATA directly to the CODA-4582.

Afterwards, reboot CODA-4582 (wait for it to be fully up and running)--->WRT54 (wait for it to be fully up and running, and passing data, first)-->ATA in that order
Proper device reboot order is always modem, then router, and finally ATA (but only after the first two are fully up and running).
Thanks for taking the time to give me a few pointers. I have tried plugging the ATA directly into my router. The only real proprietary setting I have is that the ATA has a static IP which hasn't changed for years. I disabled the static settings and have it working when it's plugged directly into my modem or a switch connected to the modem. But it won't work with those settings on my repeater bridge and I can't access the settings menu without a static IP. It's probably a home networking problem that I have to solve. Thanks for looking at this for me.

I might have to do a home networking overhaul to get my ATA working with my setup again. Thanks again.

Edit: I gutted the whole pretense of trying to access the ATA modem over network. It works on auto DHCP, but I now I lose the control I once had. I don't know if it's the hardware now because I tested it with a static IP connected to my router and it flat out would not work with a static IP, same subnet, and router IP. I just dropped the static IP thing and let it run wild on auto on my repeater bridge, I know I lose the ability to service the device remotely but realistically I haven't had any real issues until now so I'm letting it go.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
iamsamsamiam wrote:
Edit: I gutted the whole pretense of trying to access the ATA modem over network. It works on auto DHCP, but I now I lose the control I once had. I don't know if it's the hardware now because I tested it with a static IP connected to my router and it flat out would not work with a static IP, same subnet, and router IP. I just dropped the static IP thing and let it run wild on auto on my repeater bridge, I know I lose the ability to service the device remotely but realistically I haven't had any real issues until now so I'm letting it go.
Okay. I would still disable SIP ALG in your CODA-4582, regardless.
If it's at default settings (not bridge mode), then the default IP for it is 192.168.0.1.
Default username is cusadmin.

192.168.0.1 becomes your gateway IP for both the ATA and the WRT54. Default subnet is 255.255.255.0.
LAN IPs are still assigned by the CODA-4582 DHCP server between the default IP range of 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.200.
Assign a static IP to the repeater. Try 192.168.0.75. Subnet is 255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the CODA-4582 LAN IP).

For the ATA, you could assign a static IP of, say, 192.168.0.100. Use the same subnet of 255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.0.1 (the CODA-4582 LAN IP).
For DNS, I find it's typically faster to use the ones assigned by your ISP, but you could try Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
https://use.opendns.com/
Or pick your favourite DNS service.

Afterwards, reboot CODA-4582-->WRT54-->ATA in that order.
Always wait for the first device (modem/router combo) to be fully up and running before rebooting the second device (router/repeater), which in turn, should be fully up and running before rebooting the ATA.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Apr 17, 2004
323 posts
139 upvotes
I have been using this service for over 9 years and rely heavily as my primary home phone. I sometime wonder what should be my options if the company suddenly decides to cancel the service, or worst, go bankrupt? How will I port my number elsewhere in this scenario? I fear that I may loose my phone number for ever!

Has any one successfully ported number from Fongo to other carriers? What does the process involve?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
imran909 wrote: I have been using this service for over 9 years and rely heavily as my primary home phone. I sometime wonder what should be my options if the company suddenly decides to cancel the service, or worst, go bankrupt? How will I port my number elsewhere in this scenario? I fear that I may loose my phone number for ever!

I've heard scary stuff about Nettalk possibly going bankrupt and people potentially losing their phone numbers until Primus, which appears to be getting taken over, in part, by Birch, obtained Nettalk customers' phone numbers again. What happens if Freephoneline, Fongo, and Ooma go bankrupt? Will I lose my phone number?

Fibernetics, which owns/operates Freephoneline and Fongo, is the largest privately held competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in Canada, and FPL/Fongo generates revenue from incoming phone calls or termination fees to its network in addition to the fees paid by its customers. The more phone calls made to their network, the more money they make. Fongo and Freephonline are treated as being separate entities by Fibernetics (it costs money to port phone numbers between FPL and Fongo). So, FPL and Fongo are considered to be sister companies, despite offering similar services.

Fibernetics also operates/owns Nucleus Information Service, Worldline.ca, 1011295.com, 295.ca, Vonix, NEWT, etc.

In the event that Freephoneline were, for some unlikely reason, to suddenly shut down, you would still be able to port out before then:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16964
"This isn't something you have to worry about. Hypothetically speaking though, if something were to happen, arrangements would be made for users to be able port their numbers out, or stay with whichever company were to take over operations of FPL [or Fongo]. The bottom line is, you would not simply lose your number."--Fongo_Jeff

Nettalk's situation can't happen with FPL or Fongo. Fongo is owned by Fibernetics, which is a CLEC. Fibernetics has FPL's DIDs/phone numbers. If FPL doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers. If Fibernetics doesn't pay its bills, Fibernetics still has FPL's phone numbers/DIDs until another company takes over. And FPL's customers will be able to port out before then or choose to stay with the company that takes over. Moreover, FPL, Fongo, and Fibernetics are registered with CCTS: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers. If there's an issue, you can file a complaint with CCTS, and CCTS will act as an intermediary to help negotiate a resolution for you.

Nettalk is not a CLEC. Nettalk was using Irisitel for its phone numbers/DIDs.
Fongo is young
Fibernetics was founded in 1997.
how sure we are they will be there in 5 year?
No one has a crystal ball. But I'd say Fibernetic's chances are better than Nettalk's.

What happens if Ooma goes under?

Well, unless you can figure out how to unlock the device, you're going to be stuck with a proprietary brick.
You should also check to see if Ooma is listed here (they were at one time):
https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers

How can I tell which carrier or CLEC has my phone number?

Enter your phone number here: https://www.textmagic.com/free-tools/carrier-lookup
Possibly a better option is paying 1USD for an account with https://whocalld.com/. I'd say $1 USD is worth the price of admission.

imran909 wrote:Has any one successfully ported number from Fongo to other carriers? What does the process involve?
Yes
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... er-carrier
Your VoIP unlock key, by default, will cease working when porting is completed.
May 31, 2016
128 posts
30 upvotes
Looking for a bit of technical help with my Obi200 please. I did post this over at the obitalk forums, but thought I'd post it here since this is where helped me get set up (thanks all!!) :-)

I've setup 3 sp's on my Obi200:
- Freephoneline (Canada): SP1
- Google Voice: SP2
- Sipgate Basic (UK number): SP3

What I'd like to do is ultimately forward all unanswered/unavailable calls to my Canadian cell number. So in other words, if it rings out, or the line is busy, (or even if my internet went out, but don't think that's possible) or whatever, I'd like it to forward to my cell phone. I gather that would need to happen before any of the lines would pick up on voicemail.

I believe that is possible, but perhaps not for Google voice. Can anyone confirm? Or is that just linking a Canadian number to GV that's impossible, but I could still use call forwarding from my obi?

The additional requirement is that I'd like to make sure that all forward is done either via SP1 or SP2. (That's on the assumption that the Obi uses one of the SP's to actually forward?) The reason being that my UK number is only being used for incoming calls and therefore I don't want to rack up any bills by forwarding using that number, but rather via freephoneline or GV as they're free. The obvious choice would be freephoneline.

If it is possible for some, or all, of the lines, I'm hoping someone can talk me through how to do it. I have had a look around, but am not entirely clear yet. To confirm, I'm not using the obitalk portal, but rather logging into the device via the IP address. GV was set up via the portal initially, but then I switched to logging in directly and have disabled auto provisioning.

Hopefully what I'm asking is possible, and makes sense. Like I said, I'm very new to this, so am just learning.

Graham.