Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
iconicrocket1 wrote: Hi,

I have the Obi202, and recently did a port over of my local number, but I can only make outbound calls to the phone, which works perfectly.

But when I tried to call into my local number I can connect, but no sounds comes thru.
Your SIP Username changes after you port and, in turn, AuthUserName needs to be updated in your ATA accordingly.
In your ATA or using Obitalk.com Expert settings, whichever method you use (don't use both), navigate to Voice Services > SP(FPL) Service >SIP Credentials > AuthUserName.
You can find your SIP username after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.

What brand and model router are you using?

Use this PDF guide to properly setup FPL first: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.
Then follow pages 42 to 44 if the problem persists.

Please note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings (or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device). Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. If you simply want to make outgoing calls using your FPL number, configure, but don't register the account, on the SIP app being used. This is also important to consider if you're using Freephoneline's desktop application (don't have it running while using your ATA with the same FPL account).

If it’s a porting issue, it may take up to 24 hrs to resolve.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Aug 27th, 2018 6:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3244 posts
681 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: There's no way to schedule a reboot of an Obihai ATA in the ATA itself. You can log into the ATA and select reboot, manually. Off the top of my head, you could use an electric timer that plugs in an electric socket to power on and power off the device (that may cause damage depending on the quality of the device being used), but I would rather address the problem that requires you to reboot instead.

I would suggest using a setup where you never have to reboot to fix anything (I no longer do; if I'm dealing with a registration issue, FPL will register after 2 minutes by itself).

I know this is a different ATA, but many settings are still similar and apply to yours:
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839

In particular, look at #6 on page 3 of the PDF guide.
There's a related topic on pages 47 and 48 (Points B,C, and D).
Unfortunately, my time online is sporadic due to issues that are out of my control, but hopefully that gives you a starting point.
Your device won't register with FPL unless you have a connection between your site and their server - FPL accepts registrations and doesn't initiate them. What could be happening is that the NAT assignment in your router is timing out, though that would only affect incoming calls and you would still be able call out. I have hard coded the port forwards in mine just in case.

A timer set to cycle power by switching off for 2 minutes and then back on again usually works just fine to reset the device.

I have a number of unattended client sites with DSL modems that seem to not like whatever hardware Bell has connected as DSLAMs and they would disconnect every few days requiring site visits. Changing to different brands of modems wasn't helping. So I purchased small $16 electronic timers from Canadian Tire and plugged the router and modem at each site into it - problem solved - it has been about 15 months.

I see no reason whatsoever why this solution wouldn't work for a recalcitrant setup - if resetting the ATA re-establishes the connection then I say go for it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: Your device won't register with FPL unless you have a connection between your site and their server - FPL accepts registrations and doesn't initiate them.
There are plenty of cases where an ATA won’t register if a NAT router connection was never disconnected or never timed out properly. The ATA then keeps the corrupted connection in a persistent state over and over again. Registration is, of course, required for incoming calls.

For Obihai ATAs, X_UserAgentPort (same as local SIP port) should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000 for security reasons. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use Obitalk.com). If changing X_UserAgentPort fixes a persistent failed registration state, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.
BobSagget wrote:According to the FPL call logs, a couple calls came in from yesterday to this morning that never connected because of this.
Registration is required for incoming calls. Because the registration interval with FPL is so long (3600s or 1 hour), it’s
not always safe to trust FPL registration status information, which is not updated frequently--and may not show the real current status until another registration attempt occurs. That is, you may not be registered with FPL despite the ATA or FPL’s online portal indicating that you are. But checking registration status should always be a starting point.

X_UserAgentPort (same as local SIP port) should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000 for security reasons. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router. Just pick a port number in that range. Change to a new port number in that range. Click the “submit” button, and reboot the ATA. (If you use Obitalk.com to change settings, you will need to use Obitalk.com). If changing X_UserAgentPort fixes a persistent failed registration state, you were dealing with a corrupted NAT connection in your router.

Also, thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, Asus routers are not a bad idea for residential SIP services. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout. I do not have to reboot anything for FPL.
fredsmith wrote:What could be happening is that the NAT assignment in your router is timing out, though that would only affect incoming calls and you would still be able call out. I have hard coded the port forwards in mine just in case.
If a (UDP) NAT association is corrupted or suddenly blocked that can also affect outgoing calls, depending on the affected UDP port. UPnP is a complete mess with some router firmware versions, and like port forwarding, also a security risk.

Anyway, BobSagget mentioned incoming calls.

Port forwarding is a security risk and should only be done as a last resort. I do not need to port forward or use UPnP for any of my SIP services. I also never lose registration or experience issues—unless internet service drops (or unless there’s a problem with the service provider, which is rare). When internet service returns, my devices reconnect automatically (with FPL, after 120 seconds) and everything works perfectly fine. Also, for those using my PDF guide, when registration fails with one FPL proxy server, the Obihai ATA then attempts to register with another FPL proxy server at the next failed registration attempt interval.
fredsmith wrote: I have a number of unattended client sites with DSL modems that seem to not like whatever hardware Bell has connected as DSLAMs and they would disconnect every few days requiring site visits. Changing to different brands of modems wasn't helping.
I would find that incredibly frustrating, and Bell should be held responsible for ensuring constant disconnections don’t occur. But if that is the cause, and if the user is tied into a single ISP that won’t accept responsibility for disconnects, a timer may make sense for the modem if it doesn’t reconnect automatically.

A good, properly configured router for SIP services and, in turn, a properly configured ATA shouldn't require regular rebooting.

----

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/freepho ... #p29299104

Typically, for VoIP SIP services, especially for freephoneline, you want

1) a router that does not have a full cone NAT,

Visit https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2 ... es-of-nat/.
Mango from the Obitalk.com forums writes,
“Use a restricted cone NAT router, and do not use port forwarding or DMZ. Restricted cone NAT will only permit
inbound traffic from the service provider you're registered to. If you have a full cone NAT router, it will allow traffic
from any source. This is probably not what you intend.
If you have a Windows computer, you can test your router using the utility here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22292023. To run it, use stun stun.ekiga.net from a command prompt.”
Essentially, you download the stun-test.zip file; extract the stun.exe file from within the zip file to an easily
accessible location; use an elevated command prompt (visit
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-ru ... inistrator); change directory (cd) to the
directory or location where you extracted stun.exe (visit
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command- ... c-commands); and type “stun stun.ekiga.net” without
the quotation marks followed by the enter/return button on your keyboard.
Asus routers, at the time of this writing, produce port restricted cone NAT routers, for example and are fine,
provided you’re using one with Asuswrt-Merlin, third party firmware installed: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about.

2) a router that lets you disable SIP ALG if it's buggy,

To understand why SIP ALG often causes horrible problems, please visit
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG (scroll down to the section on SIP ALG problems).

If you're dealing with a modem/router combo issued by an ISP or a router with SIP ALG forced on, you may have
to use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the Proxy Server. The purpose of voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is to circumvent
faulty SIP ALG features in routers.

3) a router that allows you to set QoS or assign highest priority to your ATA or IP Phone over all other devices on your LAN (local area network),

For a very general description of what QoS can do for you, visit https://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm.
The basic idea is if you're torrenting or have a bunch of other computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. downloading and uploading (hogging all your available bandwidth), you don't want
your ATA not to have access to enough bandwidth to make or receive calls properly. So QoS or a Bandwidth Monitor feature (which is just another form of QoS) is a really good idea for VoIP users.

I often get an occasional relative complaining to me, "Hey my calls sound choppy." And then when I go visit, some kids are playing MMOs on a computer, while another person is downloading a huge file,
and another person is backing up files to a cloud service all at the same time someone else is trying to talk on the phone. All those devices, without QoS enabled, are fighting over available bandwidth along with the ATA.

and 4) A router that lets you adjust both Unreplied and Assured UDP timeouts.

Thanks to Mango, many of us now understand that in order for ATAs to remain registered and working properly with a VoIP SIP provider like Freephoneline, in particular after power failures, the following conditions must be met:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < NAT Keep-alive Interval (in your ATA; for Obihai ATAs this is X_KeepAliveExpires) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time (or RegisterRetryInterval in Obihai ATAs)

“<“ means less than.

When a modem leases a new IP address, a problem can arise where prior associations using the old IP address are maintained in the router. When the ATA attempts to communicate using the old IP address, the response is unreplied, and then if the UDP Unreplied timeout is greater than the Keep Alive Interval (and UDP Unreplied timeout is often set to 30 by default in consumer routers) a problem arises where the corrupted connection persists. If UDP Unreplied timeout is, for example, 10, and the NAT Keep Alive Interval is 20, then the corrupted connection will timeout or close. A new connection will be created, and everything will work fine.

Another problem can occur when the Keep-Alive interval is greater than UDP Assured Timeout (often 180 by default in consumer routers): the NAT hole will close due to the ATA not communicating frequently enough with the SIP server. In turn, incoming calls may, intermittently, not reach the ATA. Again, X_Keepalives expires is supposed to be 20 with FPL.

Getting access to both UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings in consumer routers may be difficult, if not impossible. Asuswrt-Merlin (I would avoid any model below an RT-AC68U), third party firmware for Asus routers, does offer easy access to these two settings, which are found under General–>Tools-->Other settings. In part, for this reason, I tend to use Asus routers if forced to choose a consumer router. However, my understanding is that third party Tomato firmware has these two settings as well. So if your router supports Tomato firmware, that may be another option. Note that I will not be held accountable any damage resulting from failed firmware updates.

The keep alive interval for FPL is 20. The SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time is 120. I use 10 for UDP Unreplied Timeout and 117 for UDP Assured Timeout.

ISPs do not issue customers routers that can do all four things I just listed. Typically it's far better to have your own router with strong QoS functions and a restricted cone NAT firewall,
disable whatever SIP ALG feature is enabled in the router, and stick whatever modem/router combo your ISP gives you into bridge mode. For Bell Hubs, visit please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-y ... r-1993629/. For Rogers Hitron, visit https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... your-modem (CGN3 instructions also apply to CODA-4582).
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Sep 3rd, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Feb 16, 2018
102 posts
37 upvotes
Hi, I re set my Obi202 to factory settings as i forgot my admin password.

Now, with factory reset, default user name admin and password admin is not accepting. Is this device corrupted?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
everbird wrote: Hi, I re set my Obi202 to factory settings as i forgot my admin password.

Now, with factory reset, default user name admin and password admin is not accepting. Is this device corrupted?
After a factory reset, the capacity to access an OBi202 via its Internet (as opposed to its LAN) Port on the back of the device, in a web browser will be disabled by default.

Visit https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202 ... b-from-WAN

“Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi202
- Enter 30#
- Press 1 to Enter a New Value
- Press 1# to Enable
- Press 1 to Save “

Or refer to step 2 on page 11 of the PDF guide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

Enable WAN access. Now can you login?

Otherwise, this thread may apply: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10397.0

Also visit https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubl ... tory-Reset.

If all else fails, you can try contacting Obihai support if your ATA is still under warranty: https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/supportTicketForm. Note that (hardware failure) warranty claims require you to ship the ATA on your dime to Obihai in California, as far as I know.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18353 posts
26179 upvotes
ONTARIO
So I found a solution to rebooting on a schedule. All thanks goes to infin8loop from the obitalk forums.

He posted this script:

Code: Select all

strURL = "http://192.168.0.40/rebootgetconfig.htm"
''change 192.168.0.40 above to the local IP address of your Obi

strPassword = "obipassword"
''change obipassword above to the password of your local Obi page login

Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
objHTTP.open "POST", strURL, False, "admin", strPassword 
objHTTP.send
Set objHTTP = Nothing
Copy it all into a text file and save it with a .vbs extension (editing the URL and password to your own of course)
Then used Window's built in Task Scheduler to run this script on a schedule. Once the script is executed, the Obi device will perform a reboot.
Already tested it using my Obi device credentials and it works perfectly.

I set it up to run once a day at 4 AM.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: So I found a solution to rebooting on a schedule. All thanks goes to infin8loop from the obitalk forums.

He posted this script:

Code: Select all

strURL = "http://192.168.0.40/rebootgetconfig.htm"
''change 192.168.0.40 above to the local IP address of your Obi

strPassword = "obipassword"
''change obipassword above to the password of your local Obi page login

Set objHTTP = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
objHTTP.open "POST", strURL, False, "admin", strPassword 
objHTTP.send
Set objHTTP = Nothing
Copy it all into a text file and save it with a .vbs extension (editing the URL and password to your own of course)
Then used Window's built in Task Scheduler to run this script on a schedule. Once the script is executed, the Obi device will perform a reboot.
Already tested it using my Obi device credentials and it works perfectly.

I set it up to run once a day at 4 AM.
Oh, okay, that’s an interesting alternative using a windows box on your LAN. Glad you found a workaround.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Pretty big news . . .

That includes Freephoneline!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3244 posts
681 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: Oh, okay, that’s an interesting alternative using a windows box on your LAN. Glad you found a workaround.
Note that leaving a computer on solely to reboot an ATA will cost something on the order of $50/year or more (depends on where you live and how powerful the computer is) in electricity. On the other hand, if you run a server there is no measurable cost to run the daemon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
fredsmith wrote: Note that leaving a computer on solely to reboot an ATA will cost something on the order of $50/year or more (depends on where you live and how powerful the computer is) in electricity. On the other hand, if you run a server there is no measurable cost to run the daemon.
It’s trivial to schedule wake and sleep—or resume on alarm and shutdown. Regardless, the real solution is to use/configure a router and ATA/IP phone properly so that it never has to be rebooted to receive or make calls. Unfortunately when using a number of consumer routers that’s not possible.
Jul 13, 2006
817 posts
42 upvotes
Hi I moved to Australia for 6 months and I am planning to port my cell phone number to either Freephoneline.ca or Fongo Mobile.
  1. I am not a VOIP expert so is Fongo Mobile is better because you can call and text?
  2. Is the call quality in Fongo Mobile App better than the call quality in other SIP apps in AppStore or Google Play
  3. Does Freephoneline.ca support SMS service like Google Voice?
  4. What are the number port cost and the cost of voip unlock key for Fongo Mobile?
  5. Freephoneline.ca charges $50 for VOIP unlock key when you use the number automatically assigned by them
    However when I pay $25 and port in my number, freephoneline is asking $89.95 for the same VOIP unlock key?
    Why? Shouldn't it be the same $50?
  6. It terms of Number porting cost and voip unclock key cost, which it better.
  7. I am unable to download the Fongo Mobile iOs App from Australia, I believe because of country restriction.
    So is there a way to bypass the Apple Appstore country restriction?
    Is there a way to configure a Canadian Proxy Server in iPhone only to download the App
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
UTSC wrote: I am not a VOIP expert so is Fongo Mobile is better because you can call and text?
FPL does not support SMS (texting). If texting is important to you, then Fongo Mobile is better than FPL.

Is the call quality in Fongo Mobile App better than the call quality in other SIP apps in AppStore or Google Play
Call quality is dependent on the carrier(s) being used (which is often impossible for most customers to tell), the audio codec being used, pings (latency) to the servers being used, and jitter (variation between each successive ping, which in turn, relates to how choppy a call sounds) to the server being used.

Both FPL and Fongo Mobile support the G.711u audio codec (PCMU), and under ideal conditions (low pings and jitter), sound as good as a regular landline, at least, for local calls.

In answer to your question, no. All of the VoIP services that I use including Anveo Direct, VoIP.ms, Google Hangouts, etc., sound as good as a regular landline. One of the many carriers they use includes Fibernetics, which is FPL and Fongo's Mobile parent company. Fibernetics is the largest privately held CLEC in Canada; they are based in Waterloo, Ontario. My pings and jitter to all VoIP servers that I use are low.

Ping is a measurement of data packet transmission, and ping does affect delay or lag. All gamers know, almost inherently, that lag affects them negatively. A PC gamer will pound his or her keyboard in hope that a character will respond on his or her monitor, quickly, but when there's a delay or lag, reality doesn't meet expectation. A gamer can see this problem visually. Over VoIP, anything over 200-210 ms, you will typically start to encounter crosstalk due to increased delay, even if the untrained ear doesn't notice. All VoIP services are subject to the same scientific principles including the fact that speed of transmission affects delay, and both FPL and Fongo Mobile are not some magical services that are somehow exempt from issues arising from high pings and jitter. When pings (and especially) jitter are high, it's a pretty horrible experience, just as it would be with any other VoIP service. When pings and jitter are fine, so are FPL and Fongo Mobile.

It should also be noted that Fongo Mobile has been reported in the past to not work well with certain Android firmwares. Whether that's still the case, I'm not certain. iOS users typically report less issues. And people closer to Southern Ontario will also tend to have better experiences than those that are further away.

Anyone using any communication service (or even when playing online games or using other online services) should understand that the longer the path to the server being used, the greater the potential exists for a problem to occur somewhere along that path. FPL and Fongo Mobile's servers are located in Southern Ontario. I am uncertain that you will get low pings and low jitter from Australia to Southern Ontario. Frankly, no one can guarantee, responsibly, that you won't have problems. Just because someone else had no issues doesn't mean you'll be fine.

If you're interested in testing pings and jitter, visit https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508653.
Does Freephoneline.ca support SMS service like Google Voice?
No

What are the number port cost
$25+tax for either FPL or Fongo Mobile
and the cost of voip unlock key for Fongo Mobile?
There is no VoIP unlock key for Fongo Mobile. The Canadian Fongo Mobile app is free (you can pay to remove ads, and you have to pay to send SMS; receiving SMS is free), and its customers are forced to use the Fongo Mobile app, unlike FPL VoIP unlock key users, who can, for example, use their SIP credentials with third party SIP apps, such as Acrobits Groundwire.
Freephoneline.ca charges $50 for VOIP unlock key
No. FPL's VoIP unlock key costs $89.95+tax. The price has not been $50 for years.

The VoIP unlock key is mainly intended for use with an ATA or IP Phone. Freephoneline is intended as a home phone service. Although you can use Freephoneline's VoIP unlock key with a smartphone using a third party SIP app, FPL was never developed specifically for use with smartphones in mind, unlike Fongo Mobile.
I am unable to download the Fongo Mobile iOs App from Australia, I believe because of country restriction.
Outside of Canada, the app is called Fongo Mobile World Edition: https://www.fongo.com/world/. I have no experience using it.
I suggest if you have further questions regarding it to submit a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

I will not be helping people circumvent Geo-restrictions. Fongo Mobile is available in the Canadian Apple App store.

Only phone numbers that exist in these areas can be ported into Fongo or Freephoneline: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212436086.

If you happen to be looking into VoIP providers in Australia, this might be a decent starting point: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/voip_providers. I have no experience using most of those. So asking me about them won't be useful.
Jul 13, 2006
817 posts
42 upvotes
@Webslinger

Thank you Webslinger, I greatly value you time and advice, thank you very much.

I am planning to port my home number to FPL and mobile line to Fongo Mobile.

I posted the question as I was not sure of the voice quality of Fongo Mobile App. When I tested the FPL Mobile App 3 years ago the calI quality was very bad, calls dropped or it simply would not work 50% of the time.

I have been having a FPL line setup with OBi100 ATA since 2014 and the call quality is fantastic 99%. of the time. I can't thank FPL enough for saving me thousands of dollars.

I have a fantastic Australian mobile plan from Belong Mobile Australia where I get 15GB 4G network data and plus Unlimited national and international calls & SMS to most countries for $40. I think the Canadian Telcom minister to review their policies with respect to competition.

Thank you again for your detailed reply.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
UTSC wrote:
I am planning to port my home number to FPL and mobile line to Fongo Mobile.
I'm going to preface this by stating that I like Freephoneline, and use it at home. I'm not terribly convinced using FPL or Fongo Mobile, which are based in southern Ontario, from Australia is going to be the greatest idea. It may work reasonably well for you. It could also be a completely horrible experience.

The first step of using VoIP is to have reliable internet connectivity. Cellular data, universally, doesn't provide that stability. And Wi-Fi, at home, may be better for some, but it's still not as reliable as a wired Ethernet connection.

So, to me, someone asking me what cellular service to use for VoIP (and I'm starting to be asked this a fair amount in person) is like asking what's the best way to run across a partially frozen lake in the winter. Probably if I stay in certain areas, I'll be reasonably okay, but I'll never be close to being 100% secure. And then if the wind blows a little (or a lot if someone is actually using Wind . . . errr Freedom Mobile), or I accidentally end up in an area where the ice is weak, I'll fall through.

With Robellus (rogers, bell, telus), it's impossible to remain on LTE constantly while traveling on highways between towns in Ontario, for example.

Here are some basic concepts involving jitter and ping (I've written this before for general advice; I'm just copying and pasting my own writing) . . .

People should be testing their pings and jitter (you want little to no variation between pings) to the specific VoIP providers' SIP servers they plan on using before purchasing anything.

My pings to

a) voip.freephoneline.ca average 11 ms.
b) voip2.freephoneline.ca average 12 ms
c) voip4.freephoneline.ca average 27 ms

My pings to VoIP sip servers (FPL, Anveo, voip.ms and to ping.callcentric.com), are well below 50.

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable. You'll begin to encounter crosstalk, even if an untrained ear doesn't notice. So, if you're getting really high pings and jitter, I would try to do something else (choose a different service provider that's closer to me; enable QoS in my router if I'm on Wi-Fi or ethernet; ensure I'm in a good LTE area; etc.).

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation. If jitter is bad, calls will sound choppy. If jitter is horrible (huge ping spikes), calls can drop.

Ping affects latency or the delay from when you or others speak to the time the audio is heard on the other end of the call.

See here for how to test from a PC or MAC: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508653.

If you want to test from a smartphone, while on cellular data, you'll need to find an app that lets you test pings (and hopefully traceroutes as well).
I posted the question as I was not sure of the voice quality of Fongo Mobile App. When I tested the FPL Mobile App 3 years ago the calI quality was very bad, calls dropped or it simply would not work 50% of the time.
It's almost exactly the same as FPL. The only differences are that you're not using an ATA, a dedicated Ethernet connection, and the Fongo Mobile app itself. Fongo Mobile has been reported to not work well with certain Android firmwares but people on iOS tend to have better experiences using it. You will also not be close to southern Ontario when you're in Australia. If you're using Fongo Mobile over Wi-Fi on a home network, QoS should be enabled in your router for your smartphone as well.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508733
I have been having a FPL line setup with OBi100 ATA since 2014 and the call quality is fantastic 99%. of the time. I can't thank FPL enough for saving me thousands of dollars.
Yes, I honestly feel FPL is good value.
I have a fantastic Australian mobile plan from Belong Mobile Australia where I get 15GB 4G network data and plus
That doesn't necessarily imply any VoIP service, especially one whose servers are located in another country, is going to work well for you everywhere in Australia. Cellular data is flaky because cellular data signal level can be flaky depending on where you're standing, for starters. Anyway, good luck.
May 9, 2006
805 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
can someone help again please.
I have obi200, I accidently unplugged the power cable and then when I put it back in, I am not getting light for the phone. I get power and network light green but no light for phone, when I pick up the phone, I don't hear any tone.
I did factory reset many time with pin and removing and plugging the power cable at once. I notice that factory reset is not rebooting the device after its done. when I put in pin and plug, I see red light for around 10 seconds on power, then it flashes green slowly 6 six times then turn solid green, after 10 seconds network light turn green.

I check rogers modem portal and I don't see obi connection. I checked my SIP setting and its disabled.
only time I would see connection on the portal is when power light flashes red, this happens sometime.

can someone help me? what am I missing? I even deleted all my setting on obitalk portal thinking its a must for factory reset. still no luck