Computers & Electronics

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 10:58 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
phantomvs wrote: True ArrowFylnn @sfrancis was different but to refer back to your post in the status Fongo definitely issue with Videotron.
Thanks for confirming.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
@ArrowFlynn Thanks for detailed reply. Yes I used OBi202 and used web to config ATA. Will mention that in future. I was referring to your post a few pages back to @phantomvs but looks mine was a bit different.
On freephoneline SIP setting page mine says disconnected, guess due to wrong setting.
On OBitalk.com I checked settings under system providers ITSP Profile A SIP -- setting is exactly what you posted(3600/3600/120). Same under voice services SP1. So not sure what went wrong. Did i need to use a different voip server ?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
sfrancis wrote: On OBitalk.com I checked settings under system providers ITSP Profile A SIP -- setting is exactly what you posted(3600/3600/120). Same under voice services SP1.
1. Do step 8 from my response to you: "Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser. Login in to your ATA. Confirm the correct setting values (steps 1 to 6 above) exist in your ATA." The values that ultimately matter are the ones located in your ATA and not at Obitalk.com. If Obitalk.com didn't push those values to your ATA that would would explain the registration error message.

Registration and everything else that happens occurs in your ATA. Obitalk.com is just a website for pushing values to your ATA or for provisioning GV. Everything that happens (calls, registration, etc.) occurs directly in your ATA.

2. What is Obitalk Provisioning set to in your ATA? "Disabled" or "Periodically"? Refer to the pic.

If Obitalk Provisioning is disabled in your ATA, changes you made/make at Obitalk.com won't be pushed to your ATA.

If Obitalk Provisioning is disabled in your ATA, enter the values locally (via IP address in web browser) in your ATA at this point so that they correspond with what's entered in your Obitalk.com account. If you are prompted to reboot the ATA, after making changes, do so. Afterwards, you can re-enable Obitalk Provisioning ("periodically") if you wish.

It's always important if you use Obitalk.com to verify that settings changes you made have actually been pushed to (appear in) your ATA afterwards.

3. Do step 9 in my previous response: "Check registration status for FPL in the Obihai device (Navigate to Status-->System Status-->SP used for FPL Service Status-->Status)." What does SP1 service status show? Always check registration status in the ATA instead of at Obitalk.com if you can. What always matters is what's going in the ATA and not at Obitalk.com.

By the way, unless you need to remotely administer the ATA for someone or need to provision Google Voice, Obitalk.com, in my opinion, shouldn't be used. You're having to wait to have setting changes pushed to the ATA when you use Obitalk.com; you can't see ATA call history; and then there's potential privacy/security issues (I'm not saying they exist, but having SIP credentials stored online is a potential leak source) with respect to that website. In my opinion, it's better to manage your ATA locally, instead, if you can.
So not sure what went wrong.
"Register Failed: 488 registration expiry of 300 is invalid please use 3600 (server=208.65.240.44:506".
I believe you didn't copy and paste that line fully.

It should be "Register Failed: 488 registration expiry of 300 is invalid please use 3600 (server=208.65.240.44:5060)". Again, dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser. Login in to your ATA. Navigate to Status-->System Status-->SP used for FPL Service Status-->Status. Don't do that at Obitalk.com.

Anyway, the point is that's the response ("expiry of 300 is invalid please use 3600") from FPL's server.

And that response is only generated by your ATA sending Expires=300 (seconds) in SIP headers to FPL's proxy server.

So, why would that be happening if the RegistrationPeriod and RegistrationExpires values are 3600 seconds at Obitalk.com? The logical explanation is that RegistrationPeriod isn't 3600 seconds in your ATA for the ITSP profile you're using for Freephoneline (appears to be ITSP Profile A).

Your ATA isn't sending the wrong Expires value for no reason.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on May 15th, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Sep 29, 2022
598 posts
681 upvotes
Is there a product similar to freephonline where there is mininal operating costs and supports text?

Ideally one that works with sites like Discord and Uber who block voip numbers?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2304 posts
950 upvotes
RearmedLif wrote: Is there a product similar to freephonline where there is mininal operating costs and supports text?

Ideally one that works with sites like Discord and Uber who block voip numbers?
7/11 Speakout is one option - $25 a year to refill - it runs on Rogers so all 2FA will accept it https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/ you can put it on an old phone you don't use
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
hi @ArrowFlynn

In freepbx,

I know in freephoneline it requires Check Settings->Asterisk SIP Settings->Chan SIP Settings (Registration Times) to see if you have the following:

defaultexpiry=3600
RegisterTimeout=120
RegisterExpiry=3600
MaxExpiry=3600
MinExpiry=3000

I also have another trunk bulkvs which requires "We see this registration trunk registering every 2 minutes, could you lease have this decreased to every 25 seconds and test again."

Is there a way to have both trunk working? As they both ask for different registrations values..
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
The number of questions I’m getting is becoming overwhelming. I suggest asking at the FreePBX community forums and/or at dslreports. I intend no disrespect or mean to offend, but I also don’t use FreePBX (although I know what some of the settings do), and I’m not going to start trying to help support BulkVS in addition to what I’m already doing.

https://community.freepbx.org/
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

BulkVS

Phone :

E-mail :
support@bulkvs.com
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on May 15th, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
@ArrowFlynn
spent a bit time and manage to make it work. After get ATA web address and type in browser, get a bad URL error. Searched and it seems WAN access not enabled. Dialed ***0 option 30 and changed to enable and then I can access.
Did all the setting changes 1-6. Issue with the last one -- did not find option "notify", so I change that to custom, and then enter line below X_CustomKeepAliveMsg "notify"

6) X_KeepAliveMsgType should be "notify"

After these changes, error is gone and SP1 shows connected. Also I tried dialing the phone from cell and works now.
Thanks a lot for your help
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
sfrancis wrote: @ArrowFlynn
spent a bit time and manage to make it work. After get ATA web address and type in browser, get a bad URL error. Searched and it seems WAN access not enabled. Dialed ***0 option 30 and changed to enable and then I can access.
That's step 2 on page 10 of PDF guide, which you really should be using: https://forum.fongo.com/download/file.php?id=2195.

Or https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202 ... b-from-WAN
Did all the setting changes 1-6. Issue with the last one -- did not find option "notify", so I change that to custom, and then enter line below X_CustomKeepAliveMsg "notify" 6) X_KeepAliveMsgType should be "notify"

The setting should be there unless you're using a really old ATA firmware version.

It occurs to me that Obitalk.com may not be able to push settings from the website when very old ATA firmware versions are being used. I’m not sure.

The latest firmware version can be found at https://support.poly.com/support/s/arti ... re-Version. You might want to download that file while you still can. The firmware update instructions are listed on that site.

After these changes, error is gone and SP1 shows connected. Also I tried dialing the phone from cell and works now.
Good. The real cause was not having RegistrationPeriod = 3600 seconds, but the other settings are important as well.
Thanks a lot for your help
You're very welcome. Upvoted for being polite to me. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
ArrowFlynn wrote: The number of questions I’m getting is becoming overwhelming. I suggest asking at the FreePBX community forums and/or at dslreports. I intend no disrespect or mean to offend, but I also don’t use FreePBX (although I know what some of the settings do), and I’m not going to start trying to help support BulkVS in addition to what I’m already doing.

https://community.freepbx.org/
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

BulkVS

Phone :

E-mail :
support@bulkvs.com
yeah, i did already ask them. my question was whether it is possible to have different registration times when it comes to 2 different trunks. i did ask the question to the other forum, but nothing so far. So i wasn't sure if you would know the answer, but thanks!
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
L4cky wrote: yeah, i did already ask them. my question was whether it is possible to have different registration times when it comes to 2 different trunks. i did ask the question to the other forum, but nothing so far. So i wasn't sure if you would know the answer, but thanks!
You should be able to set the Expiration value per trunk.

Try changing MinExpiry to 20 seconds (or whatever you want) and change the Expiration value for each trunk to whatever is requested by the provider. Freephoneline should be 3600 seconds.
Edit Trunk-->Advanced-->pjsip settings tab-->Expiration

I'm not using FreePBX currently, so I have no way of checking easily.
Again, I don't want to have to start troubleshooting BulkVS with FreePBX for people. It's too much work for me in addition to all the other requests I receive.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
@ArrowFlynn sorry one more inquiry, my Panasonic answering machine no longer pick up unanswered calls and save message, instead, it goes to my voicemail and forwarded as email. Searched this thread but did not get much info. Wonder if you have any advice. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
First, fellow FPL users, I'm sure other people can answer some of these questions. Respectfully, I don't need to be tagged on everything.
sfrancis wrote: @ArrowFlynn sorry one more inquiry, my Panasonic answering machine no longer pick up unanswered calls and save message, instead, it goes to my voicemail and forwarded as email. Searched this thread but did not get much info. Wonder if you have any advice. Thank you.

1) As you may be aware, there's no way to avoid using Freephoneline's voicemail system completely. When your internet connection/service goes down, so does Freephoneline, and when that happens all incoming calls are sent to FPL's voicemail system automatically. Similarly, when your ATA is unregistered for any reason with Freephoneline, incoming calls go to FPL's voicemail system. When you lose power to your ATA, calls go to Freephoneline's voicemail system too. That is, when Freephoneline isn't working for you, failover is Freephoneline's voicemail system.

There's no way around not using Freephoneline's voicemail system at some point in your life. Consequently, it makes for sense to me to just use it instead.

2) In order for incoming calls to be answered by your Panasonic voicemail system, the number of rings required for it to answer a call must be less than the "Rings before voicemail" setting found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/voicemailSettings.

So, if your Panasonic answering machine picks up calls after 6 rings while "Rings before voicemail" is set to 5 rings, then your Panasonic answering machine will never answer anything. FPL's voicemail system will always be reached first. You would need to change "Rings before voicemail" to 8, in this example.

Refer to your Panasonic manual if you're not sure how many rings are heard before it picks up (it may also be possible to change how many rings are required before the Panasonic answering machine picks up; I don't know).
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2883 posts
1622 upvotes
for the last two days, callers have been telling me that my voice is cutting in and out. I'm 99% sure that it's not my internet. Anyone else experiencing issues?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
TheDgoat wrote: for the last two days, callers have been telling me that my voice is cutting in and out.
That's affected by upload from you. Jitter and QoS are factors.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p27516045

WinMTR is now located at https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/.

If you're on a cordless phone, ensure you're close to the phone base and not dealing with interference.
I'm 99% sure that it's not my internet.
Did you test to the RTP servers to confirm that? They are 208.85.218.146 and 208.85.218.147 (subject to change).
Anyone else experiencing issues?
I'm not, which includes calling to and from other FPL users (my parents, for one), but I'm not calling the specific numbers that you are. If there's a carrier issue affecting one specific route, then no one else may encounter the exact, same problem you're experiencing, unless the same route is used.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on May 17th, 2023 11:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got email this morning... i think mine is set for voip2.freephoneline.ca as I saw recommended by others in the past.
Sep 3, 2020 — i changed my proxy to voip2.freephoneline.ca and was able to get incoming calls again. marcaccioc: Just Passing Thru: Posts: 12: Joined: Wed Ja

Change Affecting Your Service (IMPORTANT)

UPDATE YOUR SIP SERVER

Ensure your devices are routing to voip.freephoneline.ca as we are making some changes behind the scenes on our end.

When?
We will begin making changes on Tuesday, May 23.

How?
Access your device’s web interface
Change the following settings (if not already set)
SIP Server: voip.freephoneline.ca
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Received this via email from Freephoneline (as well as another Fongo home upsell) so figured I would share in case people don't notice it in their inbox... Does this mean they are getting rid of the other specific servers then? I know some people had to use specific servers to work in their situation (like I think it was with Rogers)..
EDIT: 905P4N6 beat me by 1 minute. ha

From the email :
------------

Ensure your devices are routing to voip.freephoneline.ca as we are making some changes behind the scenes on our end.

When?

We will begin making changes on Tuesday, May 23.

How?

Access your device’s web interface

Change the following settings (if not already set)

SIP Server:

voip.freephoneline.ca

SIP Proxy (If Applicable):

voip.freephoneline.ca

You can find your own specific SIP settings:

Note:

Perform this change prior to when we will be making the switch.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2020
1333 posts
1530 upvotes
YLSF wrote: Received this via email from Freephoneline (as well as another Fongo home upsell) so figured I would share in case people don't notice it in their inbox... Does this mean they are getting rid of the other specific servers then?
No. Server names are still the same. But people using an IP address instead of voip.freephoneline.ca are probably in trouble until they switch to the server domain name.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on May 17th, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)