Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Anybody having issues with accessing voicemail through dialing *98? When i dial it just gives me a long tone, and thats it.
Callers can still leave messages though.
Looking for a fix to this

Thanks
I don't know what ATA you're using, but I was having a problem with accessing VM through *98 last week. I was getting a busy signal. This is how I fixed it:

Went into the Star Code profiles via the expert mode of ObiTalk and changed Code28, Blind Transfer, from *98 to *99.

I found out about this by reading a configuration guide in the Fongo community forums here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f= ... 76142e3f5d

I also updated my digitmap based on the PDF guide for the OBi200. Since I did both those things, I haven't had any issues with the service (it's been about 5 or 6 days now).

In the meantime, you can login to your freephoneline account via freephoneline.ca and change your Voice Mail to Email setting under "Voicemail Settings". If you choose "copy" you'll get the messages sent to your email and can also check them via the phone (when that's working). If you choose "forward" they'll only be sent to your email.
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
althoma1 wrote: I don't know what ATA you're using, but I was having a problem with accessing VM through *98 last week. I was getting a busy signal. This is how I fixed it:

Went into the Star Code profiles via the expert mode of ObiTalk and changed Code28, Blind Transfer, from *98 to *99.

I found out about this by reading a configuration guide in the Fongo community forums here: http://forum.fongo.com/viewforum.php?f= ... 76142e3f5d

I also updated my digitmap based on the PDF guide for the OBi200. Since I did both those things, I haven't had any issues with the service (it's been about 5 or 6 days now).

In the meantime, you can login to your freephoneline account via freephoneline.ca and change your Voice Mail to Email setting under "Voicemail Settings". If you choose "copy" you'll get the messages sent to your email and can also check them via the phone (when that's working). If you choose "forward" they'll only be sent to your email.
Sorry. Using the OBI200
Not sure how changing the StarCode would fix the issue. Mind sharing the coding for the Digit Map i should try
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Sorry. Using the OBI200
Not sure how changing the StarCode would fix the issue. Mind sharing the coding for the Digit Map i should try
The Digitmap I used is: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.

Full details of issues with the Obitalk setup and Freephoneline are detailed in the config guide (I believe written by the member formerly known as Webslinger). Here's all the pertinent info that I used below:

Potential Problems With Setting up Freephoneline Using Obitalk.com Configuration issues A. Pianoguy on the Redflagdeals forum notes that “the OBi's default keep-alive message is literally keep-alive which doesn't garner a response. If you have a newer firmware version on your OBi200 (not available on OBi1) you can try the following: Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked X_KeepAliveExpires: 20 X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify” At the time of this writing, if you’re using Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, X_KeepAliveExpires will be set to 15, and X_KeepAliveMsgType will not be set properly. So, if you’re going to use Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, change these settings to the above recommended values.
B. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP KeepAliveInterval: 20
C. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP X_UsePublicAddressInVia: enabled To help avoid one-way audio issues with Freephoneline, enable this setting. D. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP Uncheck the box under the Value column to disable X_Use302ToCallForward Freephoneline requires calls to be bridged if you want your ATA to forward calls. If X_Use302ToCallForward is enabled, calls that are forwarded by the ATA (as opposed to using Freephoneline’s Follow Me feature) will be dropped to voicemail E. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service X_UserAgentPort would be better as a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router.

F. Navigate to Service Providers–>ITSP Profile (FPL)–>General DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)
Here’s an alternative example: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-7]11|<811:8667970000>|*98|911) The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone number for your area and replace the phone number after the colon. Note that dialing 811 in this example reaches Telehealth Ontario. https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/ <1> means add or prepend 1 to the beginning of the phone number <:1> also means add 1 <1:> means remove 1 from the beginning (and replace it with what follows after the colon) [2-9] means match any single digit from 2 to 9 XX. means match any phone number you dial (also XX. is an indefinite variable, and without XX.S3, for example, your ATA will wait 10 seconds for you to finish entering in a phone number before dialing out). S3 reduces the wait (represents 3 seconds). 011XX. means any number starting with 011 (for international dialing), and again XX is an indefinite variable. Without the .S3, your ATA will wait 10 seconds. 011xxxxxxxxxxxx. is wrong if the international phone number is less than 11 digits.
Mipd is for IP dialing. [^*#]@@. is for SIP URI. Neither is needed with Freephoneline. They should be removed. [6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx. listed in another guide should never be used since it can't logically apply to anything. XX. is usually not needed (and actually, inadvisable, since it can apply to anything and, due to it being an indefinite variable, creates a 10 second timeout in the ATA while it waits for the user to finish entering a phone number). *98 is for voicemail, which works with Freephoneline, by default. For more information on Obihai Digitmaps, visit http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/a ... l-v1-1.pdf. G. Navigate to Codecs–>Codec Profile (A or whatever the VoIP service you're using is assigned to . . . you can determine this under Voice services-->SP[freephoneline] Service-->X_CodecProfile)
i. Uncheck the default boxes for Enable (Fax Event) and T38ECM
ii. Check or enable the boxes under the Value column for Enable (Fax Event) and TC8ECM.
T.38 Fax protocol works with an OBi200 or OBi202 and Freephoneline.
H. Star Code Profiles (A & B) Code28: *99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn) Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
althoma1 wrote: The Digitmap I used is: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)

Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.

Full details of issues with the Obitalk setup and Freephoneline are detailed in the config guide (I believe written by the member formerly known as Webslinger). Here's all the pertinent info that I used below:

Potential Problems With Setting up Freephoneline Using Obitalk.com Configuration issues A. Pianoguy on the Redflagdeals forum notes that “the OBi's default keep-alive message is literally keep-alive which doesn't garner a response. If you have a newer firmware version on your OBi200 (not available on OBi1) you can try the following: Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) X_KeepAliveEnable: Checked X_KeepAliveExpires: 20 X_KeepAliveMsgType: notify” At the time of this writing, if you’re using Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, X_KeepAliveExpires will be set to 15, and X_KeepAliveMsgType will not be set properly. So, if you’re going to use Obitalk.com to provision Freephoneline, change these settings to the above recommended values.
B. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->RTP KeepAliveInterval: 20
C. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP X_UsePublicAddressInVia: enabled To help avoid one-way audio issues with Freephoneline, enable this setting. D. Navigate to Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP Uncheck the box under the Value column to disable X_Use302ToCallForward Freephoneline requires calls to be bridged if you want your ATA to forward calls. If X_Use302ToCallForward is enabled, calls that are forwarded by the ATA (as opposed to using Freephoneline’s Follow Me feature) will be dropped to voicemail E. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service X_UserAgentPort would be better as a random port number between 30000 and 65535. Just pick a port number in that range. By using a high random port you help to thwart SIP scanners and may also circumvent a faulty SIP ALG feature in your router.

F. Navigate to Service Providers–>ITSP Profile (FPL)–>General DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|*98|[2-9]11)
Here’s an alternative example: (1xxxxxxxxxx|011XX.S3|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-7]11|<811:8667970000>|*98|911) The digitmap is appropriate for Toronto. For 811 you will need to look up the corresponding phone number for your area and replace the phone number after the colon. Note that dialing 811 in this example reaches Telehealth Ontario. https://www.fongo.com/government-service-numbers/ <1> means add or prepend 1 to the beginning of the phone number <:1> also means add 1 <1:> means remove 1 from the beginning (and replace it with what follows after the colon) [2-9] means match any single digit from 2 to 9 XX. means match any phone number you dial (also XX. is an indefinite variable, and without XX.S3, for example, your ATA will wait 10 seconds for you to finish entering in a phone number before dialing out). S3 reduces the wait (represents 3 seconds). 011XX. means any number starting with 011 (for international dialing), and again XX is an indefinite variable. Without the .S3, your ATA will wait 10 seconds. 011xxxxxxxxxxxx. is wrong if the international phone number is less than 11 digits.
Mipd is for IP dialing. [^*#]@@. is for SIP URI. Neither is needed with Freephoneline. They should be removed. [6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx. listed in another guide should never be used since it can't logically apply to anything. XX. is usually not needed (and actually, inadvisable, since it can apply to anything and, due to it being an indefinite variable, creates a 10 second timeout in the ATA while it waits for the user to finish entering a phone number). *98 is for voicemail, which works with Freephoneline, by default. For more information on Obihai Digitmaps, visit http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/a ... l-v1-1.pdf. G. Navigate to Codecs–>Codec Profile (A or whatever the VoIP service you're using is assigned to . . . you can determine this under Voice services-->SP[freephoneline] Service-->X_CodecProfile)
i. Uncheck the default boxes for Enable (Fax Event) and T38ECM
ii. Check or enable the boxes under the Value column for Enable (Fax Event) and TC8ECM.
T.38 Fax protocol works with an OBi200 or OBi202 and Freephoneline.
H. Star Code Profiles (A & B) Code28: *99, Blind Transfer, coll($Bxrn) Blind Transfer can't be *98 with Freephoneline. *98 is meant for voicemail. Change Blind Transfer to *99 or something other than *98. Obitalk's preset configuration doesn't have this set properly for Freephoneline.
Just tried changing the Starcode and Digitmap and all works now! Thanks so much
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote: Just tried changing the Starcode and Digitmap and all works now! Thanks so much
No problem. I am glad it worked.
Jul 15, 2014
71 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a spare OBI200 and want to set up my GF with VOIP but Freephoneline is no longer free for new activation's.
Any suggestions for free VOIP services?
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
You always had to buy SIP credentials (or what they refer to as a VoIP Unlock Key) with freephoneline. The price has simply gone up over time. I think it was $49.95 when I bought mine over a decade ago and slowly crept up. I believe it's now $99.95, which may seem like a lot, but it's way cheaper over the long run than going with a subscription service like Fongo. Compared to Fongo you'd break even in just over 20 months and after that you wouldn't be paying any additional fees unless you're paying for international calls (or call 911, but you could just use your cell phone for 911).

You can use the Fongo app for free (and I do for WiFi calling when I'm not at home), but it's not a true home phone and I think you can still call using the freephoneline desktop app, but I haven't tried to do that in over a decade. I don't know of any other true free VOIP services. I know a lot of people like VOIP.ms and it's cheap, but not free. I still think freephoneline is the best deal even with the higher one time unlock key fee.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16544 posts
2978 upvotes
Toronto
The lack of tech support and $99.95 unlock fee are major hurdles for some people; however, Google Voice works on the obi200 for outgoing calls. For incoming, you'll need a verified Google number with a USA area code.

I paid $59.95 + tax in October, 2015 and I've been very satisfied with FPL on a Linksys PAP2t and Obi200.
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
Yes, I have a google voice number with a USA area code and use that as a secondary line on the OBI 200. I didn't think of suggesting that as a primary line for a Canadian due to the fact that you do have to choose a US area code and it's a bit of work to get a Google voice number as a Canadian. It is an option though as I've never had a problem with Google voice when calling US or Canadian numbers and have also received a couple calls. Personally, I just wanted to keep my old 416 number when moving over to freephoneline over a decade ago so I wouldn't have to give friends and family a new number and for people without VOIP it can be expensive to call a US number.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16544 posts
2978 upvotes
Toronto
althoma1 wrote: Yes, I have a google voice number with a USA area code and use that as a secondary line on the OBI 200. I didn't think of suggesting that as a primary line for a Canadian due to the fact that you do have to choose a US area code and it's a bit of work to get a Google voice number as a Canadian. It is an option though as I've never had a problem with Google voice when calling US or Canadian numbers and have also received a couple calls. Personally, I just wanted to keep my old 416 number when moving over to freephoneline over a decade ago so I wouldn't have to give friends and family a new number and for people without VOIP it can be expensive to call a US number.
Very true. I have friends and relatives in the USA who have unlimited USA calling which means they can call my GV number and it rings in Canada on my Obi200 which is nice.

When travel to the USA, I call and text them using my GV number which is also nice. I usually use my Roam Mobility sim for USA travel.
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Very true. I have friends and relatives in the USA who have unlimited USA calling which means they can call my GV number and it rings in Canada on my Obi200 which is nice.

When travel to the USA, I call and text them using my GV number which is also nice. I usually use my Roam Mobility sim for USA travel.
My wife has some relatives in the US and we use GV to call there and I think they've called here a couple times with it as well. I do have some friends in the US, but usually communicated with them via online chatting ect., but the idea of calling and texting with GV when visiting the US sounds good. On your phone do you do that with the Hangouts app? I know on a desktop or laptop when I look at GMAIL I see the option to make calls or send messages - I've actually only used the GV number via the OBi 200 though.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16544 posts
2978 upvotes
Toronto
althoma1 wrote: My wife has some relatives in the US and we use GV to call there and I think they've called here a couple times with it as well. I do have some friends in the US, but usually communicated with them via online chatting ect., but the idea of calling and texting with GV when visiting the US sounds good. On your phone do you do that with the Hangouts app? I know on a desktop or laptop when I look at GMAIL I see the option to make calls or send messages - I've actually only used the GV number via the OBi 200 though.
Yes, I use the hangouts dialer on Android to send and receive texts, make and receive calls.
Dec 28, 2006
608 posts
138 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Yes, I use the hangouts dialer on Android to send and receive texts, make and receive calls.
Great. Thanks. I will probably try using that in the future.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1467 posts
386 upvotes
Oakville
rdrexman wrote: Anybody running Asterisk/freepbx with freephoneline.ca? I'm noticing disconnects typically after ~15mins. I have it set to NAT but am not forwarding any ports through my firewall.

Seeing this error:
Disconnecting call 'SIP/freephoneline-00000104' for lack of RTP activity in 31 seconds
Did you solve your issue?

I have had Asterisk/Freepbx set up with FPL for 8 years, and have had outgoing calls drop audio after 15 minutes since end of Feb/early Mar.
I have no problems on incoming calls over 15 minutes, just outgoing calls have the problem now since FPL changed their server setups.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1011 posts
455 upvotes
althoma1 wrote: Great. Thanks. I will probably try using that in the future.
There's Google's Voice app which has a more updated interface. May need to change country to USA to find it in Play Store. Also available for iOS.