Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2004
3884 posts
802 upvotes
Mississauga
BobSagget wrote: can you block numbers on this the same way you can on the obi devices?
On the obi i can use the "User Defined Digit Map" to block hundreds of numbers so they go straight to VM without ringing
Sorry, I don't have direct access to the ATA anymore.
http://www.grandstream.com/sites/defaul ... _guide.pdf

Search "blacklist" keyword, I think you're allowed 10.
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2019
772 posts
265 upvotes
I'm considering setting this up for a friend's business who needs to renew before they're in another 3-year contract. How is reliability on this? When something goes wrong, how long does it usually take to fix?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
11866 posts
10800 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: I'm considering setting this up for a friend's business who needs to renew before they're in another 3-year contract. How is reliability on this? When something goes wrong, how long does it usually take to fix?
FPL means DIY VoIP phone.
The owner needs to know how to fix it with the help of this long thread.

A few months ago, my SPA112 power brick died. I ended up without home phone service for couple of months while I am looking for a cheap replacement from local Kijiji.
If your ATA dies, you looking outage for a few day while waiting for a new one to arrive.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5085 posts
2699 upvotes
Toronto
DrDoomsday wrote: I'm considering setting this up for a friend's business who needs to renew before they're in another 3-year contract. How is reliability on this? When something goes wrong, how long does it usually take to fix?
I been using it for business number and only downside is that when internet goes down, nothing works.

However, I have it to forward to my cell after 12th ring, so it works sometime.

I don't recommend setting this up for your friend as any customer lost because of downtime, it will be on you. Let the owner buy the ata and ask questions, but don't go near this thing. Of past 12 months, I had 2hrs of no internet during rush hour. I also had 2 hrs of no phone when useragentport needed to be changed because of NAT issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2283 posts
1098 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DrDoomsday wrote: I'm considering setting this up for a friend's business who needs to renew before they're in another 3-year contract. How is reliability on this? When something goes wrong, how long does it usually take to fix?
I would never use FPL for business as any downtime you experience you'll be on your own to repair with an increased risk of losing customers (money). Any VOIP adapter failure, you'll be on your own without phone service for a week (from delivery to setup). If your internet goes down so will your phone service unless your friend is willing to pay for a backup internet line which he probably isn't if he's looking for a free phone line as a business line in the first place.

I would save the headache and just go with a traditional phone setup.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2019
772 posts
265 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: I would never use FPL for business as any downtime you experience you'll be on your own to repair with an increased risk of losing customers (money). Any VOIP adapter failure, you'll be on your own without phone service for a week (from delivery to setup). If your internet goes down so will your phone service unless your friend is willing to pay for a backup internet line which he probably isn't if he's looking for a free phone line as a business line in the first place.

I would save the headache and just go with a traditional phone setup.
Thanks a lot for sharing that! The other option I was considering suggesting to them was to switch to Fongo's $5/month, "plug-and-play" option (the one where they give you a pre-configured adapter to plug in). When I looked at their site, this service only comes with email support. It would be great if you could share your thoughts on this as well.

The thing with sticking with Bell/Rogers is that even they take a day or two to finally come out and get it fixed (at least in my experience).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2283 posts
1098 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DrDoomsday wrote: Thanks a lot for sharing that! The other option I was considering suggesting to them was to switch to Fongo's $5/month, "plug-and-play" option (the one where they give you a pre-configured adapter to plug in). When I looked at their site, this service only comes with email support. It would be great if you could share your thoughts on this as well.
From what I read from other users that had dealt with Fongo over email, it took them 7-9 days just to reply.
IMO, email support alone isn't good enough for a paid VOIP service.
I think taking a day or 2 to get a tech over for a repair is ALOT better than what you can expect/get from most VOIP services unless we are talking about enterprise-level.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2019
772 posts
265 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: I been using it for business number and only downside is that when internet goes down, nothing works.

However, I have it to forward to my cell after 12th ring, so it works sometime.

I don't recommend setting this up for your friend as any customer lost because of downtime, it will be on you. Let the owner buy the ata and ask questions, but don't go near this thing. Of past 12 months, I had 2hrs of no internet during rush hour. I also had 2 hrs of no phone when useragentport needed to be changed because of NAT issue.
Thanks for sharing! I truly appreciate hearing from others. Can I ask what your thoughts would be on getting them set up with the $5/month Fongo plug-and-play service? It is the same company I believe but the paid version of their service.
Last edited by DrDoomsday on Jun 4th, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 19, 2005
4212 posts
1099 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: I'm looking for ONE just as a backup and even used ones are as expensive as buying new. Crazy.
If your adapter dies and need a reasonably priced one desperately, I could sell you a Linksys/Cisco at a fair/good price. My company writes software to provision these devices, and were dumping them out. I picked up a few. I keep them as backups rather than trying to selling them (not worth my time).
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1242 posts
571 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
embguy wrote: If your ATA dies, you looking outage for a few day while waiting for a new one to arrive.
You can use the free PC app or download a voip app on tablet/smart phone.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1315 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
What about Vonage? Still VoIP, but they have phone support.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1242 posts
571 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
DrDoomsday wrote: Is the PC app working? I have been trying to get it set up but keep running into these issues:

I have tried installing JRE 8 and JRE10 and selecting the folder in Program Files.
Yes
Image

Top