Freebies

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario
nightwalker wrote: voip2.freephoneline.ca went down again, had to switch back to voip.freephoneline.ca today.

What is going on with this service lately?!?
The frequency of issues for me is forcing me to consider jumping to another voip provider. I started a while ago so my cost of entry was low, and I would have made that up a long time ago.

Thinking of a low cost option like voip.ms, that at least has more support channels. It has been reliable for me with another line I have.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1345 posts
232 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: The frequency of issues for me is forcing me to consider jumping to another voip provider. I started a while ago so my cost of entry was low, and I would have made that up a long time ago.

Thinking of a low cost option like voip.ms, that at least has more support channels. It has been reliable for me with another line I have.
Agreed, it's difficult to know that your home phone service isn't working too until you use it to call someone and notice that it is offline.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario
nightwalker wrote: Agreed, it's difficult to know that your home phone service isn't working too until you use it to call someone and notice that it is offline.
Yeah, being unaware is the worst part. Especially for issues not related to online status. First call in doesn't work but subsequent calls do, etc. Getting calls on my mobile asking if the line is working, etc.

Hell, I was even considering porting to Rogers home phone for crying out loud! lol That line has been more stable than all my others (and at least for me, the superfluous line I have as part of a package has been free for years).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario
nightwalker wrote: Agreed, it's difficult to know that your home phone service isn't working too until you use it to call someone and notice that it is offline.
LOL, as if their ears were burning, voip.ms was experiencing call issues and I received an email letting me know it exists, what they are, and of course, they are rectifying it.
Jun 10, 2007
153 posts
28 upvotes
I think the problem is on the ATA, at least what I observed on my OBi200. The device seems to have problem if we don't open the web interface regularly.
I rarely have issue with the connection since I automated my computer to query the status page in a certain intervals.
Before that it was quite often to have a lost connection.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3027 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
nightwalker wrote: voip2.freephoneline.ca went down again, had to switch back to voip.freephoneline.ca today.

What is going on with this service lately?!?
Same issues recently, had to change 3 configurations in separate ATA recently.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1345 posts
232 upvotes
aikidoka wrote: I think the problem is on the ATA, at least what I observed on my OBi200. The device seems to have problem if we don't open the web interface regularly.
I rarely have issue with the connection since I automated my computer to query the status page in a certain intervals.
Before that it was quite often to have a lost connection.
This is just a recent issue for me. And it only worked when I switched from voip2.freephoneline.ca to voip.freephoneline.ca
Before it was voip.freephoneline.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca

It didn't fix itself even after I rebooted the device from my PAP2's web interface until I switched the "Inbound/Outbound Proxy".

I never had to go into my ATA device's web interface for the past 5 years.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1790 posts
334 upvotes
Anyone had issues with voicemail a few weeks ago ? I didn't get any notifications of voicemail on my phone. Then one day, the notification was on. When I checked the voicemails, they were a few days old. Not sure why I wasn't notified the day the voicemails were left.
Nov 23, 2012
166 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
sylvestor2002 wrote: Anyone had issues with voicemail a few weeks ago ? I didn't get any notifications of voicemail on my phone. Then one day, the notification was on. When I checked the voicemails, they were a few days old. Not sure why I wasn't notified the day the voicemails were left.
https://status.fongo.com/history
Resolved - Voicemail Notifications Not Arriving
Sep 04, 2020 - 11:02 (EDT)
Nov 23, 2012
166 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
nightwalker wrote: Before it was voip.freephoneline.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca
I haven't had to switch anything. Freephoneline has been working all week or me for outbound and inbound calls.
It didn't fix itself even after I rebooted the device from my PAP2's web interface until I switched the "Inbound/Outbound Proxy".
You don't have to enter anything for outbound proxy.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1345 posts
232 upvotes
Dahlya wrote: I haven't had to switch anything. Freephoneline has been working all week or me for outbound and inbound calls.

You don't have to enter anything for outbound proxy.
That's when I go into advance mode on my PAP2.
Which ATA device are you on? I notice that Obihai and Grandstream devices allows a fallback SIP setting. So technically you can set voip.freephoneline.ca as your primary and voip2.freephoneline.ca as a secondary (fallback). That might explain why some of you guys aren't having this issue.
Nov 23, 2012
166 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
nightwalker wrote: That's when I go into advance mode on my PAP2.
Use Outbound Proxy is set to "no" in advanced view in the guide for your ATA on page 6. Outbound Proxy is blank. Entering an outbound proxy is not required with Freephoneline.
So technically you can set voip.freephoneline.ca as your primary and voip2.freephoneline.ca as a secondary (fallback). That might explain why some of you guys aren't having this issue.
I have been registered on voip2.freephoneline.ca all week long.
Nov 23, 2012
166 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
Dahlya wrote: https://status.fongo.com/history
Resolved - Voicemail Notifications Not Arriving
Sep 04, 2020 - 11:02 (EDT)
I don't remember exactly when, but around that time I had a problem with not receiving voicemail notifications too. I am receiving them now.
May 9, 2012
791 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal
1. If someone moves to another city where they have another area code, do you have to change phone number? Or Would someone be able to keep their current phone number ?
-Any issues, confusion issues ppl know about?
2. If you had to change phone number, how do you do so?
Thanks
Nov 23, 2012
166 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
barginfreak wrote: 1. If someone moves to another city where they have another area code, do you have to change phone number?
You’re not forced to change numbers. Your number will still work.

Any issues, confusion issues ppl know about?
People in your new location will be calling a phone number that may not be in the same area code that they are in, in order to reach you.

If you had to change phone number, how do you do so?
Take a look at this article.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)