Computers & Electronics

freephoneline.ca - Free Local Soft Phone Line for lifetime VOIP

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 10:58 pm
Sep 29, 2009
297 posts
71 upvotes
Matryx wrote: I keep hearing about voip.ms. What exactly is this? What's different about voip and voip.ms?
voip.ms is just a company, VOIP is the protocol ( Voice Over IP)
Jan 27, 2008
875 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
ginko123 wrote: hi all have 2 quick questions:

1) in terms of quality this being VOIP, how does this compare to voip.ms (I mean I know we're talking digital and there is no support here)

2) How does calling to United States work? Do they offer additional plans to call US or Cities not covered by FPL? I guess I can use magicjack but don't want to boot up that thing
1. I've never used voip.ms so I won't comment :)

2. http://www.freephoneline.ca/ldServices
Sep 5, 2004
528 posts
7 upvotes
ginko123 wrote: hi all have 2 quick questions:

1) in terms of quality this being VOIP, how does this compare to voip.ms (I mean I know we're talking digital and there is no support here)

2) How does calling to United States work? Do they offer additional plans to call US or Cities not covered by FPL? I guess I can use magicjack but don't want to boot up that thing
I use FPL and for any long distance, I use voipdiscount.com (rarely call long distance, so this is the most effective use of my money)
Confused? Depressed? Angry? Relationship Problems? Feeling Alone?

www.HelpingTeens.org - Making teen life easier with teen to teen advice.

Articles > Resources > Live Chat > Support Groups and much more!
I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1781 posts
16 upvotes
Dtwn G.T.A.
Is there anyway I could get this to work with a WIFI phone that has java? or perhaps that is running Windows CE? Perhaps a blackberry or something?

Even better, could this possibly be used on a phone that has WAP?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1243 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
I have used it with SJPhone in Windows Mobile 5 and my friend used it in Windows CE with the same software.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1781 posts
16 upvotes
Dtwn G.T.A.
tomtong wrote: I have used it with SJPhone in Windows Mobile 5 and my friend used it in Windows CE with the same software.
So how does it work? Only through wifi? I googled SJPhone and got a .com and .org link, which is it?

would I require the $50 config file from freephoneline.com?

Could I use this both on my phone and laptop at the same time? Because I know it has some weird port forwarding thing when I use the freephoneline.com software.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
just_For_ipod wrote: So how does it work? Only through wifi? I googled SJPhone and got a .com and .org link, which is it?

would I require the $50 config file from freephoneline.com?

Could I use this both on my phone and laptop at the same time? Because I know it has some weird port forwarding thing when I use the freephoneline.com software.

Thanks.
You will need to buy the $50 sip settings.

SJphone is a but old and creaky. It works though. http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

If you have a 3G connect, it should work, but wifi is better.

You can register freephoneline on multiple devices. However, it will only ring to one of them, and there is no way to tell which device it will ring to. You can make only 2 outgoing calls at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
101 upvotes
bridonca wrote: You can register freephoneline on multiple devices. However, it will only ring to one of them, and there is no way to tell which device it will ring to.
Really? That's an annoyance. I wish they would change that.
Sep 21, 2004
9 posts
Burlington
Longobongo wrote: Want to make the switch to voip but Mississauga isn't listed as one of the cities with free calling. Am I out of luck?
Mississauga as a city isn't listed as a free calling area, but all of the communities are (Clarkson, Port Credit, Streetsville, Malton).
My Heatware

IRC is just multiplayer notepad
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
advisorgee wrote: Mississauga as a city isn't listed as a free calling area, but all of the communities are (Clarkson, Port Credit, Streetsville, Malton).
Thanks, I made some calls using the softphone to my home and cell and for both, the call quality is pretty good. I got a Toronto FPL number (647 area code) and there seem to be no problem calling to Mississauga.

I'm a believer now, gonna order the Linksys PAP2 off eBay and order the SIP settings from FPL. Couple of noobish questions though:

1) I'm with Teksavvy DSL and Phone service, will I need to get Dry Loop once I drop Teksavvy as my phone provider?

2) That dual GSM/Wifi cell phone posted a few pages back, if I wanted to get that cell phone, does it need a device like the Linksys PAP2 to work? I assume the point of this phone is that you receive FPL calls via wifi at home, and when you're out, FPL calls are forwarded to the GSM part of the phone?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see Brampton as one of the cities. I wanted to switch too
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Matryx wrote: I don't see Brampton as one of the cities. I wanted to switch too
It's on the list but the FPL phone number they give you is a weird area code so I went with Toronto.
Jul 20, 2003
230 posts
25 upvotes
Hi Everyone,

Based on one of doltbuster's posts, I decided to take the plunge even though I was (yes, was :twisted: ) a Vonage client.

I signed up for FPL, purchased a Cisco PAP2T-NA from Canada Computers and paid the $50 configuration file which was e-mailed immediately after they processed the credit card. The ATA configuration was literally a minute of cut and paste.

I have to say, I'm quite satisfied with my initial investment. However, the call quality isn't perfect. In fact, it's not as consistent in quality as Vonage or even my SkypeOut.

If I were to rate the quality, it would be:

1. Vonage
2. SkypeOut
3. FPL

It certainly something people will want to try before they commit. Again, I was happy enough with the quality to ditch Vonage so a big thanks to doltbuster and everyone else who contributed to this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
I just order the Linksys pap2-na on ebay but I noticed that the FPL forums has instructions for the pap2t-na, is there a major difference between the models or will I be fine?

edit: Saw this post, hope things work out
bridonca wrote: You can get a PAP2 for $30 on Ebay. that is where I got mine and it works.
http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_trkparms=65 ... p=15&_sc=1

I own a few of these, and they work fine with Freephoneline. The sim also works with fido/rogers/speakout/petrocanada Only downside is that it needs an adapter for the power plug, or you can charge it with the computer usb
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BNIB-PIRELLI-DISCUS- ... 3f00db276a
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
paradime wrote: Hi Everyone,

Based on one of doltbuster's posts, I decided to take the plunge even though I was (yes, was :twisted: ) a Vonage client.

I signed up for FPL, purchased a Cisco PAP2T-NA from Canada Computers and paid the $50 configuration file which was e-mailed immediately after they processed the credit card. The ATA configuration was literally a minute of cut and paste.

I have to say, I'm quite satisfied with my initial investment. However, the call quality isn't perfect. In fact, it's not as consistent in quality as Vonage or even my SkypeOut.

If I were to rate the quality, it would be:

1. Vonage
2. SkypeOut
3. FPL

It certainly something people will want to try before they commit. Again, I was happy enough with the quality to ditch Vonage so a big thanks to doltbuster and everyone else who contributed to this thread.
Make sure you have all the correct ports forwarded, and tweak settings for better quality. I have been using it for about 4 months and it works great!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
Shaf wrote: Make sure you have all the correct ports forwarded, and tweak settings for better quality. I have been using it for about 4 months and it works great!
When you say forwarding ports do you mean it's done from my router side? I don't think pap2na has QOS, will it be better to get one with QOS settings?
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
TorontoEh wrote: When you say forwarding ports do you mean it's done from my router side? I don't think pap2na has QOS, will it be better to get one with QOS settings?
Yes, from the router.
Jul 20, 2003
230 posts
25 upvotes
Shaf wrote: Make sure you have all the correct ports forwarded, and tweak settings for better quality. I have been using it for about 4 months and it works great!
I've definitely configured things properly. However, there's a consistency issue. It's not a show stopper or anything like that. Like I said, I was happy enough with FPL to ditch my Vonage.

Come to think of it, FPL's quality is like what Vonage use to be 4-5 years ago. They've since ironed things out and I'm confident that FPL will too.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1398 posts
863 upvotes
I have both FPL and Voip.ms.
For basic line, FPL is a good deal, but if you want all the "B&W" Voip.ms is great. It also has the better voice quality.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1519 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
Hmm guys I need some help. Having some trouble with my FPL recently.

Has anyone experienced this. When making calls, you can hear the person on the other end perfectly fine, but they say they can barely you and it sounds like a lot of static? Basically it works fine for me, but not the person on the other end (they can't hear me very well).

I've tried forwarding ports and setting VOIP to highest priority in QoS in my router, but no luck. Are there any other settings on the actually ATA I can toggle?