• Mar 4th, 2018 12:55 am
Tags:
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4618 posts
1092 upvotes
Richmond Hill
HghSsociety wrote: When does freezer burn occur? Will something like this last a year in the freezer without freezer burn? The best before date on the package is Jan 2019 but won't freezer burn set in long before that?

http://www.janesfamilyfoods.com/en/chic ... oductID/=6
"Freezer burn is a condition that occurs when frozen food has been damaged by dehydration and oxidation, due to air reaching the food. It is generally caused by food not being securely wrapped in air-tight packaging." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezer_burn

So as long as you store the chicken strips securely, it should be fine. Also, I would think you would've consumed them before the year's up...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6263 posts
684 upvotes
BC
If you left it unopened it would be fine until the due date.. but once the package is open the life gets shorter.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16824 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
Keelie wrote: If you left it unopened it would be fine until the due date.. but once the package is open the life gets shorter.
It it necessary to keep the box? It saves a lot of freezer space throwing away the box, plus also, there is a coupon on the Janes box I'd like to use up ASAP.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45823 posts
8822 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
playnicee1 wrote: It it necessary to keep the box? It saves a lot of freezer space throwing away the box, plus also, there is a coupon on the Janes box I'd like to use up ASAP.
Its fine to throw away the box. The box is just for ease of commercial storage. And also protecting the food during transport/storage. The food itself is almost always sealed inside. Very rarely do you ever see food actually stored in the box only.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2110 posts
1532 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
playnicee1 wrote: It it necessary to keep the box? It saves a lot of freezer space throwing away the box, plus also, there is a coupon on the Janes box I'd like to use up ASAP.
You do have to see how the package is sealed. The box does provide protection against freezer burn too.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16824 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Its fine to throw away the box. The box is just for ease of commercial storage. And also protecting the food during transport/storage. The food itself is almost always sealed inside. Very rarely do you ever see food actually stored in the box only.
Macx2mommy wrote: You do have to see how the package is sealed. The box does provide protection against freezer burn too.
Packaging used to include a "ziplock" resealable quality, but, (depending on brand) lately all I see is plastic that has to be torn or cut open with no reseal option.
I wonder why companies stopped offering the easy reseal?
Apr 28, 2014
243 posts
113 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
playnicee1 wrote: Packaging used to include a "ziplock" resealable quality, but, (depending on brand) lately all I see is plastic that has to be torn or cut open with no reseal option.
I wonder why companies stopped offering the easy reseal?
I think (this might be wishful thinking) that it has to do with recycling. A plastic bag can be recycled; a plastic bag with different types of soft and hard plastics with the ziploc might not be able to in all jurisdictions, without being separated first (and who is going to do that).

Those cheap throwaway "zip-locks" on freezer bags have never seemed to seal properly, anyway, and really would allow freezer burn when re-sealed.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16824 posts
3962 upvotes
Toronto
SouthOnt wrote: Those cheap throwaway "zip-locks" on freezer bags have never seemed to seal properly, anyway, and really would allow freezer burn when re-sealed.
Are they recyclable? I thought businesses were just doing things cheaper...