Home & Garden

Freezer too warm? Typical Cause and Repair?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 4:28 pm
[OP]
Sep 19, 2014
490 posts
255 upvotes
Markham, ON

Freezer too warm? Typical Cause and Repair?

I have an Electrolux icon all fridge and freezer. (i.e. the fridge and freezer are stand alone, separate unit, #E32AF85PQ_EG)

The fridge is working fine, but the freezer is only running around -8c (way to warm), no matter what temp setting we put it at. (We tried setting it at -14, -18, -20, etc, the inside temp is still only -8c)

I checked to make sure door shut tight and seal is good, tried turning it off and turning breaker off for few minutes and restarting it, but still same thing even after overnight.

The unit is 5 years old, so well out of warranty
I probably need to get an appliance tech to look at it, but wondering what's the typical cause for this problem
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
Condenser coils dirty? Frost build up?
[OP]
Sep 19, 2014
490 posts
255 upvotes
Markham, ON
mrweather wrote: Condenser coils dirty? Frost build up?
I thought about cleaning the coil, but realize it is at the back of the freezer behind a panel, and it is a huge PITA to get it out since it was done as a built-in fridge, with a trims kit, and leveler to attach with the fridge. (I recall taking hour + to install and put everything in myself few years ago.

Where would the frost build up be at?

Jon Lai wrote: How full is your freezer?
Probably less than half full. Didn't add much extra thing in there or change the way it was used recently.
Jun 5, 2017
182 posts
211 upvotes
At the Circus
This unit does -12C to -23C. If you can only do -8C there is something seriously wrong. Four main possibilities are 1) dirty coils 2) faulty electronic board 3) loss of gas 4) faulty temp sensor. Since it is only half full I would recommend filling up large containers with water and making your freezer as full as possible. Wait at least 48 hours (water becomes ice) to see if there is a change in temp. If it doesn't help then it is likely one of those four mentionned above.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
Make sure the freezer vents are not blocked by food/packaging, that can cause it.

A defrost problem could cause it - ice buildup on the coil reducing airflow and heat transfer.

If it's leaking refrigerant or compressor is going bad, out of warranty repair is not worth it unless it is an expensive, high end fridge.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2014
490 posts
255 upvotes
Markham, ON
cleaned the coil at the bottom of the freezer (it was quite dusty), but didn't improve

unloaded the fridge entirely last night and opened up the cover, there was barely any frost or ice on the evaporator, just a very small amount of ice at the pipe connecting to the evaporator (like a few coffee bean size amount of ice)

I suppose the it is leaking refrigerant or compressor is going bad?

Anyone know where I can find repair tech for this?
I tried calling electrolux to ask for their authorized repair contact, but always get a pre-recorded msg saying they are busy cannot answer ur phone, and just refer to their website for more information (no option to leave msg)
But the website ask to call the phone # for authorized repair center...
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
blackn54 wrote: cleaned the coil at the bottom of the freezer (it was quite dusty), but didn't improve

unloaded the fridge entirely last night and opened up the cover, there was barely any frost or ice on the evaporator, just a very small amount of ice at the pipe connecting to the evaporator (like a few coffee bean size amount of ice)

I suppose the it is leaking refrigerant or compressor is going bad?

Anyone know where I can find repair tech for this?
I tried calling electrolux to ask for their authorized repair contact, but always get a pre-recorded msg saying they are busy cannot answer ur phone, and just refer to their website for more information (no option to leave msg)
But the website ask to call the phone # for authorized repair center...
Coil starved for refrigerant - most likely leaking.
If it's out of warranty, all you need is a company with techs who hold refrigeration licenses, doesn't have to be approved by the manufacturer. There are appliance repair companies that do not handle refrigerants, only deal with the electrical/mechanical side.

Be prepared to spend several hundred dollars.
Repair may not be worth it.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2014
490 posts
255 upvotes
Markham, ON
insertname2020 wrote: Coil starved for refrigerant - most likely leaking.
If it's out of warranty, all you need is a company with techs who hold refrigeration licenses, doesn't have to be approved by the manufacturer. There are appliance repair companies that do not handle refrigerants, only deal with the electrical/mechanical side.

Be prepared to spend several hundred dollars.
Repair may not be worth it.
Yea i figure
but to change the freezer means changing the fridge as well since they are a separate, matching unit
Also I got the freezer/fridge for $1600 each 5 years ago, I just saw the newer model of the same fridge is now $3K each

Anyone has recommendation for company/person that can fix the seal system and refrigerant?