Freezerless fridge 10+ cubic feet

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2021 10:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
125 posts

Freezerless fridge 10+ cubic feet

We already have an upright freezer in our storage room and I’m looking for an “all fridge” to complement it. Not seeing many choices at costco, home depot, etc. Budget hundreds, not thousands
5 replies
Dec 24, 2007
621 posts
988 upvotes
likely impractical for you, but remember you can easily convert a freezer to a (crazy high efficiency) fridge by changing the thermostat. relatively easy procedure, plug and play on most models. google is your friend.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1702 posts
594 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
TrueToy wrote: likely impractical for you, but remember you can easily convert a freezer to a (crazy high efficiency) fridge by changing the thermostat. relatively easy procedure, plug and play on most models. google is your friend.
Just curious why the "likely impractical for him/her". Would it be impractical for me too, and how do I tell?
Dec 24, 2007
621 posts
988 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: Just curious why the "likely impractical for him/her". Would it be impractical for me too, and how do I tell?
a person shopping for a new appliance likely wouldn't consider something they'd need to modify immediately. the reason i'm considering this is my budget is 0 or as close to it as it can be for this project, my beer otherwise sits in my cellar that is 14-16C, but i'd prefer it at 8. old chest freezers are pretty easy to find for free or almost free.

this is a good option for you if you either a) have access to an old freezer at a very low cost or b) want a really efficient fridge (freezers typically have additional insulation)
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
125 posts
Interesting idea about retrofitting a fridge. If I really can’t find anything I might consider that ; I could buy a new Frigidaire upright freezer from Costco for 749 and then convert my existing freezer to a fridge. Last resort, though.

Corbeil and Sears canada seem to be out of business.