• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2018 5:41 pm
[OP]
Aug 12, 2012
849 posts
416 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Freezing meat before or after cooking?

What would you do? I picked up the 2-pack of pork shoulders from Costco for smoking and turning into pulled pork. Would I be better off smoking both now and freezing 1 of them to pull and consume later, or freezing it raw? The total pack is about 7.5lbs which I'm guessing will yield about 4lbs of cooked meat. Short of hosting an RFD bbq, my little family won't go through that much pulled pork in time.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11214 posts
6200 upvotes
Markham
You can do either. Having said that, if you freeze it raw, you have to cook twice.

For you, I would cook both, pull and then freeze family size portions and individual size portions in vac sealed bags and freeze....make sure you label date cooked and date frozen and date use by.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5009 posts
2194 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Are you going to smoke from raw? If so, I would suggest freezing after. If you are going to braise or cook with wet heat before smoking, either.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Aug 12, 2012
849 posts
416 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gr8dlr wrote: You can do either. Having said that, if you freeze it raw, you have to cook twice.

For you, I would cook both, pull and then freeze family size portions and individual size portions in vac sealed bags and freeze....make sure you label date cooked and date frozen and date use by.
Thanks! This is what I was thinking as well. The RFD'er in me wasn't liking the idea of using all those wood pellets for 2 separate cooking sessions. Good points on adding the labels too.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11214 posts
6200 upvotes
Markham
Frank311 wrote: Thanks! This is what I was thinking as well. The RFD'er in me wasn't liking the idea of using all those wood pellets for 2 separate cooking sessions. Good points on adding the labels too.
Forgot to add...consider picking some random dates on the calendar as to when you're going to pull out and eat that pulled pork. Can't tell you how many times, I find stuff in there two years later!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3681 posts
1511 upvotes
Mississauga
Cook fresh and then freeze. Easier that way since you wont have to wait for the meat to thaw out again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
I'd smoke the lot at at once. If you freeze it in sauce it is more protected from freezerburn than if you freeze shreds without sauce. Less surface area. Also I'd do all individual serving size because it's faster to thaw 4 single serves than one big frozen chunk of 4 servings.

I've given up on labels that fall off in the freezer and marking dates on containers that I end up reusing. It's better to have a recipe diary (or spreadsheet/calendar) to mark down when you've made a batch of something.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6414 posts
3435 upvotes
Aurora
Definitely smoke and pull before and freeze after. It's a pain in the neck when you have an itch for pulled pork and then have to wait for the shoulder to defrost, then applying the dry rub and waiting more, then smoking. Pulled pork freezes and thaws very well with no ill effects as far as I can tell.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Forgot to add...consider picking some random dates on the calendar as to when you're going to pull out and eat that pulled pork. Can't tell you how many times, I find stuff in there two years later!
perfectly edible so long as it stayed frozen.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6172 posts
570 upvotes
BC
Its always best right off the smoker... I freeze mine raw.
That's my 2cents worth