Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Freight forwarding from Toronto port to Ottawa address (shipment from China)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 11:57 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2013
332 posts
147 upvotes

Freight forwarding from Toronto port to Ottawa address (shipment from China)

I have one 350-400 lbs package set to be ordered from a Chinese supplier and they've given me a price that includes shipping to a Toronto port.

I'm in Ottawa. So where do I go from here in terms of getting that package from that Toronto port, to my address in Ottawa?

Apparently it's not as simple as just paying another shipping charge from Toronto to Ottawa. I've seen options where I can pay someone to take care of this entire process for me, although I'd rather not spend a few extra hundreds on that.

I know that part of the process involves having to pay for import taxes or duty. Would I do anything in advance of its arrival, in terms of having forms ready, to take care of that payment? Or would I only know upon its arrival? I'm assuming I'd have a tracking number, and I'd check to see when it arrives in Toronto. Would I be contacted by phone or e-mail by someone to proceed?

I've also read about having to clear the package from customs. Where would I begin to do that and could I have this ready in advance? Would CBSA answer my questions and direct me to the right places/forms if I called them?

Lastly, if I'm missing anything regards to some other paperwork or step in this process, please let me know... But the other factor I'm thinking of is the shipping from Toronto to Ottawa. Would I reach out to FedEx/DHL/UPS to ship it to me? Would someone at the Toronto port give me options to ship it to me? Or are there cheaper options out there from a smaller company?

Thanks and please forgive me for my ignorance on this subject. I didn't anticipate this to be as multi-faceted as it seems to be.
6 replies
[OP]
Jan 20, 2013
332 posts
147 upvotes
I reached out to an agent who estimated that if I use their services for this process, it could cost me another $1,000. That's insane.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4887 upvotes
Here 'n There
Clear it yourself, then hire a trucking co to ship it. Google is your friend here.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2360 upvotes
Receiving any Chinese cargo shipment will only go to one of the four Canadian ports: Halifax, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Wouldn't shipping it to Montreal be cheaper than Toronto? As eonibm already mentioned, you can clear it yourself and pick it up with a rental of a pickup truck. Is this a commercial shipment?
[OP]
Jan 20, 2013
332 posts
147 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Receiving any Chinese cargo shipment will only go to one of the four Canadian ports: Halifax, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Wouldn't shipping it to Montreal be cheaper than Toronto? As eonibm already mentioned, you can clear it yourself and pick it up with a rental of a pickup truck. Is this a commercial shipment?
You're right, it would make sense since Montreal is closer to Ottawa than Toronto. As long as, a) the supplier's shipping quote wouldn't change, and b) I don't have to pay the higher Quebec taxes on the import, then I would definitely look into doing that instead. I couldn't pick it up myself from the port due to various personal driving restrictions (doubt a friend/family member would be available to help too) so I'd definitely need to have it shipped from the port to my doorstep.

I'm actively looking into the various processes and documents required to clear it myself.
Aug 8, 2005
514 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure what your driving restrictions are, but shipping to Montreal and renting a van for a day would be easiest. You could have it home in a few hours at very little cost (van + some gas)

If it can fit into an SUV maybe see if a neighbour or friend will go grab it for you for some $$$
Sep 25, 2003
271 posts
73 upvotes
Scarborough
RFD search is your friend.

Check out post #11 in this thread, by wifitester:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/importi ... o-2100926/

Being in Ottawa, he arranged shipment to Montreal port and cleared / picked it up himself. You may be able to arrange for the shipping company to truck it to you in Ottawa.