• Jul 2nd, 2020 12:50 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
355 posts
648 upvotes
NORTH, Canada

Freight + PDI on a Demo vehicle?

A dealer in BC is selling a demo vehicle with over 10,000km It was used by an employee. They still want to tack on freight and PDI on top of the taxes. Is this standard or normal practice?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27581 posts
12654 upvotes
Toronto
Speak with your wallet. You can choose to buy your car elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3972 posts
1369 upvotes
GTA
When they give you the paperwork with those charges tacked on just use white out to take them off and adjust the final price yourself Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11192 posts
3456 upvotes
Toronto
This is a big KM for a demo car...

Not sure in BC, but Ontario, they dont charge freight PDi on demo cars, some dealers still charge it tho and try to make a few extra buck from innocent customers.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 19, 2017
415 posts
116 upvotes
a dealer tried to do the same with me in Quebec two years ago. i bought my car from another dealer.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2011
355 posts
648 upvotes
NORTH, Canada
Yeah it’s big mileage for a “demo” for sure, as it was used by a manager as their personal vehicle for 2/3 of a year.
I think it’s total bs and I wouldn’t take a deal where I am paying for that but I am curious as to why they think it’s even plausible/acceptable to add on those charges.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2468 posts
1725 upvotes
Markham
RaiderX wrote: I think it’s total bs and I wouldn’t take a deal where I am paying for that but I am curious as to why they think it’s even plausible/acceptable to add on those charges.
Its preying on the ignorant, car buying is a totally different world than even car fandom, its why I rarely venture into car finance threads. Effectively they're testing the buyer, I suspect enough buyers would catch at least this...its definitely possible to find someone even more naive about car buying or perhaps they're charmed by their salesman. Typically the fees they hit people on and get far less push back are the fees that are seemingly reasonable like admin fee, licensing fee or a fee disguised as a tax.

Probably the easiest target would actually be the foreigners. They're the ones least likely to understand car buying world in North America even more so if the industry is actually more upfront in their home country.