None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver

French Restaurant in Vancouver?

I never been to a french restaurant before and would like to try one out.

Are there any restaurants in Downtown that serves foie gras and souffle? Would a foie gras and souffle will be enough for a meal? What other stuff is usually eaten in a french restaurant?

And what is the average cost of a meal without any alcohol? Do people eat foie gras and souffle for lunch?
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1799 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
lol, thanks for the inputs. I think i still need more suggestions

And yeah, silly me. I changed the icon back to GVR. I dont know what I was smoking but I thought the GTA was a GVA.
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
There are a few french restaurants in West Van that are very recommendable. L'emotion is my favourite. It's on Marine Drive in West Van, quite a drive, more than halfway to the lighthouse park.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1160 posts
20 upvotes
North Vancouver
deals4j wrote:If you can afford it, Lumière is always good ;)
No disrespect intended - but Lumiere is a joke and over-rated - and not what would be considered French Cuisine. It's got be the most prententious place in town that doesn't serve up any thing special other than the high prices.

The tables are too crowded, service is mediocre and food is okay at best.

And, this isn't coming from a cheap guy that spent his entire pay cheque there - we've spent more in better restaurants ($460 USD for two) and at least walked out not feeling ripped off.

On the original post... try Pastis on 4th & Arbutus or Cafe de Paris on Denman. One is new and the other has been around forever - and can you order Fois Gras for lunch - hell yeah, bring it on. It's your meal, order whatever you want.
Nov 28, 2003
326 posts
YVR
deals4j wrote:If you can afford it, Lumière is always good ;)
Lumière isn't really a french restaurant, the only thing that's french is the name. also, it's not downtown.
Nov 28, 2003
326 posts
YVR
Asun wrote:There are a few french restaurants in West Van that are very recommendable. L'emotion is my favourite. It's on Marine Drive in West Van, quite a drive, more than halfway to the lighthouse park.
L'emotion is good. :)
Dec 27, 2003
179 posts
6 upvotes
Try Salade de Fruits, they are a French cafe and bistro. They are located at the French Cultural Centre at Granville @ W 7th and the waitress does speak French.

Their website is at: http://www.saladedefruits.com/

Fantastic food too!! They have both a menu and a map to their location to their website if you're interested.

lol it looks like their holiday season began 2 days ago so they will be closed till Feb. 1st... but well worth it!!! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1160 posts
20 upvotes
North Vancouver
lilazncanadian wrote:Try Salade de Fruits, they are a French cafe and bistro. They are located at the French Cultural Centre at Granville @ W 7th and the waitress does speak French.

Their website is at: http://www.saladedefruits.com/

Fantastic food too!! They have both a menu and a map to their location to their website if you're interested.
Damn, this place is a block away and I totally forgot about it - an excellent 2 thumbs up choice for a restaurant - great menu, great prices and great people.

Not a place you'll find fois gras, but their Steak Frites is excellent - lunch for two is very reasonable, bordering on cheap - I think they have a Tablé D'ote <sp?> for dinner for around $20 a person.

I would describe this place as French, but they don't seem to use a ton of the classic complex sauces.

Worth trying
Nov 3, 2003
113 posts
2 upvotes
Take this any way you like...

Best Formal French Results
1. Lumière, (82 points)
2551 W. Broadway, 604-739-8185

2. Le Crocodile, (80 points)
100-909 Burrard St., 604-669-4298

3. Le Gavroche, (53 points)
1616 Alberni, 604-685-3924

4. Bacchus, (45 points)
845 Hornby St., 604-689-7777

5. L’Emotion, (31 points)
4368 Marine Dr.,West Van., 604-926-1063
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3471 posts
821 upvotes
from people ive spoken to, they recommend le crocodile and le gavroche.