• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 2:46 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes

French Toast seasonings

do you know of a commercial seasoning for french toast or have a mix of spices for that perfect flavour? not looking for anything fancy just maybe a little something something beside salt or pepper. e.g. cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, vanilla extract, ...i know i know I'm living dangerously.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
You can add maple sugar, instead of regular sugar. I have also used a bit of condensed milk as well. Other than that, you pretty well have used the most common and typical ingredients for french toast making.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
You don't need to add salt and pepper to your French toast. That detracts from the flavour.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Raggie wrote: You don't need to add salt and pepper to your French toast. That detracts from the flavour.
Yes, yuck - I've never seen salt and pepper on French toast.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Chickinvic wrote: Yes, yuck - I've never seen salt and pepper on French toast.

Yeah, french toast is a sweet food. Think of pancakes.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Raggie wrote: Yeah, french toast is a sweet food. Think of pancakes.
That is how I have always served it. With syrup or fruit toppings and whipped cream, etc.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
The first time my wife made French toast for me, she garnished it with olive oil, parsley, onions and garlic. She said that's how they do it where she's from. I was pretty horrified, expecting butter and maple syrup. But it was really good!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: The first time my wife made French toast for me, she garnished it with olive oil, parsley, onions and garlic. She said that's how they do it where she's from. I was pretty horrified, expecting butter and maple syrup. But it was really good!
vegan style, it must be Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Good for your heart.
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
With the holiday season, add eggnog
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I have never seen or looked for commercial French toast topping, but make it all the time. Both sweet and savory (which my kids actually prefer).

Regular French toast toppings (use one, all, or any combination
- fruit
- whipped cream
- yogurt
- peanut butter
- jam/fruit compote
- cinnamon/maple sugar
- maple sugar
- nutella

We actually make French toast sandwiches/ stuffed French toast, which are REALLY good.
- Monte Cristos - ham, cheese, turkey, then dread the bread and fry
- Make the French toast, put Cream cheese, Jam/compote, then redip the whole sandwich and fry again
- Maple bacon sandwiches, with a slice of swisse, it's really good
- Turkey dinner, turkey, cranberry dressing cooked like the monte cristo
- Roast beef, rosemary, with blueberry compote same as the Monte cristo
- Peanut butter and bananas and Nutella stuffed like the cream cheese one

I really love stuff French toast sandwiches.

One other tip I learned for all my French toast is to put a little baking powder with a pinch of salt in the egg to get an extra fluffy mixture.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
745 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: The first time my wife made French toast for me, she garnished it with olive oil, parsley, onions and garlic. She said that's how they do it where she's from. I was pretty horrified, expecting butter and maple syrup. But it was really good!
People are socially conditioned to think of "french toast" as a sweet food. In reality its slices of bread soaked in eggs before frying.

Bread and egg on it's own can be a savory food. You can even have sunny side up egg placed on top of toast and that's a very valid savory food. But suddenly if you whip the eggs and soak the bread in to coat it before frying it, that end product has to be a sweet food despite the same ingredients as the savory egg on toast used in a different form.

I can see where french toast might taste good in savory form. If you've never had a problem with eggs on toast, then savory french toast will probably not be off putting. What savory ingredients are good with eggs and bread? I guess anything breakfast style that you might mix in an omlette. So mushrooms, tomatoes, ham, bacon, etc. Just need to get over the social conditioning as to how you were programmed that keeps telling you "this is wrong".
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
nutmeg, touch of lemon extract, touch of vanilla = cake donut flavour
almond extract, rosewater = marzipan flavour

You add that to the batter though, top with Liberté Méditerranée yogurt

My buddy is a salt, pepper, ketchup kinda guy.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
ai_c wrote: With the holiday season, add eggnog
or 'nog spice which is nutmeg
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
French toast in my household is served with salt and ketchup. In the UK it's a savory dish, just bread dipped in egg and fried. Wasn't until I moved to Canada that I came across the concept of it being a sweet dish.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I add vanilla and cinnamon to the egg and serve with maple syrup, every time.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
you can have them sweet, have them savoury...how about one step further and have them sweet and savoury at the same time, much like fried chicken and waffles?
Fried Chicken with French Toast and Apples
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ShoNuff2 wrote: you can have them sweet, have them savoury...how about one step further and have them sweet and savoury at the same time, much like fried chicken and waffles?
Fried Chicken with French Toast and Apples
We LOVE sweet and savoury at the same time. I have had chicken and waffles many times, I don’t know why I didn't think of French toast. I also love that your recipe uses brioche
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Raggie wrote: You don't need to add salt and pepper to your French toast. That detracts from the flavour.
Even if you want a traditional sweet french toast, try a little salt. It adds to the flavour, not detracts from it. A little salt in sweet foods accentuates what is there without making it salty. This is true of most cooking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)