• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 11:24 am
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
139 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Frequent hardware upgrades on Consoles makes no sense

I have used my Xbox 360 for almost 8 years before Xbox one was released. The earlier games vs the games released after 2010 was significantly better looking graphics despite that it was the same hard ware. But within 3 years we already had three different consoles from Xbox along with Playstation which I find pretty ridiculous. You no longer get the value for your money and it has started to become like a PC/Smartphone war where every year or so something newer or better comes out and the excuse is that it has better hardware. Due to this very fact I am even hesitant to invest in a console because very soon it will have diminish value.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5979 posts
1626 upvotes
Milton
GameOfPhones wrote: Due to this very fact I am even hesitant to invest in a console because very soon it will have diminish value.
same inherent issue with pc gaming. to keep up with the 'max settings' on new games, you will need to buy the latest and greatest gpu
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
139 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
spena wrote: same inherent issue with pc gaming. to keep up with the 'max settings' on new games, you will need to buy the latest and greatest gpu
I honestly think this is just an excuse by them. I recently played Metal Gear Phantom pain on my xbox 360 and it looks significantly better to the release date games of Xbox 360 despite the fact that its 8 year old hardware. Which begs the question the developers can optimize things on their end with changing times without having to push users to buy latest and greatest hardware.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1878 posts
347 upvotes
North York
Well for this gen, these are mid cycle upgrades that are completely optional. You don't need to buy them unless you want the extra fidelity or framerate improvements.

Every game will work on these new and launch systems.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6221 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
different strokes for different folks.

Personally I like more options, nobody is forcing you to buy the latest and greatest and its nice that we aren't getting stuck with old technology like the PS3/xbox 360 era. I also know a few folks who reluctantly upgrade from a 360/PS3 only because everyone else had upgrade and they couldnt play with their the rest of us. These types of console refresh are a bit refreshing as it doesn't segregate players and games and we dont have to spend years waiting for old features to come through.

Its nice to have options.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10913 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
I see nothing wrong with a 5 or even 8 year lifespan cycle for a new machine.

Video gaming (as long as its properly coordinated) is probably one of the cheapest forms of entertainment available other than buying a basketball and walking outside.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
139 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
spawn582 wrote: Well for this gen, these are mid cycle upgrades that are completely optional. You don't need to buy them unless you want the extra fidelity or framerate improvements.

Every game will work on these new and launch systems.
Until they decide to stop supporting older consoles with system updates and game compatibility -- no different than what smartphone manufacturers do right now. Whats stopping them from saying X software update will not be available to original Xbox one console and this and that game will not run it going forward?
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
139 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
thechampion116 wrote: I see nothing wrong with a 5 or even 8 year lifespan cycle for a new machine.

Video gaming (as long as its properly coordinated) is probably one of the cheapest forms of entertainment available other than buying a basketball and walking outside.
3 consoles in the last 4 years (xbox one, xbox s, xbox x) not to mention Playstation 4, playstation pro and their upcoming console.
Aug 20, 2009
9201 posts
4567 upvotes
The Xbox One S was really a sidegrade. The Pro and Xbox One X are more of mid cycle upgrades. Ultimately they are trying to go after the high margin consumers who will stay on the bleeding edge. There's nothing forcing you or anyone else to upgrade. In fact I would argue that games will continue catering to the mass market consumer and so that's where the majority of the effort will go. They will throw a few bells and whistles at the high end crowds but those people will remain a minority until the price point hits $350ish. 2 out of every 10 PS4s sold is a Pro. Don't worry, you won't be left behind.

The tail end of a console generation is always painful as devs are fully leveraging the specs and stretching things to the limit. If a mid cycle upgrade lets someone with disposable income not worry about that then who cares. Ultimately the market will bear it or they will push too hard and consumers will punish them for it. Mistakes in the hardware segment are dangerous.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15103 posts
11835 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's to prevent hackers from hacking into your consoles.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9447 posts
6903 upvotes
Toronto
GameOfPhones wrote: I have used my Xbox 360 for almost 8 years before Xbox one was released. The earlier games vs the games released after 2010 was significantly better looking graphics despite that it was the same hard ware.
you're conveniently leaving out the fact that many of those late gen Xbox 360 and PS3 games with better graphics also performed like complete ass and were shells of what those games would end up being on PS4 and X1 nevermind PC (GTA V the most glaring example off the top of my head). Many people including myself hated that we were stuck with blatantly downgraded games with awful framerates. I got so frustrated with 360/PS3 performance that I made the jump to PC in 2012 and never looked back.

At least the X1X and PS Pro are giving console gamers options so they aren't forced to endure poor performing games like we had towards the end of the 360/PS3 lifespan. If the performance of those late gen 360/PS3 games never bothered you in the first place then you probably don't need to worry about upgrading to a X1X or PS Pro and will be fine with the base models.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1880 upvotes
OP i'm probably gonna upgrade from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080 ti. Come at me bro.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10572 posts
4800 upvotes
I like having more options available.
I would prefer if Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo moved on to the next-gen hardware (PS5, XBox 2, a Premium Switch) next year or sometime sooner.

XBox One X and PS4 Pro are there for those that want better performance, improved graphics, faster loading times, etc... that comes with the extra power.
The Slim models have already replaced the original base models of the launch XBox One and PS4.
That is just an improvement in manufacturing processes (although some aspects were cut from the PS4 Slim over the original PS4).

Cell phones get refreshes every year but you probably know some people that get the latest phone model upgrade yearly.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2203 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
OP, this is a faulty argument. But I've seen people share similar sentiments before.

My thoughts:

1. The original PS4 and Xbox One can still play all existing and upcoming games efficiently.

2. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are not a new console cycle similar to the PS3 to PS4 or Xbox 360 to Xbox One.

3. Of course, technology is going to diminish in value. When has it not?

4. The Xbox 360 and PS3's long lifespan was an anomaly. Traditionally, new hardware came out on an average of 4-5 years.

5. Sony has no "upcoming console". There are rumours of a PS5 launching in 2018 or 2019. Which is well within the traditional time frame.

6. Publishers want to cater to a high install base. They will ensure that the games run smoothly on the OG PS4 and Xbox One. Also, AAA games will still release on the PS4 and Xbox One after their next generation successors come out.

7. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will extend this hardware cycle as they are 4K and HDR ready.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
4544 posts
1258 upvotes
Markham
If you think the PS4 Pro and XBox One X is too soon, look at what Nintendo is doing with the whole 3DS/2DS line. Every few months you get a new version. With 3D, without 3D, regular and XL. I would not be surprised if there's a new Switch announced with the next yearwith minor changes (improved battery and faster processor when docked via Tegra X2).

PS5 and XBox 2 isn't far off either.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10913 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
GameOfPhones wrote: 3 consoles in the last 4 years (xbox one, xbox s, xbox x) not to mention Playstation 4, playstation pro and their upcoming console.
You only need to own one of those I would argue. There is no need to have Ps4 and a Xbox unless you can afford it and S, Scorpio or Pro are NOT REQUIRED.
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
OP is conveniently forgetting that the previous generation also had the "Slim" variants. The enhanced hardware versions (XBox One X, PS4 Pro) though, are definitely a new thing. Anyhow, as others have said, they're not necessary. Don't want them, don't buy them. Won't prevent you from playing anything.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
This thread makes no sense...

From a console manufacturer point of view, frequent hardware upgrades makes a lot of sense. It saves them the R&D costs of having to build a new system from the ground up. Now they can make incremental improvements to squeeze out more power. Manufacturing is probably also easier, since some of the parts are likely reused from the previous version of the console. It also means that there is no fragmentation with the userbase, which is bound to happen when people switch generations.

For game developers, while it might mean that they have to consider how to make their games for multiple tiers, at least they're still coding within the same system framework. Unlike when we switched last time, where there were games created for multiple generations, and some had to cut out features in order to port from one gen to another. (ie Shadow of Mordor on previous gen didn't have Nemesis system IIRC)

For consumers, hardware upgrades make perfect sense. You have more choice, and you're not suddenly faced with an obsolete console. The games and peripherals you own will work if you do decide to upgrade to a higher tier console, and you can still play online with your friends.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3614 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
GameOfPhones wrote: Due to this very fact I am even hesitant to invest in a console because very soon it will have diminish value.
not sure there was ever a time when a console was an investment !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)