Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fresh Co

$5.99 Highliner Signature or Pan Sear FISH 500-750g (Thurs.-Sun.) YMMV FIRST ITEM ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE FLYER!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2020 9:37 pm
Mar 9, 2010
966 posts
1320 upvotes
HRM, NS
Figman2 wrote: What's product of?

A while back, I saw Captain Highliner Salmon - Product of China. Since then, I haven't looked at this brand.
Some of the fish is sourced from overseas due to lack of availability in North America. The product is then processed in Canada and is a top quality product.

This is a great deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1838 posts
2039 upvotes
This price seems like it should be regular price.. It's over $1/ piece for some of the flavours.

Would never buy this at the 12.99 price or whatever it is for 4-6 pieces of frozen fish.
Wallet safe...
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote: This price seems like it should be regular price.. It's over $1/ piece for some of the flavours.

Would never buy this at the 12.99 price or whatever it is for 4-6 pieces of frozen fish.
Highliner Pan Sear does not have a thick layer of greasy batter that makes up half the packaged weight and size - - it's pretty much straight fish meat.

If you think that 2-3 dollars for a fish fillet nowadays is expensive, then you likely aren't in charge of your family grocery budget.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
Regent Park FreshCo there's a noticeable hole on the shelves where the Salmon Pan Sear should be (lots of the other three varieties)
Jan 22, 2018
331 posts
384 upvotes
I got a box of Highliner tempura battered fish couple weeks back. Fish was super reconstituted (think fish balls) and I think it was 60% batter,40% fish. Ymmv
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1514 posts
1622 upvotes
Canada
charve2000 wrote: YMMV.
I found these $2 off peel-off coupons stuck to some boxes while price matching at Superstore.

IMG_20200227_082429.jpg
Thanks. Price matched at No Frills and some boxes had that coupon on the box
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
BaiLoSellHi wrote: I got a box of Highliner tempura battered fish couple weeks back. Fish was super reconstituted (think fish balls) and I think it was 60% batter,40% fish. Ymmv
Then maybe you should try this product and not compare it to something completely different.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
goodking wrote: Highliner Pan Sear does not have a thick layer of greasy batter that makes up half the packaged weight and size - - it's pretty much straight fish meat.

If you think that 2-3 dollars for a fish fillet nowadays is expensive, then you likely aren't in charge of your family grocery budget.
This.
You are paying for ~1lb of cod / haddock here. I dont know about you, but I am a hard time finding cod/haddock for that price. And this is already nicely spiced and pretty good tasting.
Jan 22, 2018
331 posts
384 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Then maybe you should try this product and not compare it to something completely different.
The goal was to point out the fact that Highliner is a crappy company that sells garbage, the quality of their other products definitely reflects the quality of this product, no?
Also, Highliner Signature is the battered fish, so the OP isnt just talking about pansear
Aug 28, 2004
319 posts
382 upvotes
Figman2 wrote: What's product of?

A while back, I saw Captain Highliner Salmon - Product of China. Since then, I haven't looked at this brand.
I always worry about this also, but the website breaks this down quite well. Caught elsewhere, cleaned and packaged in China. https://highliner.com/#!en/FAQ
Images
  • 308B005D-31C6-4A9B-AEDE-61BC993726AE.png
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1838 posts
2039 upvotes
goodking wrote: Highliner Pan Sear does not have a thick layer of greasy batter that makes up half the packaged weight and size - - it's pretty much straight fish meat.

Actually, I do buy for my family. Not sure why not knowing the market price for tilapia makes me otherwise.

If you think it’s ok to pay regular price for this then go ahead.
Wallet safe...
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
Figman2 wrote: A while back, I saw Captain Highliner Salmon - Product of China. Since then, I haven't looked at this brand.
I currently have three boxes of Highliner Pan-Sear in the freezer, and they all say:

"Made in Canada from domestic and imported ingredients."

The Haddock box says it is "Wild caught in the North Atlantic ocean."
The Sole box says it is "Wild caught in the North Pacific and North Atlantic oceans."
The Cod box says it is "Wild caught in the North Pacific and North Atlantic oceans."
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
PMed with RCSS and got to use the instant $2 coupons on box... was going to save for later purchases [coupons good until about July] but cashier PMed and applied coupons!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
georvu wrote: PMed with RCSS and got to use the instant $2 coupons on box... was going to save for later purchases [coupons good until about July] but cashier PMed and applied coupons!!
just did the same thing, but after i left I realized she put the price as $4.99 and took off the coupons! so got 6 boxes for $2.99 each!
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
riseagainstthemachine wrote: just did the same thing, but after i left I realized she put the price as $4.99 and took off the coupons! so got 6 boxes for $2.99 each!
Even better!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Feb 14, 2017
420 posts
276 upvotes
I got the cod and salmon. Tried the cod the other day, was pretty good! Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1757 posts
1270 upvotes
Burnaby
jrs101 wrote: I always worry about this also, but the website breaks this down quite well. Caught elsewhere, cleaned and packaged in China. https://highliner.com/#!en/FAQ
highliner.jpg
There's no reason they couldn't have stopped at the chart.
They've just given me a very good reason to not purchase this "highliner" brand.

Any recommendations anyone?
I always liked breaded fish, but don't know which brand has enough fish in it.
I tried the brand "AquaStar" where they used sole fish, but the slice were too thin for my liking.
Nov 28, 2009
775 posts
754 upvotes
Pickering
spiritsBB wrote: There's no reason they couldn't have stopped at the chart.
They've just given me a very good reason to not purchase this "highliner" brand.

Any recommendations anyone?
I always liked breaded fish, but don't know which brand has enough fish in it.
I tried the brand "AquaStar" where they used sole fish, but the slice were too thin for my liking.
It's real easy to buy filets and bread them yourself, doesnt take long at all. That's what I do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)