• May 30th, 2021 3:57 pm
[OP]
May 1, 2004
771 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal

Fridge died. Looking for recommendations

Hi all,

My 14 year old LG fridge died and looking for recommendations. There’s a descent Hisense one at Costco, but I’m hesitant on the brand and saw some bad reviews of people complaining about having issues only a year after. Any recommendations on brand/model? I’m looking for a model with a freezer in the bottom and no water or ice maker option. It will need to be 30-33” wide and 69” tall.

Thanks.
16 replies
[OP]
May 1, 2004
771 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks to those who chimed in. I didn’t know that Amana was made in the USA. As for getting another LG, I have nothing against it if the price is right.

I can’t help but notice that both of you are going to Home Depot. Any reason why? They have the best pricing?

Guess it’s time to shop around then.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15535 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
bobmtb wrote: Thanks to those who chimed in. I didn’t know that Amana was made in the USA. As for getting another LG, I have nothing against it if the price is right.

I can’t help but notice that both of you are going to Home Depot. Any reason why? They have the best pricing?

Guess it’s time to shop around then.
With home depot, you can find the best price for a Canadian retailer for an item, and they will beat that price by another 10% (not 10% of the difference). You can also check Lowes as they too are pretty competitive.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1014 posts
167 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you sure it's actually dead? our LG one had a bad relay switch. Only costed me $25 for a new one from amazon get it working. I found out that LG has their own contracted service techs and can be unscrupulous. Tried to make us replace the whole compressor at the same time. I would lean towards the North American brands just for serviceability.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
audentis Fortuna iuvat
[OP]
May 1, 2004
771 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
SamInfinity wrote: Are you sure it's actually dead? our LG one had a bad relay switch. Only costed me $25 for a new one from amazon get it working. I found out that LG has their own contracted service techs and can be unscrupulous. Tried to make us replace the whole compressor at the same time. I would lean towards the North American brands just for serviceability.
Yes. Pretty confident that the compressor is dead. I already filled it a couple of times with R134a and extended its life by about 2 years. I think it’s time to give up on it.
Jun 2, 2006
880 posts
286 upvotes
Mississauga
bobmtb wrote: I didn’t know that Amana was made in the USA.
Not all Amana’s fridges are made in the USA. Only some models. So you have to check.

Also, from research, pretty much all fridge brands (including high end ones) have poor longevity. Especially the more fancy features it has, the more likelyhood it will give you problems in the future.

Fridge repair guy told me most fridges last about 8-10 years. They don’t make them like them use too.

So don’t go wasting more money thinking it will last longer. Go in knowing you will probably have to replace it again in 8-10 years (although the simpler Amana’s from the USA do tend to have a good reputation to last longer).
[OP]
May 1, 2004
771 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
babybudha wrote: Not all Amana’s fridges are made in the USA. Only some models. So you have to check.

Also, from research, pretty much all fridge brands (including high end ones) have poor longevity. Especially the more fancy features it has, the more likelyhood it will give you problems in the future.

Fridge repair guy told me most fridges last about 8-10 years. They don’t make them like them use too.

So don’t go wasting more money thinking it will last longer. Go in knowing you will probably have to replace it again in 8-10 years (although the simpler Amana’s from the USA do tend to have a good reputation to last longer).
Thanks. Yeah, that’s what I figure too. Gone are the days we’re a fridge would last 20+ years like my parents. I short, spend the least possible for the options I want and expect it to last 10 years at most.

Sounds like a plan then.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bobmtb wrote: Thanks. Yeah, that’s what I figure too. Gone are the days we’re a fridge would last 20+ years like my parents. I short, spend the least possible for the options I want and expect it to last 10 years at most.

Sounds like a plan then.
Nowadays, they want you to keep buying every 8 years or so...

A lot of these appliances are made in the same factory and different nameplates tossed on them. It's difficult to know which 'brand' is better now, due to this. Read reviews and see what comes out on top. The old idea of a fridge lasting a long time is gone... I've read that the fewer options you have, the better you will be. Ice makers, computer gadgets and stuff are just more things to go wrong. I like my fridge to be cold and open/close, that's all I'm willing to pay for. Why do you need a clock/timer/automatic ice maker for anyway?

"Made in America" and "Made in Canada" may not be what you think it is. My buddy works at the Chrysler plant and some of the parts are "outsourced" and come pre-assembled from China. It's still "Made in Canada" though... a certain percentage I guess.

If you look at some of the newer fridges at the store, the Stainless Steel models... many have a super thin sheet of SS over top, I couldn't believe how cheap they looked when I inspected last year. I was totally shocked. If they can skimp and ask the same price as the previous year, they will.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2758 posts
2519 upvotes
Whitby
Paddys market in durham is good. They come get old one and drop off and setup new one.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3694 posts
1229 upvotes
Edmonton
bobmtb wrote: Yes. Pretty confident that the compressor is dead. I already filled it a couple of times with R134a and extended its life by about 2 years. I think it’s time to give up on it.
Clearly you aren't doing it right.
Do you have an ozone protection cert?
You are not legally allowed to fill it with r134a without making sure it has no leaks. Filling it a couple times = you haven't fixed the leaks, you just pumped it in just like other hacks doing half assed jobs. You can rebuild a compressor but make sure you do a proper pressure and vacuum text on it
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2227 posts
1772 upvotes
GTA
stannum wrote: Just want to say thanks for this, toronto public library also allows access!
Sorry for going off topic but remember everyone: you can get a library membership for the region where you work.
e.g. I dont live in Toronto but I have a library card because I work there. I access Consumer reports for free that way.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/usi ... cation.jsp
Non-residents who work, go to school, or own property in Toronto
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7360 posts
1236 upvotes
Alberta
I only got 4 years out of my Whirpool fridge. Replaced it with Frigidaire.

Dave
Jun 11, 2017
280 posts
703 upvotes
Consumer Reports likes

LG for Fridges and Washer/Dryers
Bosch for Dishwashers