• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2016 8:45 am
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton

Fridge problem: no drinking water

I have a Frigidaire brand fridge with a water dispenser and ice maker. Its been a year since I changed the water filter due to cost, about $60. I went ahead and bought water from a water depot instead which was cheaper. Now the fridge water and ice maker ain't working. So is the filter clogged? Is there a way of making it work without the filter? If I open the back of the fridge can I by-pass the filter and just use tap water? Buying filters at about $60 each is quite expensive, I now buy from a water depot since I already have a stand for the big jugs. The water from the depot tastes better than the water from the fridge too.

But is there a way to by-pass the water filter in the fridge?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
My Whirlpool fridge came with a plug to screw into where you normally install the filter. It's to be used if you want to bypass the filter. I've kept it and labelled it because years from now, I would have forgotten what it was for.

Are you the original owner of the fridge? Maybe you kept the part? Otherwise, you can check Reliable Parts or Amre Supply for a bypass (look up your fridge model #).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
jm1 wrote: My Whirlpool fridge came with a plug to screw into where you normally install the filter. It's to be used if you want to bypass the filter. I've kept it and labelled it because years from now, I would have forgotten what it was for.
I think that plug closes off the water inlet stopping the water. The bypass replaces the filter, water still flows through...its just not filtered. As I posted you can make a bypass, probably join the tubes supply the filter and running out of it easily enough.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Zamboni wrote: I think that plug closes off the water inlet stopping the water. The bypass replaces the filter, water still flows through...its just not filtered. As I posted you can make a bypass, probably join the tubes supply the filter and running out of it easily enough.
No, with Whirlpool, it definitely just bypasses the filter. Water flows normally. I know OP has a different make, but only mentioned it because a bypass may have been included with the fridge originally and he may have forgotten about it.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
if you look at the back of the fridge where the water is coming into the fridge, you'll see an manifold type thing. bets is that, the actuator in there is busted and needs to be replaced. Mine went and replaced with something like this

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 4b2d625914

easy to fix