Locked: Friend Helping to Buy a Tesla Model 3 in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2021 6:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2011
472 posts
395 upvotes

Friend Helping to Buy a Tesla Model 3 in Quebec

I live in Ontario and I’m looking to get a Tesla Model 3 standard range. I’m trying to maximize the amount of rebates I can get and have a family friend that lives in Quebec. My plan was for them to buy the car and I buy the car from them privately after. A couple of implications that I have in mind is that they already have a Model 3. Is the Quebec incentive limited per household or per individual? In addition, how would tax implications work? Is it even financially worth it if I get taxed twice? Are there any other hidden fees I should account for?

Tried my best to look online but couldn’t find the answer to this situation. Quebec’s $8000 rebate on top of the federal $5000 rebate makes the car super tempting.
Share:
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7339 posts
5360 upvotes
Kitchener
They need to purchase it and have it registered in Quebec for a minimum of 3 years. So you can buy it from them after and register in Ontario.

"each vehicle must have been registered in Québec for at least 36 months."
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28495 posts
13837 upvotes
Toronto
Are you paying for your friend's 1st year of ownership as well, in terms of car payment, such that they get a free car to use on your dime ? If not, how will you determine what is the fair value after 12 months of their ownership ? For sure, you will have to pay 13% to register in Ontario. I can see your potential savings, if any, is going down the drain.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2011
472 posts
395 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: They need to purchase it and have it registered in Quebec for a minimum of 3 years. So you can buy it from them after and register in Ontario.

"each vehicle must have been registered in Québec for at least 36 months."
cristianosham wrote: three year sitting around depreciation is worth $8000 rebate to you?

https://transitionenergetique.gouv.qc.c ... ortez-vert
booblehead wrote: Are you paying for your friend's 1st year of ownership as well, in terms of car payment, such that they get a free car to use on your dime ? If not, how will you determine what is the fair value after 12 months of their ownership ? For sure, you will have to pay 13% to register in Ontario. I can see your potential savings, if any, is going down the drain.
Thanks for the fast response guys. I knew there had to be a catch lol. I got excited when I went through these links and didn't see anything about having the car registered in QC for at least 36 months.

https://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca ... e-neuf.asp

https://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca ... e-neuf.asp
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12137 posts
6689 upvotes
Brampton
Maybe you could "move" there for 36 months.
Sep 8, 2010
524 posts
633 upvotes
Ottawa
What you are attempting to do is fraud.
There is no other answer for you than move to Quebec and pay your tax there if you want to have the credit.
Dec 4, 2013
575 posts
247 upvotes
Mississauga
Why don't you ask him to sell you his tesla 3 and he can get this new one. He'll probably include the rebate in the selling price of his old tesla 3. Plus he's a reliable friend so you know the product isn't abused.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7339 posts
5360 upvotes
Kitchener
It's a basic 4 step process:

1 - MOVE to Quebec
2 - Buy the vehicle
3 - Live there for 3 years
4 - Move back to Ontario
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1398 posts
299 upvotes
ORLEANS
I did this, have property in Quebec. Work in Quebec. Registered home address is quebec. Quebec license. But actually main home is Ottawa. Car is registered in Quebec.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
Palidino wrote: I did this, have property in Quebec. Work in Quebec. Registered home address is quebec. Quebec license. But actually main home is Ottawa. Car is registered in Quebec.
So you're a QC resident?
Aug 21, 2010
773 posts
297 upvotes
toronto
just have you friend purchase and put insurance under there name,,,and ownership and all licencing...and you just pay later for car and insurance and renel licening ...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28495 posts
13837 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: It's a basic 4 step process:

1 - MOVE to Quebec
2 - Buy the vehicle
3 - Live there for 3 years
4 - Move back to Ontario
So, op needs to uproot his life, find new place, job and friends to save some tax credits. Oh! Isn’t Quebec also has a higher personal tax rates as well ?