• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 9:17 am
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
385 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

frigidaire dryer knob. Model Mex731cas3

So basically this is a rant + seeking help post.

Recently the dryer knob broke down. I went to https://www.partselect.ca/ to find the knob which is for my dryer model number. I found one. Couldn't verify the part number but description says it will fit the said model. Ordered the knob (C$40) and now when its here, it doesn't fit. The shaft is bigger than the hole in the knob so its not going in.

I am so pissed. same thing happened with me when ihad to order a part for my dishwasher. Had to order from 4-5 sources and finally found someone on ebay.

So now the questions

1. How do you make sure that the part you are ordering is the correct one and will fit. I have never done any household chores growing up so i am learning things one by one

2. Where can i find the knob for my dryer :(
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6251 posts
2889 upvotes
Durham
hyph3n wrote: So basically this is a rant + seeking help post.

Recently the dryer knob broke down. I went to https://www.partselect.ca/ to find the knob which is for my dryer model number. I found one. Couldn't verify the part number but description says it will fit the said model. Ordered the knob (C$40) and now when its here, it doesn't fit. The shaft is bigger than the hole in the knob so its not going in.

I am so pissed. same thing happened with me when ihad to order a part for my dishwasher. Had to order from 4-5 sources and finally found someone on ebay.

So now the questions

1. How do you make sure that the part you are ordering is the correct one and will fit. I have never done any household chores growing up so i am learning things one by one

2. Where can i find the knob for my dryer :(

Look in your manual.

Call Frigidaire and have them send you the knob. They will need the model number.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4798 posts
4547 upvotes
Toronto
Should have gone to Reliable Parts in person. They can confirm if it's the correct part and may have it in stock. Lots of locations in the GTA. For example, is it this knob? : LINK

Enter your postal code to get stock levels in-store.

I usually know my part and just run in to buy it, so I don't need assistance, but I've been in line behind homeowners who only brings an obscure part and the Reliable Parts employee is patiently helping them figure out and find the correct part. There's also Amre Supply, but Reliable Parts has more locations in the GTA.

Hopefully, you can return it to Parts Select. Then take a photo of the label of your model number (to ensure it's the correct model) and the old knob to a Reliable Parts that has the knob in stock so you can confirm it's the right one. If it's still the wrong one, they can try to figure it out for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7531 posts
8096 upvotes
Vancouver
Other options:

- Epoxy the old knob back together.

- Use a 3D printer to make your own knob.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
385 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: Should have gone to Reliable Parts in person. They can confirm if it's the correct part and may have it in stock. Lots of locations in the GTA. For example, is it this knob? : LINK

Enter your postal code to get stock levels in-store.

I usually know my part and just run in to buy it, so I don't need assistance, but I've been in line behind homeowners who only brings an obscure part and the Reliable Parts employee is patiently helping them figure out and find the correct part. There's also Amre Supply, but Reliable Parts has more locations in the GTA.

Hopefully, you can return it to Parts Select. Then take a photo of the label of your model number (to ensure it's the correct model) and the old knob to a Reliable Parts that has the knob in stock so you can confirm it's the right one. If it's still the wrong one, they can try to figure it out for you.
thanks ... no this is "timer" knob which is lightly bigger in size. I am looking for the knob which is used to turn on the dryer once the timer is set. its right next to the timer knob but smaller in size.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4624 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Partselect.ca isn't an authorized Frigidaire parts distributor. That's your first problem.

https://www.frigidaire.ca/Owner-Center/ ... stributor/

But regardless, if you're sure you ordered the right part, then tell them to fix their mistake.

Was the knob packaged in anything with the part number on it? Does that match what you ordered?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4798 posts
4547 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: thanks ... no this is "timer" knob which is lightly bigger in size. I am looking for the knob which is used to turn on the dryer once the timer is set. its right next to the timer knob but smaller in size.
So look around the site for the correct one or go in-person. That's just the first result that shows up as a knob for that model.