None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7316 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough

Front Door Handle won't press down

Not sure what happened, but when I tried to re-enter the house this morning, the handle on the front door no longer presses down to open. I was in a hurry and going back in wasn't urgent, so I left it for now. What is my alternative tonight? Is calling a locksmith the only option?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
153 upvotes
Wood Bridge
same thing happened to me yast year. the heat actually expanded something inside the lock causing the mechanizm to sease or fail. I had to go in thru my garage then took the lock off the door, took it back to home depo, and bought a Weiser brand, ya paid a lot more, but it so far has never given me an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8309 posts
1889 upvotes
Ontario
wesleyw wrote: Not sure what happened, but when I tried to re-enter the house this morning, the handle on the front door no longer presses down to open. I was in a hurry and going back in wasn't urgent, so I left it for now. What is my alternative tonight? Is calling a locksmith the only option?
Can you lock and unlock the door? If you can, at least you can rule out a stuck deadbolt.

If you can still unlock the door, have you tried applying pressure on the door/handle?
If the latch is not broken, might just need some WD40.

If the latch is broken, then that's a different story. It's likely not that, but I'm not there.
I've dealt with 'sticking' deadbolts and handles before, but every time WD40 fixed it for me.

The likely cause FIRST is some kind of friction preventing you from pressing down.
Try some force without breaking it first to see if you can 'unstick' it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7316 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
onlineharvest wrote: Can you lock and unlock the door? If you can, at least you can rule out a stuck deadbolt.

If you can still unlock the door, have you tried applying pressure on the door/handle?
If the latch is not broken, might just need some WD40.

If the latch is broken, then that's a different story. It's likely not that, but I'm not there.
I've dealt with 'sticking' deadbolts and handles before, but every time WD40 fixed it for me.

The likely cause FIRST is some kind of friction preventing you from pressing down.
Try some force without breaking it first to see if you can 'unstick' it.
It's not the deadbolt, definitely the latch or the handle.
I did put quite a bit of force, not quite body weight but it was close, and it wouldn't budge. I would try again later but I'm hoping time will help, otherwise locksmith is pretty much the next option?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17115 posts
7466 upvotes
I had an issue with my front door lock (granted it is also almost 40 years old) where I experience the same. Pressing down on the handle would do nothing. In the end there were some worn out pieces inside the latch itself (but being 40 years old I could not get any parts) causing it to stop.

If you do choose to take the latch apart be careful because mine had springs and such inside, so if you open it quickly they can fly out. Take pictures to help with reassembly.

I assume you have access to another door to enter your home? If so and if the inside handle does not work either, you can remove the inside handle and remove the outside latch. You can then manually open and close the door. Obviously not a permanent solution but it will allow you to replace the broken parts.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17115 posts
7466 upvotes
I had an issue with my front door lock (granted it is also almost 40 years old) where I experience the same. Pressing down on the handle would do nothing. In the end there were some worn out pieces inside the latch itself (but being 40 years old I could not get any parts) causing it to stop.

If you do choose to take the latch apart be careful because mine had springs and such inside, so if you open it quickly they can fly out. Take pictures to help with reassembly.

I assume you have access to another door to enter your home? If so and if the inside handle does not work either, you can remove the inside handle and remove the outside latch. You can then manually open and close the door. Obviously not a permanent solution but it will allow you to replace the broken parts.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7316 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
TrevorK wrote: I assume you have access to another door to enter your home? If so and if the inside handle does not work either, you can remove the inside handle and remove the outside latch. You can then manually open and close the door. Obviously not a permanent solution but it will allow you to replace the broken parts.
Unfortunately not - side storm door locks from the inside online
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8309 posts
1889 upvotes
Ontario
wesleyw wrote: Unfortunately not - side storm door locks from the inside online
Hmmm. I mean, if that's the only way in, and its stuck, can you call a locksmith and have them 'ready to go' if being more aggressive doesn't solve it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7316 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
onlineharvest wrote: Did you get it resolved?
Yeah ended up getting a locksmith. It was a Weiser lock that had the plastic box inside that cracked. Sent a request for replacement from Weiser and good to go now.