Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1541 posts
1883 upvotes
Ottawa

Front door handleset

We’re getting a new front door installed.
It will be THIS style in red (with red trim) with 1 sidelight. We have a more traditional looking house (60+ years old).

We need to get our own handleset for the door and looking for advice. What finish? Brand?

I’ve heard Emtek is a solid brand...but worth the premium?

Any guidance is appreciated. Never purchased door hardware before.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1168 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
I like Schlage stuff, but I am not well versed in door hardware options.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26693 posts
5819 upvotes
I've personally had nothing but positive experiences with cheaper, big box store brands. I'm going on 10 years now with a cheaper electronic one from Lowes and absolutely no issues or complaints. So I can't justify paying for a premium brand, but to each their own.

As for the finish, do you have other exterior doors? If so, you probably want to match what's on them, or replace all of them. If the door is red, I would think a matte black would look best, but that's just personal preference. Go into a store and look at them and see what you think
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8076 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a wide variety of brands and styles, most with a lifetime warranty on the mechanical works, so really you should pick what you like.

Most models offer a couple of styles like "contemporary" (plain finish with square corners), or some antique-looking style with various embellishments. Also different finishes: shiny chrome or brass, brushed metal, darker antique bronze.

Various security grades are available, e.g. ANSI grade 1 is top commercial-level down to ANSI grade 3 is basic residential level. But do you really care how many sledgehammer blows your lock can withstand if you have a window right next to the door?

Consider the option of getting an electronic deadbolt with a combination lock. It adds a great deal of convenience.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Lowe’s “Gatehouse” is the old Weiser IP from before B&D bought them around 2004ish and brought their shit Kwikset stuff to Canada. It’s really good stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1541 posts
1883 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the advice so far!

Good to know that the more premium stuff is mostly branding. Wasn’t sure if it was worth paying for better stuff (especially given the harsh climate I’m in - Ottawa winters).

We have a sliding patio door out the back of the house so no other exterior hardware to match. I’m leaning towards a brushed nickel finish. I do love the matte black look but it just won’t fit with our traditional looking house (white aluminum siding, window shutters, and grey brick on the bottom half of the house).
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
mikek33 wrote: Thanks for the advice so far!

Good to know that the more premium stuff is mostly branding. Wasn’t sure if it was worth paying for better stuff (especially given the harsh climate I’m in - Ottawa winters).

We have a sliding patio door out the back of the house so no other exterior hardware to match. I’m leaning towards a brushed nickel finish. I do love the matte black look but it just won’t fit with our traditional looking house (white aluminum siding, window shutters, and grey brick on the bottom half of the house).
At one time, you got better “guts” when you paid more. Now they all seem to have the same failure points and are plastic inside. You are generally paying for the finish and the warranty now.

The pro stuff we have access to is, generally, more shit than the higher end store models now.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1492 upvotes
Ontario
Imho I'd look for one that has lots of decent+ reviews. You know its probably been made for a while and will continue to be.
The one we had on my moms house broke and we had a bear of a time trying to find a replacement that sat/mounted in the same spots to hid any marks from painting the door. Finally found one but it cost $$$ so I sanded down the door, repainted and bought a more popular one I know I can (I hope) find a replacement for in the future...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Oct 28, 2008
65 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Another vote for schlage for better QC and warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much on the grade.
Since you have a sidelight beside it, thieves not necessary have to break your handset to get access...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
jeff840322 wrote: Another vote for schlage for better QC and warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much on the grade.
Since you have a sidelight beside it, thieves not necessary have to break your handset to get access...
This depends heavily on how your door was made. A sidelite doesnt make it more or less secure, beefed up plating in behind the lock area does, but that needs to be done before the door is installed