Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1395 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto

Front door paint?

What's the best type of paint to paint a front door? Exterior double door needs some love this summer. Not looking for too too shiny but something that I can wipe clean every now and then. Builder paint sucks.

Dulux seems to be having a sale starting June 18...anything good there that anyone had used?

Thanks!
JS
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12146 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
James Stonehenge wrote: What's the best type of paint to paint a front door? Exterior double door needs some love this summer. Not looking for too too shiny but something that I can wipe clean every now and then. Builder paint sucks.

Dulux seems to be having a sale starting June 18...anything good there that anyone had used?

Thanks!
Ideally you need a 2 part paint that you mix before applying and spray on. Look into automotive paints vs tremclad type stuff
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23535 posts
22496 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
One of the best names in paint is Benjamin Moore
But it’s not cheap... you get what you pay for
We did our wood front door last year in their specialty paint “Grand Entrance”
Awesome paint...
Door gets tons of compliments
Worth every penny
You can only get it at their Branded Stores though

In the past I have also used CIL Paint on an exterior metal door
(Look for the one specifically for metal)
Hardwearing... door did not need a touch up for over 10 years
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
PointsHubby wrote: One of the best names in paint is Benjamin Moore
Awesome paint...
Worth every penny

+1
I don't overthink it anymore.
If I need paint I just walk in to a BM "design center" and just ask them for advice (my centre stands by their advice and will make it right no matter what) I don't bother looking for deals on paint. I know I'm saving on labour With BM
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome paint...
Worth every penny

+1 for BM. We did our front door (70+ year original wood door) with their exterior line over 6 years ago and it's still going strong. This was before their newer exterior line came out so I imagine their newer stuff is even better.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
We did our wood front door last year in their specialty paint “Grand Entrance
Awesome paint...
Worth every penny

+2. Just bought this paint.
Last edited by koffey on Jun 11th, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
673 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Benjamin Moore is not the same BM that we used to get in the old days, before they banned all the great chemicals and other bad stuff that made their paint great. Its still better than most of the others, but its not the same.
I cheaped out last time and used Behr from Home Depot. It was actually quite good and I was happy with it. But then I re-do my doors every two years.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15088 upvotes
GTA, ON
I used Behr for my garage door and side door, works well enough.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
How do you guys prep the door if there is already existing paint on it? Do you just clean the surface and paint directly over it?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2344 posts
484 upvotes
Торонто
Sand it so the paint can adhere to it.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
o0vL wrote: Sand it so the paint can adhere to it.
Lightly sand with fine grit? Is the purpose just to rough up the existing paint or do you need to get it down to the metal?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2793 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
VertigoM wrote: Lightly sand with fine grit? Is the purpose just to rough up the existing paint or do you need to get it down to the metal?
I'm wondering about this too. I have a metal door and the paint is flaking off. I'm not sure how to peel all of that paint. If I just peel off whatever is flaking off and then I paint over the rest I'm thinking there will be other parts that will start to peel off (from the original paint that is touching the metal).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
I usually just scrub it down with a really rough scotch brite pad (Not the kind for dishes but the industrial kind for surface prep) and then varsol it then just paint right over.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1729 posts
1558 upvotes
Ottawa
VertigoM wrote: How do you guys prep the door if there is already existing paint on it? Do you just clean the surface and paint directly over it?
VertigoM wrote:
Lightly sand with fine grit? Is the purpose just to rough up the existing paint or do you need to get it down to the metal?
ds2chan wrote: I'm wondering about this too. I have a metal door and the paint is flaking off. I'm not sure how to peel all of that paint. If I just peel off whatever is flaking off and then I paint over the rest I'm thinking there will be other parts that will start to peel off (from the original paint that is touching the metal).
I'm having this issue with my front door (outside portion). My plan is to take it off its hinges, belt sand and scrape that side of the door to bare metal. The rest I'll do a quick sand. Clean, prime and then paint.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9566 posts
2185 upvotes
Somewhere
I just painted my front door with BM Regal Select.

My front door is sheltered by a porch, so I didn't think I need the Grand Entrance paint.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2344 posts
484 upvotes
Торонто
VertigoM wrote:
light sand 80-100 grit should be fine....depending on the condition of the door. if you go down to bare metal then reprime and paint. as i said above, sanding is to help scratch up the surface so that the new paint has something to adhere too. if you just repaint over everything with no prep, the paint will stick but it may not bond properly and overtime it will bubble/peel
ds2chan wrote: I'm wondering about this too. I have a metal door and the paint is flaking off. I'm not sure how to peel all of that paint. If I just peel off whatever is flaking off and then I paint over the rest I'm thinking there will be other parts that will start to peel off (from the original paint that is touching the metal).
if the paint is peeling, scrape off what you can (don't force it off) and lightly sand and feather it out so that when you re prime, there will be a semi smooth transition. you could spot prime, but i personally would just reprime the whole thing, wipe down clean and repaint

prep is key for beautiful finish

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)