• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 2:56 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
867 posts
475 upvotes

Front Entry Door recommendation

Hello
I am getting rid of my old solid wood entry door (single model) & debating between clear glass & frosted glass model.
can you please let me know your thoughts on this which one is better? my front entrance is not directly facing the door but of course still privacy is important.
My main requirement is to get as much lighting as possible.
So do you suggest clear glass & then put a sheet/coating inside to block visibility? Will this really give privacy i mean is it as good as having frosted one?
any ideas/recommendations much appreciated please.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Hello
I am getting rid of my old solid wood entry door (single model) & debating between clear glass & frosted glass model.
can you please let me know your thoughts on this which one is better? my front entrance is not directly facing the door but of course still privacy is important.
So do you suggest clear glass & then put a sheet/coating inside to block visibility? Will this really give privacy i mean is it as good as having frosted one?
If your going to cover the clear glass with a film, might as well get frosted glass.

We have full frosted glass, with iron design in between the outside and inside glass. Only the inside glass is frosted, it let's in plenty of light and complete privacy.

PS i hate the stick on film and just no to the old school curtains.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
We have the same as JonSnow. If we had clear like some of our neighbours, people can see almost my entire main floor from outside.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1388 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Do they sell panels that you can replace the glass with or put over the glass panels?
JS
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3321 posts
900 upvotes
Ancaster
James Stonehenge wrote: Do they sell panels that you can replace the glass with or put over the glass panels?
If your door is in decent shape, you can replace your glass inserts if you like. Our were builder grade Pollard full clear glass when we bought our house. We replaced the glass inserts with the wrought iron we currently have and sold the Pollard inserts on Kijiji.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
nowhere2010 wrote: Hello
Get frosted, especially if the sidelights are narrow. Narrow window dressing are difficult to find, and you'll end up hacking a DIY job which won't be as good as factory privacy. You don't need any window treatment with frosted glass for privacy because unless you go RIGHT up to the glass, objects are merely a blur, no shape, etc. You can see light (e.g., from a lit TV in a dark room). You'll probably have more light with frosted because it lets the light in, but if you had clear, you may want to cover is so people can't see you when approaching the door.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6839 posts
2615 upvotes
BC
This is RFD,

this would be the lowest cost way of achieving what you want

no point in ditching a fine solid wood entry door and incurring the cost of a replacement with accompanying cost of ripping out the old jambs, threshold, hardware, etc.

Unless of course the present door is not providing sufficient insulating properties or is otherwise not worth saving.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)