• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 5:22 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2012
115 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

Front license plate placement

I recently picked up a vehicle through a private sale and the vehicle has no front plate holder. I'm trying to decide whether to drill a hole in the bumper and have the plate be centered or to attach a holder to the tow hook, which would make it off-center.

Just wondering how people feel about the off-center look. I don't think it looks as nice, but at the same time, I'm not too keen on drilling a hole into the bumper.
22 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Take it to the dealer and have a factory plate bracket added?
Mar 1, 2017
100 posts
60 upvotes
What model car is it? There is nothing illegal about it being off to the side.
Another option is a Sto N Sho which is what I used on my car.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16896 posts
14492 upvotes
GTA, ON
At any moment you'll get the no front plate group telling you why front plates are stupid, blah blah blah even though it's required by law in Ontario. Winking Face
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
Putting the licence plate off centre is acceptable if you are under 21. For adults, put it where it's supposed to go.

You don't necessarily have to drill holes in your bumper, depending on the make, model and what the factory provisions are for front plate mounting. Also there are other options like mentioned above.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
ES_Revenge wrote: Putting the licence plate off centre is acceptable if you are under 21. For adults, put it where it's supposed to go.

You don't necessarily have to drill holes in your bumper, depending on the make, model and what the factory provisions are for front plate mounting. Also there are other options like mentioned above.

Don't Alfa Romeo owners get an exemption?
[OP]
May 2, 2012
115 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
SeanJ194 wrote: What model car is it? There is nothing illegal about it being off to the side.
Another option is a Sto N Sho which is what I used on my car.
It's a 1995 Acura NSX. I'm definitely looking at the Sto N Sho as an option. I watched some youtube videos on options, which is why I started the thread. I'm not that keen on the off-center look, but the people on youtube that have videos on using the tow hook seem to be very against drilling holes into the bumper. Just wanted to confirm that it's not that crazy of an idea to drill holes into a virgin bumper.
Mar 1, 2017
100 posts
60 upvotes
I would never drill a hole in my bumper. Either use a tow hook mount but they tend to rotate and then if you take it out for a car show you have to our the plug back in and hope you don’t chip the paint off the cap.
I did the Sto N Sho and it is 2 seconds to remove it. I even used to drive with it off and when I got pulled over I just said I just came from a car show and put it back in. It also worked well to let me know how low the front was and it it was hitting the ground.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12821 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: With a plate like that? Still a kid.
Quit being so judgey. Cars like the Alfa and the Mitsu Evo have the offset location from the factory, though not through the tow hook point.

I think it depends on the car. I think avoiding drilling the bumper is the first priority.
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: Quit being so judgey.
Nah, I'm good.
KorruptioN wrote: I think it depends on the car. I think avoiding drilling the bumper is the first priority.
Yeah not like following the law should be any kind of priority.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1965 posts
2264 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: With a plate like that? Still a kid.
Where would an adult like yourself mount it without blocking air flow?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8336 posts
4049 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Some cars were designed for off-centre licence plates from the get go (or perhaps license plate location was an after thought secondary to design). e.g. the below which is older than most of you

I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
^ Yes, I was trying to remember - a few domestic cars in the 70s or 80s had factory offset plate brackets. It was almost an in thing.
Mar 31, 2011
446 posts
410 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
95 NSX??

+1 vote for no-drill center mount.
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8336 posts
4049 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
macnut wrote: ^ Yes, I was trying to remember - a few domestic cars in the 70s or 80s had factory offset plate brackets. It was almost an in thing.
Even earlier (mid/late 60s) due to the nose

I'm sure most will notice what is the obvious change since then in the above photo

Also this one (seen maybe 2 of these or else the stablemate Dodge Daytona in my life)

I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2077 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't drill the bumper myself as that would be my last option, some of the other options posted on this thread look very good with no damage to your car.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I see tons of old men driving their ecoboost F-150's around with off centre plates....
Images
  • ecoboost.jpg
Feb 28, 2021
241 posts
207 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: I see tons of old men driving their ecoboost F-150's around with off centre plates....
On early EcoBoost trucks the plate was offset from the factory in order to provide air to the intercooler. This was changed on the later trucks.