Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
719 upvotes
Nova Scotia

Frontier or Tacoma

Been thinking about these two vehicles lately. Price wise it seems the Nissan can be had with the pro 4x package for 6-10k less than any Toyota TRD models. Been looking at 0-3, years old. Then again, the Tacoma just looks so good and of course wins depreciation big time.

Has anyone make a decision between these two and can share their reasons for their choice?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
What do you need the vehicle for?

The 2020 Frontier has the new, upcoming 2021 models engine and transmission. Because of the new generation, you may consider waiting to see if any closeout deals pop up.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2302 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
I like the design/looks of the Taco. However, do your research as Taco owners (latest generation) have complained of the transmission (gear hunting).
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
The current Tacoma's 6-speed automatic is its weak spot. If you're getting a manual transmission, then all is well and actually its probably the safest bet for reliability for both trucks. For the Frontier the most notable thing is its awful turning radius especially if you get the longer box, suddenly a normal 3 point turn becomes the 5 or 6 point turn. Neither is that nice to be in, neither is comfortable, neither are powerhouses. Both are just ok. I will say the previous Tacoma can last a very long time...if the frame doesn't rot.

Personally I'd skip this class of truck unless the size really is a problem and even these aren't really that small. Against their bigger brothers and the big full size American trucks...I wouldn't go with these.
- Jegan V
Jun 16, 2007
107 posts
31 upvotes
Tacoma for the resale value. I would strongly suggest a look at the full size trucks. Tacoma was first on my list when I also wanted a truck but I found there was less room in it than my rav4 at the time especially the back for the kids. Then I considered the tundra sticking with the Toyota theme. Mileage scared me off and it felt massive coming from the Rav. Father in law always had F-150 s and I looked at that and it felt great. The mid sized trucks are not that much smaller in length, get similar milage, and have less room. Pricing is the same ballpark once incentives are taken into consideration. And way more capacity for doing truck things.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
I was looking at the Tacoma too but the quality has gone down hill with the 3rd generation. Reports of driveline vibrations, engine leaks, faulty crawl control, poor transmission shifting, rear drums locking up, cheap paint etc. Read up on the Tacoma forums and you’ll see.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3488 upvotes
Victoria
I think a Taco is a better vehicle, but I think Frontier's might be the smaller truck (not sure about this years edition).

For me, I wanted to magically find a 2004 Tacoma (the last of the small generation) TRD 4X4, extended cab (not 4dr), with low KM's. That was almost impossible to find so I settled for a 2007 Ford Ranger 4x4 Level II with low KM's.

I hope, one day, someone brings back small trucks and makes 4x4 editions :) I guess that gets me back to the frontier. They don't seem quite as bloated as other modern "midsize" trucks.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
redblack wrote: I was looking at the Tacoma too but the quality has gone down hill with the 3rd generation. Reports of driveline vibrations, engine leaks, faulty crawl control, poor transmission shifting, rear drums locking up, cheap paint etc. Read up on the Tacoma forums and you’ll see.
absolutely, non of the above OP mentioned.
We have Tacomas in our fleet, not the best frankly.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
redblack wrote: I was looking at the Tacoma too but the quality has gone down hill with the 3rd generation. Reports of driveline vibrations, engine leaks, faulty crawl control, poor transmission shifting, rear drums locking up, cheap paint etc. Read up on the Tacoma forums and you’ll see.
Possum77 wrote: absolutely, non of the above OP mentioned.
We have Tacomas in our fleet, not the best frankly.
What do you think about Tundra or Ridgeline over the Taco ?

Toyota not what they used to be, hearing complaints about the new Rav4, and about 4 yr ago a friend of mine had to get a new transmission on his new Camry.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
719 upvotes
Nova Scotia
OKSpring wrote: What do you need the vehicle for?

The 2020 Frontier has the new, upcoming 2021 models engine and transmission. Because of the new generation, you may consider waiting to see if any closeout deals pop up.
Yellowknife, Towing a small trailer/boat, some mild off-road for camping/fishing, and the odd need for the bed for home renos. Part of what attracted me to the Frontier was the fact that until 2020 it was based on an old, time-tested setup. Apparently it is also plug-n-play with the Titan's drivetrain. But the Taco looks so good :)

Thanks all others, good points and lots to think on.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tundra is meh, I do have coworker using it everyday for work, I can ask.
Ridgeline is not a real pickup, but amazing ride, I was considering it, but needed a cap over bed and apparently its an issue with ridgeline and aftermarket covers.
Feb 9, 2009
228 posts
35 upvotes
More after market parts and resources (forums, youtubes etc.) available for the Toyota products - with Nissan you are stuck with a small(er) network of dealerships.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
Taco +. 6 speed, non extended cab looks nice
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: What do you think about Tundra or Ridgeline over the Taco ?

Toyota not what they used to be, hearing complaints about the new Rav4, and about 4 yr ago a friend of mine had to get a new transmission on his new Camry.
I was going to get a Taco . But many people complain about it's mileage . It is on par with the Tundra . So you maybe better off getting a year older Tundra .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: I was going to get a Taco . But many people complain about it's mileage . It is on par with the Tundra . So you maybe better off getting a year older Tundra .
I have had all 3 of those. Tacoma mileage in nowhere near the Tundra. In the Tacoma my long term average was 12L/100kms and in the Tundra it was 16.5L/100kms. Ridgeline was slightly better than Tacoma.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
aleks wrote: I have had all 3 of those. Tacoma mileage in nowhere near the Tundra. In the Tacoma my long term average was 12L/100kms and in the Tundra it was 16.5L/100kms. Ridgeline was slightly better than Tacoma.
l

You must be very easy on the gas . All the people I know that own Tacos are in the 14 to 16 litre . The engine is outdated . My father inlaw has a Ridgeline . He is getting 10 litres on the highway and 12 on split driving .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: l

You must be very easy on the gas . All the people I know that own Tacos are in the 14 to 16 litre . The engine is outdated . My father inlaw has a Ridgeline . He is getting 10 litres on the highway and 12 on split driving .
Are you talking about the 4.0L engine or the 3.5L in the Tacoma? There is no reason anyone should be getting 14-16L stock in the 3.5L Tacoma unless they drive in heavy city traffic, in which case the driven the same way the Tundra would be 4-5L higher.

I guess the takeaway is, I drove them both the same way and I got the 4.5L/100kms higher consumption in the Tundra.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
FWIW a coworker got a frontier at a discount and I've never heard him say he likes it, or anything positive about it actually. I recall him being annoyed at orange dials reminding him of dash warning lights.

I wasn't in the market for a truck, but when I was casually looking around I recall seeing plenty of complaints about the taco transmission on toyotaforums.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/