Travel

Frugal cell phone options for a weekend trip to Seattle?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 2:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
202 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Frugal cell phone options for a weekend trip to Seattle?

Hi guys,

I live in BC and will be travelling to Oregon for the weekend with family. I'm on a bit of a tight budget and am wondering if any of you are familiar with economical options for cell phone usage.

I'm currently on Zoomer's $36/month promo plan (400 minutes Canada-wide and 2GB data). The cheapest roaming package I can buy from Zoomer costs $20 and permits 25 minutes of talk time and 100 outgoing texts. Having data to learn about the areas I'm in would be nice, but I'm going to try relying on free wifi.

Should I go with this option or are there better options I could subscribe to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
5 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1419 upvotes
Toronto
Or just do without cell coverage - we almost never bother and just rely on wifi/google hangouts or facetime/skype.
May 18, 2008
93 posts
25 upvotes
Halifax
We use Roam in the US, about $5/day gets us all we need for voice/text/data. However, I did use whatsapp for staying in touch while in Europe recently, and had little issue finding the wifi to make that practical.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12479 posts
2715 upvotes
Mississauga
wirebound wrote: Or just do without cell coverage - we almost never bother and just rely on wifi/google hangouts or facetime/skype.
That's what I do when I travel. I just rely on the wifi at my accommodation to make a call or send texts. When I'm out travelling, I want to be out seeing the sights, not talking to people from back home! :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)