• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2021 7:07 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 14, 2021
59 posts
106 upvotes

Frugal groceries for under $20

These are hard times and I've never been one to eat out, or order food even before the pandemic.

I like cooking and deals on groceries. This post is just to show what you can get for under $20 by being frugal.

In all honesty, a person / 2 people can survive on this for few days if you really wanted to.

There are those who like to eat out and pay for expensive Starbucks drinks due to habits, that will disagree but this is to be expected as part of self defence.

Also attached is the pic of 2 x dozens eggs from SDM for $3.98. Limit of 2 but you can go to your car and go back in. I got 4 dozens.
Images
  • PXL_20210213_183743427.jpg
  • PXL_20210213_183715738.jpg
  • PXL_20210213_183523677.jpg
95 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9237 posts
3566 upvotes
I have been getting an offer from SDM for No Name or Braeburn eggs, $1.49/dz, limit 2. That means protein for $1.12/lb or $2.98/2 dz.

I do not think all the carbs are a good deal though. People at the lowest income levels can get them from food banks for free. Small servings of rice or pasta or potatoes are more cost effective and healthier because they cost far less by pound for finished product, you can control the portion sizes easier by making less, they do not start with added fat like oven fries, & they are shelf-stable meaning there is no rush to power through your supply or own an additional freezer to have the space to store them. Also you can buy premium brands with fine flavours for less than the processed prepared equivalent. They are taster & more pleasant to eat.

There are many kinds of produce that are available throughout the year for less than $1/lb including fundamental Western cooking basics like onions, carrots - or even celery, which comes in big, multi-pound bunches that can stay in good condition for weeks at regular fridge temperatures. Buying tomatoes in the winter is a little crazy because they are never as nice in flavour as what is available in the spring, summer & fall, Ontario hothouse through harvest season.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44602 posts
7685 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Lentils are rich in protein and nutrients. They are great in rice dishes or even simmered in a tomatoey sauce.

You can accompany it with rice and chicken. Both also cheap. But you won’t have to eat as much meat with the protein rich lentils.

Eggs is always a cost effective protein.

Canned tuna is one too. Sometimes i make a green bean casserole with tuna and cheese.

Pork shoulder loin can get super cheap sometimes its $1.99 on sale. Probably $2.99/lb on sale these days... but thats lean meat!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9237 posts
3566 upvotes
I am in for the pork loin too.

7.5 lb chunk of pork loin = $15

= 3 X 2.5 lb roasts (20 minutes/lb = only 50 minutes roast time)

Each roast = at least 1 pig-out dinner for 2 with veg, potatoes & gravy, a day of sandwiches, & enough pork for a second dish like stir-fry or the aforementioned lentils that might stretch 2-3 days

= at least 12 days of meals averaging $1.25/day for 2 for the meat portion, & 1/2 those days are lax cooking.

Rice or pasta < $0.20 per cup cooked. That is 100g dry. Potatoes are running < $0.20 1/2 lb on sale still. That compared to < $0.17 per serving of bagels & muffins that are eaten without meat or produce.

Take the $7.91 spent on 7 x 710 ml pop and put it towards a big box of Tea India or Tata tea bags 216s for $4.99 and pay $0.28 for 14 servings. You have $2.92 to go towards 4L 1% milk at $4.69.

Yes you are laying out more money at 1X, but it will let you eat for close to 2 weeks rather than "a few days." If you shop like this every "few days" you are going to lay out at least $80 in the same period and have a lot less variety & eat a lot of diabetogenic stuff.

We do not need to "survive," we need to thrive.
Jun 4, 2020
528 posts
443 upvotes
Clarington, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Lentils are rich in protein and nutrients. They are great in rice dishes or even simmered in a tomatoey sauce.

This reminds me that I've been meaning to make some "lentil chili." Thanks!
Oct 2, 2018
390 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills is fantastic, started going there 6 months ago and found prices to be quite a bit less expensive than most other grocery store.

I do buy all our protein at Costco along with most staples for their quality and large quantities, No Frills for everything else like Sheppards Pie, PC Diet Ginger Ale, Ichiban noodles, fruit, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4908 posts
1251 upvotes
Abbottabad
It's 2021 why the F are people still uploading photos without rotating them so we can actually read it without turning our f'ing heads.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9462 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
S14_Raven wrote: Your grocery list reads like a teens when their parents are on vacation and left em grocery money.. 30% of the budget went to pop??
lol
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
S14_Raven wrote: Your grocery list reads like a teens when their parents are on vacation and left em grocery money.. 30% of the budget went to pop??
This

Sorry but your haul is not what I would consider a GOOD DEAL

Cuz much of it is junk or processed foods.

The only thing I see worthwhile here are the eggs (we often buy them on promo also @ SDM)

And for nutrition ... the Apples & Tomatoes.

Other stuff ... figuring this is your basics for a few days ... I’ll give a pass. These items would formulate my occasional extras in a week vs staples to build meals upon
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12313 posts
1864 upvotes
Kanata
Assumption that the bagels are eaten plain? No spread?
IMO, if you were really frugal, you would be buying 10lb bag of potatoes for $1.88 instead of the fries, and make your own fries.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4776 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote: Assumption that the bagels are eaten plain? No spread?
IMO, if you were really frugal, you would be buying 10lb bag of potatoes for $1.88 instead of the fries, and make your own fries.
OP has been banned since the day this thread was started.
Maybe he got caught shoplifting from RFD? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1682 posts
402 upvotes
Not sure where op is but if any of you have a RCSS near you try the Flash Food app. It is for food that is about to its expiry date. It is great if you have a freezer and are able to use it when meat deals pop up. Basically the offerings are updated everyday, order through the app and pick up at customer service.

I once picked up a package of 8 hamburger buns for $0.50 that I needed and used immediately that day. A box of yellow potatoes (10-15 lbs) for $3.

App may not be for everyone but great once in a while when you can use something right away (or freeze it).
Feb 5, 2007
653 posts
266 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea, i got like almost a kilo or tortellini for $2.50
Nov 1, 2016
970 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: OP has been banned since the day this thread was started.
Maybe he got caught shoplifting from RFD? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Just wondering how do you get banned?

Too many downvotes in a short time that OP was a member?
Nov 15, 2020
586 posts
320 upvotes
french frys is a luxury item. So are the muffins. You can create potato wedges on your own, and make muffins or bread on your own. You asked, so I answered.

I bet you're hiding soda off frame of the camera.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4776 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
crayola1 wrote: Just wondering how do you get banned?

Too many downvotes in a short time that OP was a member?
The account was created in January. If I had to guess, OP was likely someone who did something bad previously, then created a new account.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1135 posts
607 upvotes
Ripley
This guy is inspirational. I love his free condiment drawer but I don't eat out enough to collect that much. Also not $20/week but still cheap and accessible for most people, even those that don't know how to cook.

https://www.youtube.com/strugglemeals
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2752 posts
2031 upvotes
Toronto
evilYoda wrote: french frys is a luxury item. So are the muffins. You can create potato wedges on your own, and make muffins or bread on your own. You asked, so I answered.

I bet you're hiding soda off frame of the camera.
Why would they hide the soda and post the receipt? Doesn't make sense.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2752 posts
2031 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: The account was created in January. If I had to guess, OP was likely someone who did something bad previously, then created a new account.
I noticed lots of new banned members lately, was thinking maybe they were fake shill accounts all opened by the same IP to build a presence before shilling.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

mcq2007