Nov 15, 2013
2903 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Frugal Usenet & Blocknews $33/year

Deal Link:
Expiry:
October 3, 2022
Frugal Usenet Sale $33 per year. Includes all Frugal features including 2 backbones (Omicron and UsenetFarm) and 300 GB Blocknews block account for those occasional super high retention needs Once you sign up, you can login in the years ahead and buy further years at the same price, via crypto.
42 replies
Dec 29, 2020
120 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing. Is this still unlimited downloads? Where do the 300gb’s come in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2903 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
departedspaceman wrote: Thanks for sharing. Is this still unlimited downloads? Where do the 300gb’s come in?
Frugal is unlimited, farm is 1.5TB each calendar month and Blocknews is 300gb annually. Blocknews has longer retention (5000+ days).
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2577 posts
2049 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Wrestlemania wrote: Frugal Usenet Sale $33 per year. Includes all Frugal features including 2 backbones (Omicron and UsenetFarm) and 300 GB Blocknews block account for those occasional super high retention needs Once you sign up, you can login in the years ahead and buy further years at the same price, via crypto.
What does this bold item mean? So it's like I have a non-expiring call option on this price just from signing up once, regardless if I let a few years lapse?
Alt. Savings Vehicles Data/Discussion
(4.19% - 4.03%) high-interest-cash-etfs-4-19-4-03-cad-usd-2574002/
(3.65% - 3.20%) big-6-high-interest-cash-funds-accts-3- ... d-2579841/
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2570 posts
1354 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: What does this bold item mean? So it's like I have a non-expiring call option on this price just from signing up once, regardless if I let a few years lapse?
The way I understood it is the deal as advertised is for 1 year at $33. Once you buy the first year and have an account, you can add on more years at the same deal price while the deal is on.

Edit: lol, nvm. The OPs wording is confusing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2903 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ADenariusSaved wrote: What does this bold item mean? So it's like I have a non-expiring call option on this price just from signing up once, regardless if I let a few years lapse?
That's right, you'll always have the opportunity to renew the subscription at $33/year whenever you want.
Jan 25, 2016
930 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
Wrestlemania wrote: Frugal Usenet Sale $33 per year. Includes all Frugal features including 2 backbones (Omicron and UsenetFarm) and 300 GB Blocknews block account for those occasional super high retention needs Once you sign up, you can login in the years ahead and buy further years at the same price, via crypto.
I got Omicron for free. YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5891 posts
2252 upvotes
Toronto
Any way to buy without crypto?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1595 posts
138 upvotes
The owner is testing his crypto billing capabilities this weekend so has put on this sale. Initial payment and renewals are via crypto only.

This is a great deal that will cover the vast majority of situations and the retention can't be beat.
May 23, 2007
902 posts
91 upvotes
Calgary
Never have used crypto to pay, what is the easiest way to sign up to pay in ETH
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3713 posts
879 upvotes
Hamilton
The challenge with usenet is getting in with the good indexers.

What service is the absolute easiest with the least amount of fees for paying with crypto? One of my main indexers only accepts crypto.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
Usenet requires no VPN but requires indexers. It also needs a ton of processing power, like, set aside 2 cores and 8gb RAM to PAR2 fix the download that required 2 separate backbones to completely grab due to takedowns.

Torrents don't require indexers (most are free/ratio driven) or any processing power, but do need a vpn* and you need upload ability, plus to keep the original file available to the swarm and where you need to use it. So say DOCSIS coax with 300 down 10 up isn't really a torrent ratio friendly service while symmetrical 1.5gbps would be.

Both have issues with competition, Usenet has takedowns and torrents need seeders. Usually the early bird gets the worm, so to speak - so automate everything. identical software suites between the downloaders, the -arr line with nzbhydra to rule searching. Work with torrents and Usenet.

Hope this helps. IMO go with the download lockers (real debrid + jdownloader2) if you're not automating and only occasionally download. $25/6 months and it saturates 100MB/s connection almost always (Kodi friendly instant 4k watch for example). Seedbox + torrents likely cost the same as Usenet+ indexers+ good HW, each have their own learning curve.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2577 posts
2049 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
adblink182 wrote: The challenge with usenet is getting in with the good indexers.

What service is the absolute easiest with the least amount of fees for paying with crypto? One of my main indexers only accepts crypto.
Drunkenslug! Set up a Visualping for when site membership opens up [the page changes]: https://visualping.io/
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3713 posts
879 upvotes
Hamilton
ADenariusSaved wrote: Drunkenslug! Set up a Visualping for when site membership opens up [the page changes]: https://visualping.io/
That is my main indexer. When they went down for 24+ hours it made me nervous and want a backup. I have an unmentionable that I have an account I just need to activate with a subscription. Just need to figure out how to send crypto.
Mar 31, 2017
583 posts
557 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: That is my main indexer. When they went down for 24+ hours it made me nervous and want a backup. I have an unmentionable that I have an account I just need to activate with a subscription. Just need to figure out how to send crypto.
Use Shakepay
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36194 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
OakAged wrote: As for costs, here are mine:
Usenet provider:
Feb. 2016: Unlimited subscription to Frugal for USD$50/year; comes with 300 GB block of BlockNews.net each year
Nov. 2016: 1 TB block from Usenet.Farm for E21 (about CAD$32) -- used occasionally when it has something the other two don't

Indexers:
(Didn't record when) Free membership with NZBgeek (very good indexer) - eventually upgraded to lifetime full access when it was on sale (I think it's $1/month without a sale)
Feb. 2022: Lifetime "Legend" account with OzNZB for USD$55 (very good indexer)
Nov. 2016: Lifetime VIP membership with altHUB indexer for USD$5 (good indexer)
Nov. 2016: Lifetime VIP membership with NZBcat indexer for USD$5 (somewhat lame indexer)
Jul. 2022: Year of "Ale" membership with Drunken Slug (1000 API hits and 100 downloads/day) for 10E = CAD$13.66 -- an excellent indexer; not always open for new memberships but grab it when you can
I use TweakNews. I think it costs 35 Euros per year 60 connections 1000 API calls

I have a lifetime sub to NZBPlanet and GingaDaddy. I am looking for another indexer. Which one do you recommend?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2577 posts
2049 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Capindy wrote: Use Shakepay
Shakepay was the easiest and most lax when it came to invading my privacy lol. I think Newton wanted my 3d face scan, wtf is wrong with them.