• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2014 12:55 pm
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
521 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga

Fruit Picking Places around GTA

Thought of having a thread to discuss 2013 year Fruit picking Places. I am new this place and just started exploring from last year

this thread will talk about pros, cons and fruits/Vegetables available for picking. Farmers market information can be included as well.

To start off, we went to Andrew Scenic acres last year (2012) for Asparagus,Strawberries, Raspberries, and Gooseberries.

www.andrewsscenicacres.com/

Pros:
1. Very nice place to hangout
2. kids friendly. They have pony ride
3. Tractor ride to go into the farms
4. Not too far from GTA
Cons:
1. Their pricing is little expensive

This year we want to try whittamores, and some cherry farms
www.whittamoresfarm.com/

Hope we get more responses from this thread which will be helpful for all of us

Happy Picking this year
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1099 posts
113 upvotes
Burlington
vividind wrote: To start off, we went to Andrew Scenic acres last year (2012) for Asparagus,Strawberries, Raspberries, and Gooseberries.

www.andrewsscenicacres.com/

Pros:
1. Very nice place to hangout
2. kids friendly. They have pony ride
3. Tractor ride to go into the farms
4. Not too far from GTA
Small point: they're actually in the GTA rather than "Not to far from..." West GTA, but still GTA. :)

In fact there are dozens just in Halton Region... two dozen plus one in this list, including Andrews', of course. :D
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
521 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the websites list. We are looking little deeper and want your experiences with any particular fruit picking/farmers market place to make the judgement call.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31750 posts
18681 upvotes
Toronto
went to do pick your own many years ago, it was hot as hell. I guess I should not have gone in the middle of the afternoon. Never again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1004 upvotes
N/A
haven't done this in over 20 years.
maybe this year, with the little one.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
521 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Dr Butcher wrote: There are a bunch out in Durham as well. Some are pick your own, some have it already picked (or both). In the past few years we've done, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, apple and pumpkin picking.

http://durhamfarmfresh.ca/
Do you have any recommedations for any particular placE?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
521 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
ippon wrote: haven't done this in over 20 years.
maybe this year, with the little one.
Hoope you will have wonderfultime this year with your little one..
[OP]
Jul 5, 2012
521 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Dr Butcher wrote: My favourites are: Whittamores, Wilmot Orchards, Watson's Farm and Pingle's Farm. They are all nice places to take the family and visit.
never heard others parts from whittamores..Thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10782 posts
5724 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know of any farms open for fruit picking this week (especially in the East)? Most farms said mid june for strawberries :( but I wanted to go this week-end instead...
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10165 posts
4552 upvotes
Toronto
Pochacco wrote: Anyone know of any farms open for fruit picking this week (especially in the East)? Most farms said mid june for strawberries :( but I wanted to go this week-end instead...
whittamore's is in the east end. summer strawberry harvest is june-july.
http://www.whittamoresfarm.com/pyo-summer.html
hard to believe there would be a good selection of strawberries just yet with the way the winter dragged on.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.